So what will this mean for the DMP?

Guys, if in doubt, do what Peanut-butter suggested, and buy a replacement optical pickup mechanism. It contains all of the wearable parts. Here’s the same unit which is in the DMP on Amazon…

3 Likes

For the record PSA is NOT selling DMP drive units. I had an issue with mine in 2017 and had one replaced under warranty.

As soon as I heard Oppo discontinued the drive units, I reached out to my dealer and PSA to obtain a replacement drive unit. The decision was escalated to Paul & Bob S. who declined to provide one unless mine had failed.

My guess is anyone selling a DMP with an extra drive unit did not get it from PSA.

2 Likes

Ok…I stand corrected. But the DMP for sale had a spare Mech and other parts as supplied by PSA… I am only going with the the sellers details and photos supplied…!

2 Likes

If this is for sure the exact one needed I will gladly purchase one and keep it on a shelf.

1 Like

I have decided to get a server and use the DMP only for the most critical listening.
DMP and DSD together is still best sound quality.

1 Like

Paul. How many DMP drive units failed in the field to have gone through all of the Oppo drives PSA had in stock?Does not look good for long term DMP owners. Mine is still under warranty…what happens if my drive should fail also?

3 Likes

saying that Oppo had No More Drive Units points to a bad business model…and total disrespect of its loyal customers!

PSA should have Already have had replacement units IN STOCK, in excess…the Oppo excuse is pitiful!! … trying to buy after the fact is disgraceful…

these actions boarder on idiocy (well beyond it, actually)

ok…thread will now poof away … starting with my addition here…ADDING Insult To Injury…

1st is was sold to me as a Blu-ray player…now, no replacement parts WHILE even during the warranty period.

PATHETIC!

I Ron-ic: Fer feck’s sake - you sound like Our Fearful Leader. PATHETIC!

They stocked all that were available from the company that Abandoned!!! them.

There may be folks hoarding the drives. Who knows.

Wow. Bad day?

they should have had them all along to support any unit sold…especially during the warranty period and beyond

i used to think you were much more intelligent…but, you don’t seem to possess comprehension of the written word of my prior post?

1 Like

Nope - do not comprehend your genius :man_shrugging:t2:

You may, however, want to read back over the past couple of years about this device. Or not.

Even when affected and feeling right in anger, respect is essential…especially here, especially towards Paul imo.It’s always a precondition for things to rule out well at the end…and I’m quite sure they can.

2 Likes

I think Paul did in fact state that’s there were enough drives to satisfy future claims. However OPPO did no one favours by shuttering their business and not even selling it to a third party. It must have screwed over many end users down the line. If PSAudio has too few of these, that would be a shame. There’s always options like cannibalism of working OPPO units. Plus drives pop up all over the place when you start looking for them.

1 Like

This is, unfortunately, what happens when businesses change strategies or otherwise stop manufacturing products.

For example, when Wadia was acquired by Fine Sounds a few years ago, the new owners decided to sell off their entire supply of spare parts for the CD players and DACs they made to a third-party repair company.

That means there is exactly one repair company in the world that can repair Wadia CD players at this point, and it’s not Wadia, despite the fact that Wadia is still in business.

PS Audio could only do so much here; once Oppo decided to exit the business they were limited to what Oppo would still sell them.

Not for nothing, this exact same situation happened to all those who used the Phillips SACD transport in 2005 or so when they abruptly stop making their transport. Musical Fidelity, Krell, dCS and other were left out in the cold. dCS made an Esoteric retrofit for $3000 all the rest were boat anchors as their transports failed.

In terms of the DMP under warranty. PSA has a legal obliteration to fix or replace your unit under the terms of the warranty no question. Either in warranty or out I suspect they will make a retrofit to their new transport or they would provided a very, very generous trade in towards their new transport.

1 Like

Well, s**t happens. I get that. The DMP does sound wonderful, but I’m still a little bit chapped at trading in the original PWT a couple of years ago to get SACD capability only to be served up another obsolete unit in relatively short order on top of the wonky “spaghetti” control code.

FWIW - understandably the Oppo situation was out of their control, but I did contact PSA when the news about Oppo broke to see about a spare drive, and was assured that they had stockpiled “plenty” to be able to service existing units for years to come and not to worry about it.

5 Likes

Panasonic DP-UB9000. It has special settings for JVC 4K projectors to enhance HDR. I still own and use the oppo 203 but I have heard great things about the Panasonic players video quality.

2 Likes

That is close. As I have said, when we got word Oppo was closing their doors we purchased their entire inventory of drives. I believe most of those have been used already but I will check to make sure. When we get DMPs in on trade we remove their drives to keep a small inventory, but that’s about as good as we can do. When the supplier bellies up you do what you can under the circumstances.

I expect that when we launch the new SACD transport we’ll get a number of DMP in on trade and these too can have their drives removed and enter into our repair stock.

4 Likes

I am a PSA fan, with four products (P20, dmp, dss, stellar phono).
But I will think twice about buying PSA again if my 3 year old dmp fails and can’t be repaired or traded in with minimal loss.
Especially when the CEO told us not to worry because he had enough spare drives.

2 Likes

I’ve been given no word at all from the tech team nor ops that we can’t repair the DMP anymore. Paul is exactly right, once we release the new transport, we’ll be in an even better spot with parts for repair. I expect us to do a generous trade up deal as it’s clear these extra parts are still very valuable to us.

1 Like