Snowmass DirectStream Junior is now live

I used a new USB Drive when upgrading to Redcloud, however, this time I used a reformatted drive for Snowmass (via Yale**see above). It actually took a few attempts, multiple reformats, and a rain dance or two until everything fell into place. Keep the faith, the juice is worth the squeeze.

Snowmass loaded for me without issue. Too e

I can load Snowmass without issue but canā€™t type. Hmm/ Anyway , too early to judge but I agree with Linechef424, it seems a bit ā€œPipe and Slippersā€ at the moment. Very smooth and balanced.

Easy upgrade, took one try.

Iā€™m hearing better separation, less congestion. Sibilants are well defined without being sharp. Improved front to back soundstage. There seems to be a real sweetness on well recorded voices that I hadnā€™t noted before on redcloud.

I got a new couch this weekend in my listening room that seems to have really changed the bass response!! I had to turn off my subwoofer on Sunday. Unfortunately I have to redo my bass levels and phase on my Rythmik sub and Gallo sub amp, and so donā€™t have a good comparison for the bass to redcloud.

Iā€™m using two albums for critical listening these days: Foclor Imaginario by Gepe, and Efemera by Tulipa Ruiz. both are streamed via Tidal. Check em out.

Interestingly the remote pause button works for mcontrol/tidal. Forward and reverse buttons donā€™t.

Thanks to the team at PS Audio and especially to Ted!

My setup:
SOtM modified FMCs -> DSjr -> BHK PRe -> BHK 250-> Gallo Ref 3.5, PS Audio p5, Gallo sub amp, Rythmik F15, GIK room treatments, AC3/5 power cables

3 Likes

I have exactly the same scenario here, down to the Sandisk Extreme. Same result, always ending up at Redcloud. And the same question, does the blinking logo rule out USB stick compatibility?

If you guys that are having problems with the upgrade have followed Tedā€™s guidelines to the letter and are still having problems then go to Walmart, Staples, Office Depot, etc. and buy a new USB storage device and get it over with. You will be out a few dollars but your problem may be resolved. These cheap storage devices do go bad for unknown reasons. In fact while you are there buy two so you will be prepared for the next upgrade.

Sure, why not? While waiting for support, I ordered a new Sandisk USB drive via Amazon, deliverable tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

Happy to report that the SM upgrade worked just fine. I used a new USB drive, followed Tedā€™s instructions and things are ready to go.
I am very appreciative of Tedā€™s skill and dedication, Paulā€™s community engagement and the PSAudio communityā€™s loyality. Also, I should add there was involved an old fashioned dollop of patience which I should have thanked my mother for many years ago when she repeated the doses.

My DSJ needed to downgrade to Yale before upgrade to SM successfully.
Very nice and accurate sound stage, better bass texture and clarity.
Good job for PS Audio!
Being a 4 PS Audio devices owner, I am really happy that all of them are providing me with outstanding performance!

2 Likes

This is what kept me from bringing the tech and IT side of things to my audio rig for many years (and Iā€™m an IT guy, professionally). Murphy is at every corner!

Although isnā€™t uncommon this kind of behaviour in IT land, I cannot understand the different behaviour between similar DSj units. Isnā€™t every DSj exactly the same?

Nonetheless, Iā€™m really happy choosing this (IT/tech/) path for main (and only) source, were I became part of PS Audio family, had the opportunity to know @tedsmith, @Paul , @DarrenMyers, and the PS Audio work, and have one of the best DAC I have ever heard.

Thanks for being there for us.

PS: Not so thanks for the less then 4 hours sleep, and running late this morningā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

New thumb drive, formatted, etc. but no success despite multiple attempts last night. Tried the Yale fix, no success. Switched to a different thumb drive, ditto. Iā€™ve decided to just sit this one out and let PS Audio sell me a memory stick they know will work. Unlike many PSA purchasers (at least those who post), Iā€™d rather not tinker with my gear too much and definitely not with software. Having said that, I love the sound as it is now so I can wait.

1 Like

Will the new super DAC have a ā€œremote updateā€ feature where it installs from the PS Audio server? Might be an idea. You could fit a USB port as a fail-safe as well.

1 Like

Forward and reverse buttons on my remote finally work

You donā€™t have to tinker, especially with software.
Just use an old, small capacity usb pen drive. Format it, downgrade to Yale and then Snowmass.
I usually use a 10 years, 256 MB (not GB) pendrive.
My new 32GB pendrive does not work with DSJ

1 Like

@marcin Many thanks! Found an old 256 MB drive lying around (from some old conference I went to), formatted it, downgraded to Yale, and upgraded successfully to Snowmass. Now for some listening. . . .

2 Likes

Just use an old, small capacity usb pen drive. Format it, downgrade to Yale and then Snowmass.

1 Like

How are you formatting the drive? Itā€™s interesting that the drive isnā€™t being recognized at all. Even a brand new drive. Are you formatting to FAT32? And just as a reminder when you copy over the new firmware files be sure to copy just the files. No folder. If the files are in a folder the Directstream will not update. In fact PS Audio shouldnā€™t put the files in a folder when making the zip file. It just adds potential issues for customers to have.

1 Like

They are not in a folder for Snowmass.
For Yale yes (a folder named DSj an another MAC).

Yes, but some programs will unzip the files to a folder with the name of the zipfile. Itā€™s just a helpful reminder.

Yes followed all the instructions ā€“ formatting, copying only files, etc. I had bought a small drive (16 GB) but it wasnā€™t being recognized. Problem solved by following @marcinā€™s suggestion of using a much older and smaller capacity drive (256 MB). That one was recognized. Needed to downgrade first, then upgrade to Snowmass.