Silver vs. Black - WHY would anyone pick Black? ;)

See, what a wonderful beauty compared to a black box.

1 Like

This reminds me of the sports car debate: black wheels or chrome?

Chrome is considered exceedingly dated by some; others despise black.

As chrome is considered a sign of the superannuated, the new 2020 Corvette does not include chrome as an option.

I suspect a lot of the same dynamic is present in Audio.

1 Like

That does look very nice

Always bet on black! :laughing:

Elk. You forgot that Silver sounds better. This was proven in earlier posts above…

Now, THAT is a nice Black! That’s my point though, some nice brushed Aluminium black looks good. Powder coated looks better in Silver. My dad bought a set of Sansui directly from Japan when I was a child, it was glorious and amazing. I can’t remember the model but was brushed black face with silver knobs and buttons, maybe that’s what got me into HiFi, these things still sell for $1k-3k and built like a tank! I think we had the AU-20000

2 Likes

They still look good 40 years later

2 Likes

…begging to be touched and fondled.

[Too much?]

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing! I also LOVED how the new Technics equipment looked while at AXPONA! Two of the most nicely built ones, great sound plus throwback to the 70s. New Yamaha HiFi products have also gone the same route and look amazing to me!

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

I also auditioned their lowest model in the new rage, AS800 for my dad and it was an absolute BEAST for its size and price! Who says HiFi is dead? I seriously can’t think of another time in the last 20yrs where there were so many great options! HiFi has been revitalized over the last few years, both at the home stereo front, and specially in the headphone market! The one area it has been diminished is the dealer issue, which is mostly because of Amazon, not the industry.

Not all silver is bad…

3 Likes

Jeff Rowland cosmetics are among the best in the industry. Very nice,

I just know that I will own something from the JR collection at some point.

Is this yours? Care to share anything about its performance and characteristics…?

I am in the market for “my last” integrated amplifier or last stand alone, balanced preamplifier and have long lusted after a used, shiny piece of JR kit.

Cheers.

What’s old is new again. Those not around for the 70’s seem to find that aesthetic stylin’.

2 Likes

As do some of us who were around…

I’ve mostly heard love for that from 20 and 30-somethings🤷🏻‍♂️. And I was referring to the Yamaha, not the Rowland, which I think looks modern vs. retro. I like even older looks:

Also a kick-ass piece of gear.

4 Likes

That looks like the last thing you look at before saying “Flight Attendants please be seated for take-off”

Wow, anything that looks like that has got to sound special.
I dunno, I still stuck on this sliver trip. Maybe I should stop smokin this stuff.

2 Likes

Its the last thing the mastering engineer sees before you get your album ; )

2 Likes