Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

Ok, will try that. Thx!

Every time you turn the rear power switch on, the dac will initialize. This is normal and has nothing to do with Snowmass or any other firmware version.

arcus7 - We’re getting into some potential confusion of “initializing” and “FW updating”.

Since, as I recall, this FW update is a “force load” (contrary to prior updates), if you leave the card with the update on it in the unit, it will indeed go through the FW Update process each time you power up. Take it out, and it will initialize normally on power up, while retaining the FW update.

This may be something that only applies to those of us who have the original Bridge. But, when I use the volume control while the Bridge is being used I lose track information and cover art. The only way I can get it to function properly again is by switching it off and then back on so that it goes through initialization again. The SD card I’m using is blank except for the cover art folder.

It’s just a long shot, but if something goes wrong while writing to the SD card, e.g. a power cycle, etc. the SD card file system might be corrupted. You might try to format the card just in case.

Geez, you’re good, Ted. Did exactly what you said, put the formatted SD card back in, got the Bridge going, adjusted the volume both up and down and the display held onto the track information and the cover art.

Thank you, so much.

When formatting the SD-card in a Macbook, what file-system shoúld I use ?

The card should be formatted as FAT16. My understanding, as a non-Apple user, is MACs do not natively format in FAT16 and one needs an program/application to do so.

I’m 99.9% Mac since 1986 (have a Windows laptop for testing stuff for clients) and have never had an issue with formatting, as Macs are able to do “MS-DOS FAT” (which may be 16?) as well as “Ex-FAT”. - though I will stipulate that with regard to PS’s SD-card devices, I’m talking the DMP, as the Junior is USB-stick (again, no issues).

MS-DOS FAT in AppleSpeak is FAT32.

1 Like

Good to know - so not sure if it is a DSSr.-specific thing.

And Ted recommends FAT16 for the best chances of an upgrade going through without issues. In a previous thread I’ve talked about this Apple related issue possibly being one of the root causes of so many unsuccessful firmware upgrades. In macOS it is possible to format to FAT16 but it’s no where near as easy as it is in Windows. It’s not built into the OS to do it through a built in GUI. Most users will want to download a third party application to do it. In Windows it’s as easy as right clicking on the SD card, choosing Format and FAT16. Takes 5 seconds without the need of a third party application.

Apple’s macOS may be more intuitive to use but I’ve always felt it’s a far less granular OS that locks you in to how Apple wants you to use it requiring workarounds to do the same things one can do by default (and for free) in Windows. Another example some here might relate to, I know a lot of people here use something called BitPerfect for macOS. A paid 3rd party application to get around macOS’s built in mixer. This option is built into windows and has been for over a decade for free.

1 Like

My problem is to update my DS Sr from Snowmass V1 to Snowmass V2.The DAC starts up and initalizes. No flashing Logo and no update. The fine thing is that everything seems to work perfect, but no covert-art. My Bridge II is updated to 3.6.17

I have allways used my Macbook when I update my DS Sr. I have had no problems earlier, and my Mac formats the card in FAT 16. I now tried the same with a Windows-PC. Same problem. I also tried with two different SD-cards. Both Sandisk ( 2GB and 4GB)

Did you only copy the files to your SD card? Only the files, no folder / subfolder?
The files (and only the files) must reside in the root of the SD-card and nothing else. Then powercycle your DSD and it should run…

Only the files and nothing else on the SD-card
files

I do not recall; have you tried reverting to an earlier firmware and then again updating to Snowmass?

Files only, no folders. Try and format the card to FAT16 if you can. In macOS FAT16 requires you to use Terminal or a third party application. Otherwise, using the normal built in macOS formatting option, it’s formatted to FAT32.

1 Like

Hi.

As far as I can see everything is done correct. Only the files on the Root of the card.
I also tried to install Redcloud with same result.

Are you really sure you formatted the card to FAT16?

The force load of Snowmass should get the upgrade to take.

Hi, I had the same problem. It would not update from my SD created with my macbook. I re-formated the card in my windows PC, copied the files using that same PC. All went well.

I recall MS-DOS guys touting the granular control of the commandline interface from back before Microsoft copied the Mac GUI and called it “windows”:wink:

There’s an app called Terminal on all Macs that allows that control.

Oh, and BTW, can you do Mac formatting on your windows computer?

1 Like