Roon Module code will be availible on Thursday

Yes. I am talking about single dsd here

ridom said Yes. I am talking about single dsd here
Single rate DSD is 176k not 352k. The bridge II cannot do 352k.

Dennis

Sourav Mazumder said
magicknow said adminpaul

Paul you had mentioned the possibility of a 60 day trail offer for Roon.

Is that still going to happen?

I am also interested about 60 days trial.

Regards,

Sourav

Indeed we’ll have some sort of 60 day trial offer available when it all launches officially. You guys were excited to jump in before the official launch and we made it available - but the official launch should happen after DirectStream Junior’s release of Torreys and we’re good to go.

My file is single dsd; it’s built from a SACD and Roon recognizes it as a 64DSD. I do not know why the signal path says 352k. Here is the screenshotScreenshot-8.png

ridom said My file is single dsd; it's built from a SACD and Roon recognizes it as a 64DSD. I do not know why the signal path says 352k. Here is the screenshot
I don't know why Roon thinks it is 352k either,but it is downsampling it to 176k because the bridgeII does not support 352k and Roon knows that

Dennis

Got your point. But the main issue for me is to know why Roon is converting DSD to PCM without been asked for, when the DS is perfectly capable of playing DSD64

ridom said Got your point. But the main issue for me is to know why Roon is converting DSD to PCM without been asked for, when the DS is perfectly capable of playing DSD64
That is a good question. I play DSD64 on my DS at work and they always show DSD. I had trouble playing via USB, as it took some tweaking to make them play as DSD, but via the bridgeII it just worked.

Dennis

Are you using Roon as well?

There’s likely to be a lot of Roon setup questions - many of which will have to be answered by the guys at Roon - as they may be specific to the music manager. We’ll do our best to come up to speed with Roon, and help from experienced Roon users here would be appreciated too.

ridom said Got your point. But the main issue for me is to know why Roon is converting DSD to PCM without been asked for, when the DS is perfectly capable of playing DSD64
Turn the volume leveling off and your DSD files will play fine. I suspect in order to volume level, Roon must convert the DSD bitstream into PCM in order to manipulate the volume.
ksalno said

Turn the volume leveling off and your DSD files will play fine. I suspect in order to volume level, Roon must convert the DSD bitstream into PCM in order to manipulate the volume.

Yes that works.

Key problem with Roon is that the settings are not at all intuitive.

Regards,

Sourav

I have been waiting to start a trial Room account. As soon as the BridgeII update landed, I pressed the button.

Stepping through my library, reading biographies and linking music is very enjoyable. However, listening on my main system and the Squeezebox one in the garage I have had a sense of loss. The spatiality, airiness and ease the music gained from the various firmwares has diminished. Detail and musicality have been lost. I won’t go on, and I have a good few days left of my trial, but the ease of use and info is not worth the loss of quality I have spent so much time and money to gain. Systems and perceptions obviously vary greatly and this is only my opinion.

Perhaps it is just Room settings, time will tell, but I have turned off audio analysis.

Whs server running Minim server networked to Directstream via Bridge II, into Ars Sonum Filarmonia into Merlin VSM, via Cardas and Audience loom.

I ave read many reports elsewhere that the sound of Roon is not up there with the best. Many indicate they listen to Roon when exploring and rummaging around, but use their favorite player when listening seriously.

ksalno said

Thanks, it worked! . First I tried with “hide volume of Roon” and nothing happened. I needed to turn off volume leveling to get dsd back. Regarding sound quality, before having the bridge available I used to play Roon together with HQ Player via usb and the sound was great. I have now to do the comparison: roon + hqplayer on usb vs. roon+bridge on ethernet.

ridom said
Thanks, it worked! . First I tried with "hide volume of Roon" and nothing happened. I needed to turn off volume leveling to get dsd back. Regarding sound quality, before having the bridge available I used to play Roon together with HQ Player via usb and the sound was great. I have now to do the comparison: roon + hqplayer on usb vs. roon+bridge on ethernet.
Glad that worked. I'll be interested is your comparison. I haven't tried HQPlayer with the PSA DSD because my experience in using HQPlayer with the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler is that it made no difference or sounded worse depending on filter selection. My theory is that a DAC like the DSD that is already doing internal upsampling will not benefit from external upsampling, so I am interested to see what your experience is. Also, my experience with the PSA DSD inputs in my system is that BII sounds the best, followed by AES and then USB, but that could be dependent on the Aries that I have been feeding the DSD with. I have a microRendu but am using it elsewhere in the house and haven't gotten around to running a direct comparison with the Aries.

From the posts so far, it’s unclear if the new Bridge II software works perfectly with JRiver/JRemote. Anyone throughly test yet and can report?

I spent too much time trouble shooting JRiver after installing Bridge II, don’t want to do that again. It has worked perfectly since. Might try Roon, but am a very happy with my collection and JRiver. Thanks!

One more setting related issue with Roon.

If you set the crossfade delay for DS in Roon to more than 0s, Roon starts converting all songs to PCM with 24bit. So to ensure that your are getting unchanged byte streams to Bridge II without any conversion set this value to 0.

You can get the crossfade delay setting when you select the PS Audio DAC icon at right bottom of the song navigation panel while actually playing a song.

Regards,

Sourav

amsco15 said From the posts so far, it's unclear if the new Bridge II software works perfectly with JRiver/JRemote. Anyone throughly test yet and can report?

I spent too much time trouble shooting JRiver after installing Bridge II, don’t want to do that again. It has worked perfectly since. Might try Roon, but am a very happy with my collection and JRiver. Thanks!

I'm an extensive Jriver/Jremote user and after changing to the new Bridge II firmware I didn't experience any problem.

Furthermore: Updating to the latest Jriver version for QNAP removed all stability problems I had before. Runs trouble free now.

Updated Bridge II yesterday. I am using jRiver/jRemote. No issues to report. Not sold on Roon yet. My main concern is what sounds better.

In my setup with optical transceivers used to connect Bridge2 to LAN I had two issues that resulted in “N/A” for Available firmware on DS display:

1. bridge is probably checking for updates only after reboot, but it’s too soon yet (it takes a while to get LAN link UP with these transceivers), thus bridge is not trying to check for firmware (or it fails as link is not up yet). Similarly this behaves with changing network settings on DS display (manual vs DHCP) - my suggestion is to add another check for firmware availability after 3 or 10 minutes after boot-up / NW settings change, or have ability to have it user triggered.

2. Active FTP is used to fetch and download the update and my linux firewall did not had support for NAT of active FTP, so I had to fix this too (kernel modules + special entry into raw iptables). My suggestion here would be to use HTTP to communicate with update servers to avoid communication compatibility issues in NATed environments for e.g.

Now I’m streaming few tidal tracks, more testing tomorrow it’s time for sleep here now :slight_smile:

P.S. regarding the bridge2 DHCP I have noticed some time ago that it does TWO dhcp requests after reboot within short time. This is still valid. Not really an issue, just observation