Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

“Poppy”:

I think we have our wires crossed. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Or, I am confused.

The problem is that the Bridge “is not seeing the internet”. It is not connecting to the internet properly/in a timely manner. There is no issue with my computer seeing the Bridge. I can check the Bridge connection on the front panel of the DAC and see that there is no ISP/internet connection. I believe the computer is a non-factor/irrelevant to the issue at hand b/c the internet connection begins with the modem/router (not with the computer).

Anyone else want to chime in and set me straight…?

The fiber optic isolation kit is an add on and the connectivity issues preceded their addition to the system. Don’t forget, all of my connected devices are downstream of the Gigabit Media Converters and the passive Gigabit Switch. This leads me to believe there is an issue with the Bridge that is unique (b/c other internet devices do not have any problem “seeing” and connecting to the internet/router).

Thanks again,

Scott

PS

I’ll run the Cat7 cable direct from the router to the Bridge when I have a chance and see if that makes any difference just for fun.

Scott

Have to shortly praise Ted again…you brought us so much deeper into music once more, it’s such an improved intense experience!

After rephasing the sub past first update the bass is not only so colorful and nuanced but also well articulated and overall so much more information in terms of timbre everywhere. Piano sound is so much better. It was simply not imaginable before to have a 6k source with such performance!

I guess your TSS will kill the competition finally., but your software seems to be essential still.

3 Likes

Returning to the fade-in issue…

Question for @tedsmith: could you provide a preview of how the upcoming fix for the fade-in is going to work? You said previously the fade-in time would be made adjustable. Does that mean a scale from no fade-in time to some maximum. And, how would the adjustment be made? If it involves interacting with the touch screen of the DS I’d be out of luck because my screen has been completely unresponsive to touch since 2 weeks after it arrived about 6 months ago.

This fade-in thing is, for me at this point, the only serious issue coming between me and the unimpeded enjoyment of my music with my PSA gear. I’d hate to have to either just continue to live with it or go back to Redcloud.

As for now, my workaround is to always remember to listen for the first note of music on each disc after hitting play and then hitting stop; then again hitting play to restart the disc. An increasingly annoying procedure.

That’s ages ago since you first mentioned you had a fault with the screen. I thought you would have changed it by now. Was it not both screens DS & DMP ?

Why don’t you just get it swapped over or ask PSA to send you a replacement screen and fit it yourself. PSA sent me a new screen for my BHK Preamp (to Scotland) and I fitted it myself.

I just can’t see why you stubbornly refuse to address a fault condition with the screen ?

1 Like

To send the DAC in means at least a week (more likely 2) without any music and that’s a terrible prospect.

But, yes it’s both the DMP and DS that are unresponsive and I’ve tried all the fixes recommended by PSA staff to no effect so I’ve been putting off dealing with it since, up until this fade-in issue, I’ve had no need to get into the machine’s settings, etc.

I see your predicament. I am spoiled for choice. Two DS boxes, PWT* (*although very unreliable) and OPPO 103. Personally - I couldn’t put up with unresponsive screens and, with their fault condition, their musical performance will be compromised.

2 Likes

Have you tried recalibrating your screen? (https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-calibrate-a-perfectwave-touch-screen/)

Does pressing “pause” waiting for a second and they pressing “play” work in your situation?

Any setting of the fade-up time would involve the using the tough screen, but the default wouldn’t be the long length that the fade-up takes right now.

Thanks. Downloaded, installed and it worked perfectly the first time. I suppose I should have been smart enough to figure this out, but since my SD card for the update is the same one I used for Roon album art, I left it in after upgrading to Snowmass and the unit of course went into the upgrade sequence again (blue light flashing) when I rebooted it for unrelated reasons. Guess I should have deleted the binaries from the SD card before rebooting the unit again.

Multitudes of screen recalibrations have had no effect.

I don’t understand the “pause” “play” question because, on my remote, “pause” and “play” are the same button.

E.g. Press the button twice, wait, then press it again. After pausing you can probably navigate where you want and then press play without a fade-up. I say probably because I don’t know if any of this changed with any particular software release for the DMP.

Oh, you mean 3 pressings of the button. That I haven’t tried though it sounds very much like what I’m already doing with starting play–stopping play–then re-starting play again.

Will report back tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

So I finally got around to loading SM2 and it was as nice as SM1 but I still thought bass was missing. I started messing with Phase as you had suggested and it turned out my Subs (pair of REL T9i for L&R) were out of phase with my main speakers. So I ran some SPL measurements while messing with the subs, then switched to Red Cloud, then back to SM2. Same preamp volume setting and DAC at 100 no attenuation.

SM2 - Test 1
0 phase on both subs: 67.6 dB
180 phase on both subs: 74.1dB

Switch to Red Cloud
0 Phase on both subs: 67.6 dB
180 Phase on both subs: 74.2 dB

Switch back to SM2 - Test 2
0 Phase on both subs: 67.4 dB
180 Phase on both subs: 74.2 dB

I also tested both subs with alternating 180 on one and 0 on the other and the results were slightly higher but close to the 0 Phase setting.

So basically what this tells me is that my bass was always screwed up, and the only change was me trying to find something that was amiss, which there was, but not due to the software upgrade.

The bass is now awesome! Thanks for suggesting messing with my settings Ted! Of course this makes me question whether I needed a new amp and pre, but it would have happened anyway at some point…(that is what I will tell myself)

Breathtaking advance, actually. Until Snowmass, I did not fully appreciate the skill and musicality in Ringo Starr’s drumming. It is not more prominent in the soundscape, just more noticeable as part of the musical ensemble.

Every time one thinks it cannot get better, it does. Kudos.

Neal

1 Like

Ringo does not get enough credit as a drummer. Never did and probably never will…

1 Like

Anyone knows, why the DAC always needs to reload/initizialize the Snowmass software when powering on the system? Wasn’t the case with the earlier softwares…:neutral_face: How can you avoid that?

You can delete the files from the SD card and then put the card back in so you get cover art

And does this prevent the DS DAC from always re-initializing Snowmass?

It won’t try loading the software again but there will be the short initialising screen, not the flashing blue loading software 2-3 minute load