Running out of outlets on my P5

Hello,

I am using a P5, but have run out of outlets. I am about to purchase power cables for my two REL T5 subs and run them to either the P5 or the only grounded outlets in the room next to the P5. It’ An old house and the subs are currently plugged into ungrounded outlets. My question is whether I should leave the wall worts powering my Musical Surroundings phono pre and dac in the P5 and plug the subs into the wall outlets, or vice versa? The phono preamp runs on batteries all the time unless I listen for 5 hours or more. I don’t know if the dac will be more sensitive to clean power the the subs. The power in our old house is not great. Usually comes in at over 7 percent distortion, and a vacuum cleaner dims the lights a bit. The P5 was an amazing improvement.

Steve

I would put my subs directly into the wall.

1 Like

I think you would notice a bigger improvement if the DAC has clean power over the subs, but it should be easy to try both ways and see what you like best.

I think you should put only your amp, dac and phono preamp connected to your p5. Leave your subs, computer and turntable motor etc connected to the wall or a good conditioner/surge protector - those items dont really need power regeneration imo.

Thanks for the thoughts. I’ll start with the subs plugged into the wall. Grounded cullen power cables instead of the cords the subs came with and the cheater adapters for old ungrounded sockets should be an improvement anyway.

Steve

1 Like