SALE ! PerfectWave SACD Transport

The next one down is the Firebird 48 that I owned. So far it is the best HDMI that I have ever heard. I will compare it to the Dragon soon and I really hope I don’t hear much difference. A nice Paul here recommended a guy that can give some break on the cables.

1 Like

The single Dragon cable elevates my computer sound system, which is modest, to the point that I can sit and enjoy it while my main system sits idle.

It is not system dependent. It is just amazing. I got mine for $1250 and they only wanted $1200 for it.

5 Likes

May I ask where were you able to purchase the dragon hdmi at that price?

2 Likes

Al bought them from a friend of mine who got them from my Audioquest sales guy. You won’t be able to buy them for $1250 or $1200 but he will save you huge over retail! I’ll PM his info if you’d like to order a dragon 48 you won’t find them priced lower anywhere!

Please e mail info to: lewiod@icloud.com

1 Like

Could you compare this dragon to ps audio ac-12 silver interconnect?

I have this PS Audio ac-12 and ac-10. Great for TV but not audio. Dragon is completely in another league. The sound I’m getting from this Dragon is mind boggling!!

You should probably qualify your opinions! You’d have everyone throwing perfectly good cables, that your ears, in your system sound good. Moreover, your tone would have have people who own your discards and like them, feeling disappointed and doubting their choices. I don’t doubt the Dragons sound great. However, the Revalation cable sounds good and so does the AC12 HDMI. Not everyone has your money and lives with absolutes that dictate tossing yesterday’s exemplary cables for today’s Primo cable de jour. Next week it’ll be another cable that gets your attention and the Dragons will go to a relative. Unlike you, I buy stuff that sounds good and I keep it. Eventually, I move on. Without getting into financial issues, I’m not Particularly constrained, but my philosophy doesn’t motivate me to chase daily flavours.

10 Likes

Au contraire.

Anyone basing their preferences and enjoyment of their own system(s) on what others hear in other systems and rave about on a Hi-Fi enthusiast’s forum would be displaying an incredible lack of discernment and maturity, in my opinion.

“Its”* all relative when it comes to this hobby of ours (*preferences, budgets, system synergy, hearing acuity, enthusiasm, etc., etc. etc.).

Let @waymanchen11 enthuse all he wants and enjoy his latest and greatest find. We witnesses to such enthusiasm just need to account for the fact that hyperbole is a common tool of commentary among our lot and take such along with the appropriate number of grains of salt.

:grinning:

I’m just telling like it is. The AC12 might have sounded fine when I used it before, but when you hear something better and you go back to these old cables, the music just loses too in emotions to consider. Sorry if I made everything bigger than it is, just trying to be dramatic.

1 Like

I’m confused. If you got no initial response, how could they have owned up to it? I imagine I am reading too much into your straight forward words.

I think you’re right that I tend to go way overboard with my opinion on how something sounds. I will not do another what sounds better post in the future again. I don’t want to misled anyone anymore with my exaggerations. Maybe I’ll just do music posts. :grin:

I appreciate that you understand where I was coming from. It’s not a personal attack as we all appreciate your enthusiasm, knowledge and willingness to offer up your help. We all get excited about the success we have on our audio journey and we want to continue to share that. Hopefully that quest will never end and that’s the beauty of our hobby.

Sorry, I can not. I have never had a PS Audio cable.

It took all of 6 weeks burning the PST in 24/7, before I decided to trade in my DMP. In the end I thought the differences were somewhat subtle, but meaningful. If it wasn’t for the fact that the transport mechanism was no longer available for the DMP, I may not have purchased the newer transport.

Edit: I’m wondering if maybe the reason I thought the differences were somewhat subtle between the two transports, might be because at the time i was using the stock HDMI cable. I have since upgraded the cable to the Audioquest Thunderbird 48, which improved the sound significantly. Of course the upgraded cable would’ve also helped the DMP as well.
Would be curious to know what HDMI cable others were using, that thought the differences were subtle?

1 Like

I am constantly trying to find things to improve the sound of my system and cables is one of them. i really don’t care about cost as much as how it sounds. When I found out that the RAL sounded better than my WW Platinum S7 HDMI, I was elated and told the world. It didn’t cost as much as the WW, but it didn’t matter, only that it sounded much better. Unfortunately most cables that sounds better generally cost more. As it is I believe all cables are over priced anyway, after all it’s just a wire. But the sound and performance it give to my system, I am willing to pay the price.
When I find a cable that sounds better, that doesn’t mean the old cable no long sounds good in reality, just that I enjoy the new cable more in my system. The WW or RAL can still sound fantastic in another system, but if they were to ask me what would be an improvement to those cables, I would say the Dragon from my experience. I do get your point that I’m overstating it, so I’ll just move on. I hope I haven’t hurt anyone’s feelings.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response. I was merely looking for an opinion. The PSA ac-12 solid silver cable is about 10 yrs old . I haven’t tried anything else and was looking to see if there was an evolution in the dragon hdmi silver cable now. To see if it would be worth my while. Preliminary it sounds like it would!

Nick?

Yes the PS Audio AC-12 is an oldie. Cables has improved so much over the years. Just about any HDMI cable from the AQ or other brand cable companies line would be an improvement. It’s just that the higher up the line you go, the better it sounds. I believe the cable companies do listen to their own cables and price accordingly. But of course buy what you can afford. From others that posted, even the lower line AQ cables are fabulous!

I have wasted so much money on so called giant killer bargain cables that I could have saved myself a lot of trouble and money just getting the best ones I could afford.

But, I could have wasted even more money on top-line cables and be disappointed too. So I appreciate fellow audiophile inputs on top cables that match with PSA gears well. I will choose which ones I can afford based on my budget.

1 Like