Rocky Mountain High

:slight_smile:

Oddly, perhaps, I am just not willing to try it however.

Take a look at the instagram photos… there’s a PWD sitting on the ground in one of them, with internals that sure don’t look normal…

@menace I completely agree… If we all read between the lines, Paul’s posts have been highly focused on clock recovery, jitter reduction, DSD vs PCM, Delta Sigma conversion, native Delta Sigma chips that do not internally convert to PCM, and the notion of “syncing” a power supply (presumably switching) to the TCXOs to avoid jitter ghosting. Even a conversation about the advantages of true fiber optics (vs. the crappy toslink). I’m pretty certain that Meitner has been using tuned switching supplies for some time for that very same reason. Other manufactures have figured out how to optically isolate the USB interface from the sensitive analog and DAC components…

Interesting times ahead, that’s for sure. I just hope that the I2S interface is retained on whatever this new device is. Who knows, perhaps PS has figured out how to make interface type truly irrelevant.

Will, I can’t think of a better vacation than one that involves skiing the slopes in beautiful Colorado, with a day set aside to meet Paul and experience the PSA system. Let me rephrase that; I can’t think of a better vacation, that won’t result in my wife divorcing me, than one spent on the slopes in beautiful Colorado, with a day set aside to meet Paul, drink his favorite micro brew, and listen to his system… :wink:

hmmm… what all has Paul been talking about and working on the past few months… a high-efficiency output stage amp - that he couldn’t get to meet his expectations…but did create an input stage for it that satisfied him, jitter reduction… he was wowed by a tube preamp. I predict a one-box solution… integrated amp w/built-in DAC and tube preamp section…!!! what do you say - any takers?

But you can’t buy a part of it

I put my bet on a discreet DSD DAC…

@mgn, +1 vote for me… discreet DSD dac (or at least a native DSD dac) It will have an excellent re-clocker - I bet they throw away the clock on incoming and throw in a brand new clock without any jitter… lets not forget about a top notch power supply will be top notch, and so will the output stage. All things PS Audio already does very well.

What ever it is and how much it cost,s. Ps audio is a really fair deal when considering the the comparitible products out there. I think they produce products that work better than they look and they look really good.

And the forums here are fantastic

Al

+1, +1 and +1.

Can it be a digital preamp with digital lens and modules for any input/output? Actually,a good idea :wink: Something like Meridian 8000(?) series - a chassis with slide-in modules. Just add what you need.

@alekz

Oooh, I love that idea!

A DAC can also be in a slide-in board. Separate power supplies is not a problem - PCM’s (power cooling modules) are used in network/server equipment for ages. Boards can be inserted form both front and rear. Some boards (e.g. memory buffers aka lenses) do not need any external connectors, some boards (e.g. Bridge) need only one connector or two.

For the sake of design the chassis can be made H- or T- shaped: The front panel (the top of the “T”), and the boards are inserted from left and right.

The biggest concern here is EMI. The solution is to make every critical board encased in aluminium box/shield (also known in the computer industry) and to use separate power supplies. So, the technology is basically there.

You have some intriguing ideas. Have you ever worked with a manufacturer to try some of the, at least on paper?

Something might click.

I worked (and work) with many different technologies, so what I wrote is pretty much obvious to me :wink: I do not think that PSA is upto this design. It needs cooperation with computer hardware manufacturers and software developers.

Actually, even D-class digital power amps can be in the same chassis - just 4 modules: left-module, right-module and two dedicated power supplies. That should greatly reduce the jitter - local cache (effectively it will be a memory player), no digital cables, short back-plane with a high-speed 64-bit data-bus (e.g. for 2x 32-bit channels), DSP in software (if needed).

BTW, has anybody heard any good digital amps? My first thought is Meridian and their active speakers.

@alekz Is there a way to make a stinky nose cartoon? ^#(^ Probably not. I have heard these Meridian loudspeakers with their built in digital amplifiers, their DSP systems quite a lot at shows and dealers and never once thought anything other than “ugh” they are bright and flat sounding.

Is that just me?

Paul McGowan said: they are bright and flat sounding.

It is entirely possible, I've never heard (only seen) them (though I like the "Meridian-sound" of the DAC's/players and still own one). On the other hand, the same was told about switching power supplies, then D-class amplifiers. I think it's a matter of a proper design.

I wonder if it could be a High End Digital Lens product which incorporates PRAT to the Max.

There has been talk about Jitter in the past and was referenced at that time that there was going to be something in the works in the future .

Can anyone point me to the post about the new amp now needing a new output stage? I am desperately in need of a high quality balanced amp. Any projections of when it might be released?

Oh, and I know what the new product is. It’s sorely missing in the marketplace. It’s an audiophile bit coin miner. None of the miners on the current market sound very good.

Seriously though, it would be cool if it were digital lens type product that also could do room correction.

Also I have a serious request. Whenever a new DAC is developed, please have an option to lower the output level to a normal range of 2 or 3 volts. 5.6 for balanced is just too high, and now that people realize inserting a superb preamp into the system can yield benefits, I would like to see something more compatible. Maybe make 2 different output modules that could be ordered or even exchanged in the field. One optimized for direct connection to the PWA, and another for use with other equipment. This way there would no compromise, no matter how the unit will be used.

My thought was a ss preamp with digital EQ and XO, maybe with a DAC built in. Paul has recently rejuvenated his interest in preamps, comment on digital EQ in headphones, and had troubles with tuning listening room 1. A DSD DAC, even from PSAudio, would need to be half the price of a p10 to compete.

My other thought would be a brand new integrated source component, with a PWT, DAC and HDD in 1 box.

Speculation and anticipation is mounting!