Silver vs. Black - WHY would anyone pick Black? ;)

I hate them both. Albeit in a car you could do it in a way to make it look cool but generally a black on black car loses most of the curves that make it unique. My 911 is Gray and next car would be even lighter. Coming back to PS audio though, like the pics posted about, the black just looks cheaper and not as higher end. As I said some other black components like brushed Aluminum pieces still maintain the premium feel. But I also understand if you wanna hide the equipment, blacks the best.

1 Like

I’m gonna tell batman you said that.

2 Likes

stop_touching_me

4 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Silver sounds better than black so I’ll go with silver. If someone can prove to me that black sounds better than silver, then I’ll go with black. Champagne sounds pretty good too like some Japanese products.

3 Likes

Wow. That’s a great point. We need to do a double blind test of Black vs. Silver equipment. I’m sure Silver sounds best! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I have all kind of colors but I’m most happy with silver since that color is most “timeless”/fresh for me.
Just see all my colors.
I think Mahogny and brass/gold are my absolute favourites.

2 Likes

Hmmmm… Not sure I wouldn’t consider black equally timeless. And if something is perishable, meaning “fresh” is an appropriate descriptor, then it will eventually stale!

The saying goes, once you go black you never go back!

2 Likes

Black looks nice in this setting, I’d say. Very primary. Very contrasty. Very clean.

4 Likes

That really looks awesome!

All black for us.

I’ve taped over all the component lights; all units are black. Room lights are red and turned down low. Eyes are closed. Wondrous sound arises out of the dark, black background.

And even at that, we wear blue-blocker glasses for a better night’s sleep afterwards.

“You want it darker? Kill the flame.” - Leonard Cohen

1 Like

Silver sticks out like a sore thumb. I went through a silver phase but now I much prefer black. Also makes it easier to match components. Not every brand makes both colors. I think the PS Audio black with the blue lights look killer in a darkened room.

1 Like

Black absorbs more light/heat than silver, so it has a much warmer sound :sunglasses:

Silver guys, listen to Leonard about this one:

If silver was standardized it would be more palatable. When you mix silver components from other vendors they lose their cohesiveness as they are all different shades. Black is black.

1 Like

From looking straight at my rack and the BHK 250 on a 3" Maple butcher block in front of it they are all black but they are certainly not the same shade of black but still a more cohesive look than different silver finishes.

For me the black components tend to disappear in the room a little easier than the silver ones would. That and probably the fact that the first “high end” components I was able to afford were a Sansui AU-717 & TU-717 which were black. The amp lost a channel a long time ago but I still have them both. This picture is from the interweb not my house.

Since my music/audiophool formative years were the mid-70’s through the mid- to late 80’s, I have always been drawn to kit with lots of knobs and switches. This Sansui kit is very easy on the eyes. I thought the old Carver stuff (during the Sonic Holography heydays) was sexy as well, along with the popular Japanese receivers and preamps of the day of course.

Cheers.

1 Like

PS

Luxman is making a bit of a comeback and I am waxing nostalgic:

4 Likes