Ripping Audio from DVD-A

I’m a big fan of both prog rock and hi res audio. Unfortunately, the intersection between the two isn’t as large as I’d like it to be. To supplement the prog available as hi res downloads, I started ripping audio from blu ray discs using an external LG blu ray drive, MakeMKV (to defeat the copy protection), and DVD Audio Extractor. Works flawlessly on both blu ray video (concerts) and blu ray audio discs.

I recently picked up the DVD-A of King Crimson Lizard. I immediately found that DVD Audio Extractor has trouble reading the disc. Sometimes in finds nothing on the disc. Other times, it finds the 5.1 content, which it offers to mix down to stereo, but does not find the stereo content.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can extract the stereo content from a DVD-A? There are several other King Crimson albums I would like to pick up if I can get this to work.

PS: I’m storing the ripped files on a laptop running Audirvana Origin that is connected to my Marantz SACD 30n via usb cable. So playing the discs directly isn’t an option.

Exact Audio Copy should be able to do that. As long as you have a DVD drive in your computer.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a try. I’ve used that program to rip audio from CDs. I didn’t know it works on DVD-As.

1 Like

The bad new: Exact Audio Copy could not read the disc.

The good news: I found out how to manipulate DVD Audio Extractor to find the missing content. I needed to select read from folder, choose the DVD drive as the folder, and then select the “Video” folder. The default is to only scan the “Audio” folder, which apparently contains the 5.1 files. The terminology makes no sense, of course. But it worked.

2 Likes

I have used the same software in the past to rip my DVD-A discs. I ripped all six of them with no problem. I haven’t bought any more of them so it has been awhile.

I didn’t know it worked for Blu-ray discs. Learning that excites me! I have some awesome Blu-ray discs. Abbey Road 2019 mix! Hooray!