Snowmass DirectStream Junior is now live

Thanks. Shouldn’t be necessary. But always seems to be.

My USB stick isn’t even recognized. The Jr. just starts up like nothing is in the USB port. Tried multiple times, with multiple versions too. This shouldn’t be a crapshoot on who it will work for and who it won’t.

1 Like

Thanks Ted … I followed your instructions to the letter again, being very mindful of all steps. Still no luck. I have contacted support and hoping for a resolution. I agree with @jhchernoff that some build/release testing and/or QA on this specific issue seems to be called for. Thanks for the quality upgrades and especially for this forum where we can discuss these topics.

I had the same issue with the thumb drive not being recognized. I followed Ted’s steps and went to Yale. Then went to Snowmass from Yale and was successful!

Hope it works for ya’ll! Yale seems to be a good place to go. I’ve been to Harvard and MIT but it was a quick visit to Yale that solved my Snowmass problems (go figure).

Thank you all at PS Audio. Snowmass impressions to follow…

1 Like

I loaded it five times and always ended up with Redcloud

What’s the secret, I don’t have Yale.

Yale is available on the PS site under Downloads. Make sure you reformat your thumb drive each time.

thanks, I’ll try that…

Same issue with mine

Didn’t work for me. Is there a full factory reset.

Sorry to hear about the problems some are having! I couldn’t go direct from Redcloud so backtracked to Yale. I gave that a wee listen for sh*ts and giggles :frowning_face:

Yale to Snowmass worked 1st time. Listening now. Wow. Like it. Big improvement in bass for me - I’ve had to wind the sub woofers on my Triton 1’s back a touch.

great job PS Audio - this sort of upgrade-ability is exactly why i shelled out for this DAC!

Now, if there was only a solve for the high noise floor that didn’t involve me buying a pre-amp…

I just did the Yale Snowmass 2 step shuffle and… it worked. Merry Christmas :tada:

Just suceeded with the upgrade. I opened a brand new SanDisk, and it loaded up this time. Thanks for the help…

1 Like

I’m also having issues loading anything other than Redcloud. Tried one USB stick but didn’t get the blinking logo, so I tried another which seemed to do the trick. But no dice. now I get the satisfying blinking for a good while only to find I’m still stuck with my old pal, Redcloud (it could be worse, I’m sure).

What I don’t know is, if the DSJ goes through the motions of loading the firmware (blinking logo, blank display for a minute before starting up), does that at least rule out USB stick compatibility as the culprit, or is that not much of an indication of anything?

I have a 32 GB USB 3.0 Sandisk Extreme for flashing duties; formatted I don’t know how many times by now. Tried Snowmass, Yale, and yes, the bare files on root level.

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

POLL: Here is What Happened When I Tried to Install Snowmass on My DSJ:

• I Went from Redcloud to Snowmass Without Issue.
  • I Went from Redcloud to Yale to Snowmass Without Issue.
  • I Went from Redcloud to a Pre-Redcloud OS Other than Yale to Snowmass Without Issue.
  • I Tried Updating to Snowmass from Redcloud and from Yale, But Nothing has Worked So Far.

0 voters

I had some issues with upgrading the firmware and finally got it with a fresh out of the package USB stick, after several attempts with a reformatted one. All good now…

Which Sandisk USB stick is it specifically, if you don’t mind?

SanDisk Ultra…Smallest new one I had was a 32gb. Reformatting a Lexar did not work on Yale or Snowmass for DSJ. I did NOT remove the SanDisk software, and loaded it direct from my imac.

1 Like

Thanks, was not expecting a picture! That’s good to know. I don’t know what could possibly be the distinction there, but if this is a thing, maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a bunch of owners compile a list of USB hardware that has worked in the past. That is, unless this has been a dead end before and I’m beating a dead horse.

Who knows, might have just of been a formatting issue with the used Lexars…a fresh SanDisk did the trick.