Redcloud for DS is live

Updates went smooth. Powered off my Melco & Directstream, switched the ethernet cable instead of the Melco straight in the Directstream for most reliable internet connection updating Bridge II. Installed Redcloud, recycled power, installed Bridge update, recycled power again, restored ethernet connection via the Melco and ready to go!!

DA0C18B4-9AB9-4117-B8A3-CD71A90ECB98.png

• 2 !!! (streaming Qobuz in MconnecControlHD)

Just to be clear, the file 'Redcloud Directstream DAC', is specifically only for the Directory SR and not the Jr. There will be a separate file for the Jr..... Correct?

Yes.

Just ordered my SD card with DS Sr. update firmware (Thanks Paul & Co.)ā€¦looking forward to itā€¦

Keep those reviews coming everyone!

Been Redcloudā€™ing for the last 3 hours. Wow! I loved Huron, but I can say with certainty, that I hear a difference in my reference tracks under Redcloud - and those difference I like a lot!

I felt the soundstaging in Huron was superb. I donā€™t notice it wider now, but I do sense it deeper, front to back. But the presence in general, of the instrumentation, is astounding. More dynamic, more realistic.

And not that Huron was fatiguing by any means, but there is something really pleasant about Redcloudā€™s sound characteristic that is the antithesis of fatigue.

Ok, cover meā€¦ Iā€™m going back in!

red cloud a definite improvement!!! But I canā€™t find mqa music in the roon library to play through roon. any help would be appreciated

Very nice. I just played a beautifully recorded piano and small ensemble album on Huron (Masako - Call of the Mountains, recorded at Will Ackermanā€™s Imaginary Road Studios). Played it again on RedCloud and thereā€™s a large increase in bass resolution. At first it sounded like the piano was ā€œharderā€ but I think itā€™s just a reminder that itā€™s a percussion instrument, and Iā€™m hearing more of the note, including the strike. Very nice upgrade. Thanks!

Right purdy!

First impression is that it is smoother and flatter - both good things. Also when in the other room, it sounds more coherent, which is also a good thing (and a positive when testing mixes).

Successfully downloaded Red Cloud seems to be working just fine , first impression a bit thin, more clarity on a test Run with a CD/OPPO 203

With Tidal streaming seems to have slightly more Bass than Huron and seems to be able to dig out stuff that have not heard before on the same recording , So far I like it.

So far I love Red Cloud. Better bass slam and definition. More holographic imaging. Just better all around. One thing, though. Has anyone noticed itā€™s a little quieter than Huron?

amgradmd - 0.37 dB methinks ; )

amgradmd said

So far I love Red Cloud. Better bass slam and definition. More holographic imaging. Just better all around. One thing, though. Has anyone noticed itā€™s a little quieter than Huron?

Do you mean quieter in its background? Or quieter in overall volume?

1. okay so i played a very fine recording in redbook of On Every Street by Dire Straits. it is a great album. played a couple of cuts and then uploaded RC. the best way to describe what i heard was to say that the magic elves must have taken that cd and turned it into a SACD. the improvement was amazing. truly i was shocked at how much better it was after RC.

2. i am reminded of a great story about Jascha Heifetz: ā€œAmong other noted violinists in attendance was Fritz Kreisler. After the 12-year-old Heifetz performed the Mendelssohn violin concerto, Abell reported that Kreisler said to all present, ā€˜We may as well break our fiddles across our knees.ā€™ā€[10]

i tell this story as i would think that other designers in the digital audio world might feel the same way about Ted Smith as Kreisler did about Heifetz.

1. I can only imagine what kind of high dollar analog front end it would take to equal this sound. i for one, am never going back to vinyl and i truly can thank Ted Smith and Paul M for this (anyone interested in a used Oracle Delphi). so thank you guys. thank you. what you do is wonderful and amazing and truly appreciated. Kent Tager

On my system I think Iā€™m kicking the volume up a notch. Less bright always has me turning the volume knob to the right. So far, Iā€™m doing that with Redcloud. Havenā€™t listened to anything recorded after 1950 yet.

This is a holographic soundstageing machine ā€¦ so realistic ā€¦ unbelievable!

Just digging string quartets, before that an old warhorse, Holly Cole Temptation the song little girl blue, at the end the sax section back leftā€¦they now again stand apart several inches more with more aura.

This nearly sounds like a next generation DAC. This imaging will be hard to beat by anything.

clothes pen said

ā€¦

1. I can only imagine what kind of high dollar analog front end it would take to equal this sound. i for one, am never going back to vinyl and i truly can thank Ted Smith and Paul M for this (anyone interested in a used Oracle Delphi). so thank you guys. thank you. what you do is wonderful and amazing and truly appreciated. Kent Tager

Regarding DS/Redcƶouds strengths 20-30k Iā€™d say.

hey Jazznut, that sounds about right to me. i cannot imagine an analog front end at 12K even being in the ballpark. but even if they were equally good sonically, records are such a pain especially for a classical music lover like me.

Have been listening to Redcloud since its released in the morning. It just smokes the previous firmware Huron. Didnā€™t realize that this DAC has potential of this level of improvements - every release has been a step forward in SQ. Huron sounds anemic compared to Redcloud.

Way to go PSA!!!

Jeff of Arabica said

Do you mean quieter in its background? Or quieter in overall volume?

Both, actually, but I meant quieter in overall SPL. To my ears, Iā€™d guess about 5 dB or so. (Beef - I can only wish to be able to tell a difference of -.37 dB!) And before anyone asks, yes, I did reset the volume back to ā€˜100ā€™ because it was set to ā€˜50ā€™ on boot up.

Dev said

Have been listening to Redcloud since its released in the morning. It just smokes the previous firmware Huron. Didnā€™t realize that this DAC has potential of this level of improvements - every release has been a step forward in SQ. Huron sounds anemic compared to Redcloud.

Way to go PSA!!!

Boy, you nailed it! Anemic compared to Redcloud - and Redcloudā€™s alive and lush at the same time.