Recommended XLR connections

Not sure what your components are, but I’d suggest auditioning the full line of Iconoclast Speaker cables when time and budget permits.

1 Like

Bhk pre
Dsd dac
P3
Mk1200

Using audioquest rocket 44 (i think) for speaker cables
Definitely gonna take your advice after i pay off these XLRS

In my opinion, if you can only hear “a smidge” difference ICONOCLAST GEN 2 over your Audioquest Mackenzie, I would send them back. Better cables are only a worthwhile upgrade if you can easily hear the improvement.

1 Like

I suspect the AQ Rocket 88 is limiting the experience of the Iconoclasts. The Rocket 88, (why do I have images of an Oldsmobile when I see Rocket 88 ?) Is a fine starter AQ speaker cable, but the Iconoclast speaker cable should open the window wide open for him. Then it becomes a matter of personal preference.

2 Likes

understand your viewpoint but Im a guy that sorta believes that cables cant make a difference so for me even thinking I do is significant

3 Likes

I would leave them in as long as you can within the return period. They need time to break in. Depending on your mood, I would leave music running through them 24x7 to speed up the process.

I agree with @weedeewop, if your speaker cables are a point of congestion, the other cable changes won’t be realized. Perhaps you can get a pair of loaner Iconoclast speaker cables. No harm in trying.

1 Like

Good suggestion, and if the Iconoclasts are not loaners, e.g. cables with significant time on them, I’d let the burn in with continuous play for a week, say 300+ hours. They should open up at 100 and will be all over the place during the break-in. Unfortunately that means there will be days when the sound may not be to your liking.

New cables are a test of commitment. Dealing with lesser performance temporarily while hoping for better performance is a recommitment to this hobby every time. Renewing your vows so to speak.

1 Like

Are you running the XLRs on both the Dac to pre and preamp to amps?

Yes i am

@gd7288 i was the same, cables had to prove themselves, but there is a synergy of cohesion that should become audible when all cables are of the same manufacturer including speaker cables, and all fully burned in. Good luck

1 Like

I’d have to agree. If you prefer Audioquest you have to move up the ladder to get the most out of the Iconoclast IC’s. A minimum AQ Robin Hood speaker cable or the Iconoclast speaker cables. All cables matter. Especially power cables.

4 Likes

Hi,

if I understand well you had 2 upgrades at the same time:
from RCA to XLR (and this is enough to improve sound, brands a part)
and
from AQ to Iconoclast UPOCC

We have the same components, in my experience I heard a huge difference, when I recently added these cables. I’m reporting my impressions on another thread here in this forum and during last days I’m focusing on synergies between 2 IC (for analog) and IC + AQ Dragon (for digital), two combos I found working better than others.

I hope soon to share my thoughts on this particular aspect.

2 Likes

Thank you all
Have pair of iconoclast speaker cables on the way to replace my current AQ Rocket 44’s
Preciate all your help
This is such a great community

5 Likes

That will be a happy when you add the Iconoclast speaker cables to your system along with the IC’s.
Give them a week or so before making any decisions but you should be able to hear the difference immediately.
I dont consider myself an audiophile per se but an enthusiast for sure and I could tell the difference immediately when the Iconoclast speaker cables went into my first system a few years ago. Same with the IC’s. Everything is cleaner / clearer / more detailed / blacker, etc.

1 Like

for my pennies worth being in the uk i went with zensati zorro xlr cables between my perfectwave dac & bhk pre & bhk 250. tried well regarded tellurium q cables right up to the diamond series but as soon as i tried the zensati zorros i knew they were the one, music was much more defined clearer, on bass guitar it actually sounded like a stringed instrutment not just the usual boom. zorros are the entry level so can only imagine what the more expensive ones are like, their not cheap though £ 1000 + a pair not sure what your budget is but if you could find a stockists i can highly recommend
good luck with whatever you choose & enjoy the bhk its fabulous i was so impressed i sold my naim 500 series system & have no regrets

2 Likes

Thx Baldy
I remember when i got my AQ rocket 44’s i heard a difference so anticipating it will be the same for the Iconoclast
Very excited to try them out
While i have you thanks again for the Wireworld cable you sold me a bit ago

3 Likes

Glad you are getting some use out of it and enjoy it.
This is surely a great hobby.

It sure is but there never seems to be an end to it…i keep learning stuff and then buying stuff

1 Like

…and your point is?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: