Router, the enemy!

Agreed on router and modem. I was going to add LPS to those, but was directed by Alex from Uptone and a few others to not worry about it and go down the chain. I think that is good advice, but I really don’t know as I never tried it on the modem or router.

1 Like

Who woulda thought @aangen could be the Voice of Reason???

2 Likes

Not me!

1 Like

I’ve thrown a killer LPS on lots of digital stuff, feeding off of power plants. It’s overkill, but I don’t even have dedicated power lines. Haven’t done the router yet.

Are routers the enemy of any?

I am going to stir up the pot a bit. I use WiFi, but when I added an IFI IPower PS to the Orbi satellite that connecting to the network switch, I heard an obvious SQ improvement to streaming. It’s an inexpensive PS that made a difference already.

3 Likes

Luca,

Unless your streaming switch is directly wired to your router via ethernet, beefing up the PSU of the router is overkill imho.

But as I understood it, that’s how you roll, so just go for it and we can all learn something from your router tweaks. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you all for your help, especially Al and others not encouraging me to spend more money than needed (quite odd for this forum members).

Yes the switch is connected to the router, see my original post above.

I forgot to mention that:

• the router and the MacMini (the latter not connected to the system) are both plugged to a dedicated line by this power distributor

From your comments I’m assuming that the system is already well “protected” from signal noise by

• the ethernet cable (Pink Faun and eventually other to experiment with in future)
  • the LAN isolator (Pink Faun)
  • the Innuos PhoenixNET
  • the path: fiber internet network input to router
  • the router will soon sport a CAD USB Control dongle (FWIW)

From your posts (I appreciate a lot, thank you all) It turns out that, if really needed, the pollution I eventually need to take care caused by router and MacMini is mainly on the electrical side, in conclusion going down the chain towards the electrical noise they could inject to main circuit.

On this side worth to mention that:

• router and MacMini are both plugged to a Furutech power distributor able to clean the current and “isolating” them almost partially
  • this Furutech power distributor is plugged to a Furutech wall outlet FT-SWS NCF rhodium plated (as all the other wall sockets dedicated to the system)
  • the power cable used here is the AQ Dragon HC (I have as spare, not intentionally bought for this purpose of course)
  • this is a dedicated line, from the wall socket it runs to a dedicated panel and then from the panel it shares only the main ground rod with other 5 dedicated lines exclusively serving the system

Conclusion: my actual configuration might be more than adequate and could don’t bother about router and MacMini noise, the one and only upgrade would be to feed the router with some LPS, keeping in any case low expectations because it is overkill.

In this scenario, is really the router (or MacMini) an enemy at the end of the day? I’m going to hit the “solution” tag of the thread if you all agree.

2 Likes

I have lost track of what the mini is used for in your system.

1 Like

BTW - I think mini much like shrimp should never be capitalized. It defeats the purpose.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have dared close this thread without your advice, Vince. I was actually waiting for you.

The mACmINI is intended for:

• manage/create the network settings occasionally (other than router and streamer no other devices are present)
  • manage the streamer/server occasionally (normally the iPad would be enough for this purpose)
2 Likes

Since it’s not in your audio chain, and you have dealt with the power with dedicated lines, a great outlet and strip, I would call this part of your setup done.

2 Likes

Amen!

1 Like

To prolong the thread I am injecting my useless point.

I am getting a headache reading your streaming chain. I like my simplier WiFi setup, and the fact my PC and cables are more than double the cost of my streamer. I was only half kidding that one should spend more on cables.

In fact the streaming chain is sounding as good as PST (better in terms of musicality) may proof that I am on the right track.

Of course one day I will reach your level that EVERYTHING is at the top :joy:

1 Like

From my perspective the point of streaming versus vinyl especially is that it is supposed to be simpler and not include more parts and pieces than my vinyl rig does. Quality streamer with a good PC and output cable into a quality DAC should be it and if the streamer is WiFi capable then that’s for the better as it eliminates the ethernet noise gremlins.

Or you just need a quality DAC with a built in bridge that has galvanic isolation on the ethernet input. Then you don’t need a streamer.

Are you catching what I am laying down? :sunglasses:

1 Like

I do and if you think you’ve found that unicorn then that’s good. I know a lot of people that think the Lumin X-1 fits that description along with some of the Aurender upper level combo units.

1 Like

I guess I’m lucky in that in both houses I have a dedicated room and even though the “other half” enjoys listening she doesn’t care how much gear is in those rooms as they are out of sight to normal traffic.

Have you taken a look at the Mytek Empire? If you add up all the bits and pieces, I’m guess they cost at least what it costs.

Seems like an attempt to one up the Lumin P1 at double the price. Too many parts and pieces in one box and unless something has changed they have no software so you either use Roon or Mconnect. I have “self imposed” limits for gear and especially things like cables and fuses so that’s not in my comfort zone if I was interested in another ESS based unit.

1 Like

Going down the old mine with a transister radio…
(I know, blowing your mind) :smirk:

1 Like