Random Happy Horseshit

Anybody get out to see the Geminids? Now that I live in a relatively un-light-polluted area, I was able to sit out on the deck and watch the show for a bit last night. Compared to the Chicago suburbs, it was like sitting in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon while making the jump to lightspeed : )

Did you brew coffee for Chewbacca? :wink:

Right on cue, here in Michigan the clouds moved in just as the show was about to start. No surprise there …

Yeah. Can’t tell you how many times that happened both there and in IL (but you know). It was actually cloudy before midnight, but I got up at 3am or so and it was clear.

Missed this thread. I love the make shift roaster. Have the same coffee make with a Brevill burr grinder. How does your fresh roasted coffee taste compared to the stuff we can all buy?

Fresh roasted beans make a coffee which tastes richer and more complex than old ones bought from a store. Since roasting is a hassle, and I am an extremely idle guy, I wouldn’t do it unless it brought very definite benefits. YMMV

Cudfoo - calling my roaster “makeshift” is like insulting my stereo! Sure, it may look un-glamorous and cobbled together, but you have to Experience the Output of it! ; )

Chris - benefits are relative, as we all know. I think if you scroll up there’s a story about having a potato fresh out of the ground “back in the day” before that sort of thing was available in local markets.

No offense only admiration. I think it’s a great idea and would love to have fresh beans available. Just one question… have you tried it with a preamp?

I Only Ever Roast with a Preamp, but am Completely open to the Notion that certain Varietals are Better Without : )

Wow, so much has transpired in this thread and I am regretful I have not kept up. @Badbeef, I respect and appreciate your desire to take on the hobby of coffee roasting. The benefits, other than being fun (if you are one that can take joy in geeking out over “process” related hobbies), is a better tasting cup! Freshness matters. I was a home roaster for 10 years before deciding the timing and opportunity was right to jump into the commercial market. I created and have been operating a “Third Wave” coffee roasting/retail coffee house enterprise for the last eight years after spending 20 years in a non-culinary sector of business. Sweet Maria’s was my main source of green beans when I started. Now I travel about a dozen times a year to East Africa, South America and Central America sourcing all of our coffee, direct from the farmers. I’m even doing some really fun fermentation experiments with a couple farms to help improve quality. It is a magical industry. Business ownership is challenging and stressful. But I have such a love and passion for this industry that it more than offsets all of those “cons.”

Have you roasted any Gesha?

The Behmor brewers leave Bonavita and Technivorms in the dust. I have owned and sold both of those brands, but the engineering and brewing principles incorporated into the Behmor make it superior to any home batch coffee brewer on the market today - and it is cheaper than the Technivorm!

That being said, the build quality of the Technivorm is second to none. I am pretty sure they will last forever. I can’t say that for any other home coffee machine.

The Technivorm is indeed beautifully, wonderfully handmade. I enjoy its lovely appearance as well. And the delightful motion of the water and soft gurgles as it brews. Its thermos keeps coffee wonderfully hot for hours. It is additionally incredibly simple and easy to use, and clean.

The Behmors are indeed excellent, pricey but less expensive. Their top machine is a tweakers delight. Their roaster is everywhere. I have not tried roasting. Is their roaster good?

Agreed. The Technivorm is in a class of its own in the very aspects you describe. I still own one and always will. But when it comes to brewing science, it takes a back seat to the Behmor, and to some degree the Bonavita.

The Behmor roaster is a great machine, especially considering the price. Quality home roasting machines are pricey and most are limited in the batch size. The Behmor can handle a full pound of green, which is not commonplace. With the exception of a couple, I have owned every home coffee roasting machine that has been made in the last decade. For the price point of the Behmor, it can’t be beat. Are there better machines? Yes! But not less than $1200.

If you have a discerning palate and a LOVE for coffee, then home roasting has an definite ROI. Like anything new, it can be challenging in the beginning. But for anyone here who has an audio system that they have spent great energy to design and tune, roasting coffee will be a very similar course. If you can make observations, based on subjective and objective feedback, then make alterations to affect the outcome, it will be a breeze. I HIGHLY recommend it. But I warn, it is addicting!

Great information, thank you! I wish you were around when I was shopping for the brewer.

I find the Technivorm capable of making truly excellent coffee if fed good beans. If given lesser beans, the coffee is fine, but so-so.

Is the Behmor capable of doing more with a lesser source (sort of like Redbook v. SACD)?

Is it more consistent given the same beans? I have not noticed consistency to be an issue with the Technivorm but sometimes one does notice a weakness until you experience something better.

The Behmor is also visually appealing in a space ship sort of way.

You are very welcome and I am happy to pass on any information that makes the enjoyment of coffee, better!

As stated, I like the Technivorm for very specific reasons. The two things I have identified as distinct shortcomings are the water pattern (distribution) and water interval (timing). What tends to happen with the Technivorm, unless you babysit it by rotating the filter basket, is a heavy concentration of water to the center of the grounds bed. This creates a cavity and essentially uneven extraction. You will have some heavily over extracted coffee particles and conversely, some under extracted. Secondly, its strength is also its weakness. What is awesome about the Technivorm is its simplicity. In other words, you get water that is properly “hot,” which is where 95% of the brewers on the market fail. As the water boils, it rises in the center tube and eventually works its way out through the horizontal channel and onto the coffee grounds. There are no PIDs, valves, solenoids, or electronics to allow or hinder this flow. Most importantly, the water is sufficiently hot! That addresses the vast majority of brewing failures. So, this simplicity is a blessing, and a curse. Let me explain…

Coffee is an agricultural product. It is a drupe. Depending on the region in which it was grown, the varietal, the micro climate, and the processing method, will have an affect on the density, moisture content, and other characteristics resulting in a unique “DNA.” That being said, that specific lot will behave uniquely in the roasting machine and uniquely in the brewing apparatus. Being able to control the flow of water is the second most important variable after water temperature. Lighter roasted coffee is far more dense than darker roasted coffee. You need longer brew times, finer grind, and hotter water to get the same level of extraction compared to a coffee that is darker roasted. When you have water coming into the filter basket too quickly, as is the case with the Technivorm, the water mass become larger (heavier) and therefore passes through the grounds quicker, due to gravity. Also, when you dispense the water from the boiler, it will then only loose temperature. So, instead of the water staying nice and hot in the boiler, it gets dispensed quickly into the basket where it loses temperature to the environment. As the water cools, it become a less effective solvent and its ability to extract is diminished. I like water that stays in the boiler until it is needed. This is a feature the Behmor offers, that the Technivorm does not.

The other significant variable is water temperature. Lighter roasted coffee needs hotter temps and darker roasted coffee needs cooler temps. With the Technivorm, there is no control. With the Behmor, you can set a specific degree, such as 201 or 203. The Technivorm is consistent. So, as long as the coffee and grind setting doesn’t change too much, you will not notice much variation.

Hope this helps…

Yep - just the recent Maria’s. Interesting stuff : )

PM me your address and Ill send you over some green Gesha exclusive to my company as we buy the entire crop production every year from this small holder farmer in Boquete, Panama. I think you will find it quite tasty!

Fascinating stuff! Thank you very much. I like learning.

While I await delivery of Jeff’s Gesha (wipes drool off chin), I have to do something with my over-caffienation. So - yup, I’m one of THOSE guys this time of year : ) Some shots from setting up the Dickens Village in a fraction of the usual space. In this case, a chunk of the kitchen countertop. The kids’ll dig it : )

If anyone else is into it, I’ll post more later with the streetlights, tree lights and house lights on. That’s where it can get really cool-looking. It’s all about the lighting, and focusing on certain angles. I’ve known some guys who do stop-motion animation, (think everything from bits of The Lord of the Rings to Wallace and Gromit) and when I do this, I get why they enjoy it.

Were you fishing for “Please, sir, I want some more”? :slight_smile: