PWD Problem

Is the new version of jriver able to play on the computer on which it is installed? I ask because when I installed it it looked like it was working but had in fact lost actual contact with my library. I could see this was the case as it would not play locally. I reinstalled the library and it worked.

I do not use the library part of JRiver. As I only listen to longer classical works which I have cataloged and backed up in several external hard drives I simply drag & drop the piece that I want to hear into JRiver. The music listings in the drives are similar to the listings in the old Schwann LP catalog.

As to the problem stated above I believe that it is an issue between the Bridge and the Windows 7 computer that I play music from. I cannot get the two to recognize each other. The Bridge says that it is connected and the lights on both ends of the ethernet cables are flashing but it does not show up on JRiver either with an ethernet cable or wireless connection. I am able to establish a wireless connection and play music from another computer using JRiver & Windows 8. I have tried JRiver 18 without success. All other inputs to the DAC are working as they should.

Later on today I will go back to the grindstone. I have a couple of ideas that I will try.

I am happy to report that all is back to normal in my system. I think that the problem was that software was messed up in the computer. All I can tell you is that I uninstalled and deleted and then redownloaded and installed JRiver 19-100. After a few trys the Bridge bit and has been connected and playing ever since. At first it connected via wireless. Then I tried the direct crossover cat 7 ethernet and that worked too.

Thanks to all for your help. In my system and to my ears the Bridge beats the Bryston BDP 1 as good as it is. Please Paul, hurry with Wavestream.

Excellent to hear that all is back to normal. Windoze and software problems can suck big time!

J.P.

haxter1 said: I am happy to report that all is back to normal in my system.

Yes! :D
haxter1 said: In my system and to my ears the Bridge beats the Bryston BDP 1 as good as it is

You answered my question before I could ask it.
Thanks. ;)

Good to hear you are back on line with music and PWD cooperating again. I sometimes feel we are ‘playing’ with software and PCs for more hours than we actually get to listen to the music! How wrong is that?

The Bridge is indeed finicky, but to be sure, it is the best sounding input on the PWD and therefore probably worth the effort. I’ve tried to like all other less-complicated inputs including USB and digital connect (in NativeX), but they just don’t have that same magic/mojo going for them. Hard to define ‘it’ exactly but I know when it disappears with other bit streams.

Second the notion of a quicker Wavestream arrival…we really need it to make a complete marriage of PWD and bridge.

PS - Just curious, on your Win 7 computer that did not appear to want to recognize the bridge, did your PWD icon/name show up under ‘Control panel’, 'Network" and ‘View network computers and devices’ ? Mine shows up as “PerfectWave DAC0-(followed by five numeric digits)” when detected.

I never checked to see if the Bridge was recognized that way. I just checked and it is not now listed as such. The PerfctWave DACO & digits appear in the left column of JRiver when there is a connection.