Red Cloud upgrade

Same here brodricj. My occasional troubles have been trivial by comparison. Don’t give up on PSA support. If they can figure out what your problem is it might help others.

Huron

Main : 01.21

FPGA: 00.123

USB: 00.33

Boot: 01.13

Interestingly, I did a Bridge update last night and that seemed to run OK, and this morning I find BridgeII as a device on my Spotify GUI (the Bridge was detected even though the DSJ was in standby mode i.e. rear power switch on and PS logo LED off). So that is pretty cool, I don’t need to connect a MacBook to DSJ any more to play Spotify. If selecting BridgeII as the music renderer in the Spotify control point could run a wake on LAN command and take DSJ out of standby mode would also be pretty cool. And you beat Esoteric to natively supporting Spotify in the DAC, great job!!

And the volume level is also sensible…Spotify control point cranked up to maximum volume, DSJ on 99, preamp on -22dB and the resulting volume is just right for casual listening. I like it when a plan comes together like that!

Excellent

Brodricj are your DACs part of the beta-testing program? It seems to me that most other people would have requested replacement units by now.

If not you truly are a patient person. GL.

frank7036 said

If not you truly are a patient person. GL.

My love of Paul and his crew and what they do lends itself to ample patience.

embarassed105_gif We have all sorts of warts and problems. But we’re here for you all and care. A lot. Thanks for the kind words.

Mr. McGowan,

You are the Best! Happy Holiday’s! I have been a fan of yours for a long time. I once had the amazing original Digital Lens - $1800 and worth every penny. I am now a proud owner of the DirectStream Jr.

Robert

103_gif77_gif The Digital Lens was a way cool product. Thanks for letting us know!!

For those who didn’t dig Huron but couldn’t quite put their finger on it, I have a theory: noise.

http://taww.co/post/168721111982/ps-audio-directstream-junior-redcloud

Thankfully, the issue is fixed in Redcloud, which I concur sounds excellent.

Happy Holidays,

Marc

Fun to read review.

Thanks!

Hi friends!

We selected the DirectStream with Redcloud update for a best of award at Part-Time Audiophile. It had the most votes among our writers for best digital and several of our reviewers own it. But there is other good gear too you may be interested in.

Here is a link:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/12/25/the-part-time-audiophile-guide-to-the-best-hi-fi-gear-of-2017/

Wow, I read you also reviewed a 34k Lampizator DAC…

While I’d really be interested in which direction such a DAC sounds in comparison, for me personally the DS DAC/Bridge combo is nominated for Best Buy award since it appeared.

And what your mag answered to this question is about what I‘d guess:

50AF6F3C-BE2A-4E9A-9B2B-B95447EF48D4.jpeg

Lee Scoggins said

…But there is other good gear too you may be interested in.

Here is a link:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/12/25/the-part-time-audiophile-guide-to-the-best-hi-fi-gear-of-2017/

And nothing Magico in the best speakers list. Unbelievable.

Why unbelievable? Not every reviewer and publication has fallen under their spell. Myles and JV do enough “gushing” as is.

dawkinsj said

Why unbelievable?

Because I own both Wilson and Magico. For Wilson to beat Magico to a "best of" award is contrary to my considerable experience with both.

Have they reviewed several Magico speakers? It could be they don’t have the experience to add it to the list.

brodricj said

I took the plunge and tried the DSJ Redcloud update via PS Audio supplied USB stick.

Didn’t work.

Tried again.

Didn’t work.

I’m still on Huron.

To leap off from where I left off here.

My Esoteric iOS GUI reported “a software update is available, do you want to upgrade?” I said yes. The update downloaded off the Esoteric update server, I powered the Esoteric network player off>on to finish the process and now I have native Spotify support on my Esoteric N-01. It was so easy. It was quick. It was free. And it worked. And needless to say it sounds great.

If only the DSJ update process was as simple, quick and reliable. I hate to sound critical but my end-user experience with upgrading DSJ is frustratingly poor.

Brodricj brings up a valid point. I hate to be critical of PS Audio because I think they are so awesome. Their products are awesome. Their customer service and communication with end users on this forum are awesome. But I think constructive criticism is warranted.

One of the failings I have noticed with the PWT and the DSDAC has been in the area of the user interface. Lots of little quirks in that regard. But this one is a biggie. For being a modern internet-connected device, the firmware update process is ridiculously kludgy. It should be as simple as Brodricj described with his esoteric. Updating my Oppo DVD players or my Marantz Surround processor is painlessly simple and just works, every time. No hassles. PS Audio really needs to step up their game in this area. If they want us to buy into the idea that they can program a user friendly interface for something as complex as a music streamer (Octave), they need to sort this out because they really aren’t inspiring confidence with their current update procedures for these players and DACs.

Brodricj , your experience has been dreadful.

Mine has been just as easy as updating your Esoteric. I do not mind the few minutes it takes to download an update and manually installing it. In fact, I prefer it as it allows me total control over the process, including the ability to restore a previous version if I would like.

Yet, sadly, for you it has been an understandably frustrating process. I wish I could think of something which would make your experience as easy as mine.

For those having software update issues, what size SD card are you using and have you tried a different SD card? Not the most computer savvy though I’ve not had any issues with my 2GB Sony SD cards. Have both primary and backup cards.