Sound Advise or Sound Vice?

Here is some info on sound, how it works and why.

Angus, J. Howard, D. Acoustics and Psychoacoustics. Focul Press

The sound Bible or … The Long Version

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60666943/“Acoustics-and-psychoacoustics”-by-David-M-Howard-and-Jamie-A-S-Angus

Sound and The Secrets of Vibrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5sZi-OocoU

http://attunedvibrations.com/solfeggio/

The Solfeggio frequencies were lost because throughout history different tuning applications have been used. Ancient tuning practices used a system of tuning known as “Just Intonation.” The method of Just Intonation featured pure intervals between every note that were mathematically related by ratios of small whole numbers leading to a much purer sound.

The tuning practice adopted for western cultures from about the 16th century and used today is known as “Twelve-Tone Equal Temperament”. According to Joachim Ernst-Berendt, the 12-Tone Equal Temperament mistunes all consonant intervals except the octave. Our modern scale can create situations such ‘boxed-in’ thinking, stuffed and suppressed emotions, fear-based or lack consciousness, all of which then tend to manifest into physical symptoms called ‘dis-ease’ or disease.

Our modern day musical scale is out of sync when compared with the original Solfeggio scale. If we want to bring harmony in our lives, we need to replace the dissonant western scale with a web of subtle and clear intervallic relationships of the Solfeggio music. Let the music become once again a tool to raise human nature and a method to connect you with the Source.

Your secret key to the Universe

Tune yourself back to the perfect vibrations

Nikola Tesla, the great genius and father of electromagnetic engineering, had once said, “If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would hold a key to the universe”. The 3, 6, and 9 are the fundamental root vibrations of the Solfeggio frequencies.

Albert Einstein stated: “Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” All matter beings vibrate at specific rates and everything has its own melody. The musical nature of nuclear matter from atoms to galaxies is now finally being recognized by science.

That is why these frequencies are so powerful. They can literally bring you back to the original tones of the heavenly spheres and put your body into a balanced resonance. Solfeggio music is the key to the Universe. You can either throw it away or you can use it to find healing and harmony, health and well-being. Just play the music!

The “528Hz” miracle?

or

A440 vs A444.

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160016

Gordon said: http://www.scribd.com/doc/60666943/“Acoustics-and-psychoacoustics”-by-David-M-Howard-and-Jamie-A-S-Angus

I spent about ten minutes going through this. It appears to be a nice introductory text.

Gordon said: The tuning practice adopted for western cultures from about the 16th century and used today is known as “Twelve-Tone Equal Temperament”. According to Joachim Ernst-Berendt, the 12-Tone Equal Temperament mistunes all consonant intervals except the octave. Our modern scale can create situations such ‘boxed-in’ thinking, stuffed and suppressed emotions, fear-based or lack consciousness, all of which then tend to manifest into physical symptoms called ‘dis-ease’ or disease.

This does not hold true for classical music performance.

While most pianos are tuned to the twelve tone equal tempered scale, accomplished classical string and wind musicians tune to perfect intervals. Thus, for example, when tuning a major chord, the fifth is perfect and the third is played a bit flatter than equal temperament.

Often the keyboard, especially harpsichord, is also tuned to pure intervals as the key of the piece performed is known in advance.

1 Like

About “attuned intervals” and such: Elk’s comments about tuning are correct. More broadly, almost every culture acknowledges that music has a profound effect on human beings – but not every culture uses the scale discussed in this article. Plato, for instance, talked about the effects of the various modes (pentatonic scales of ancient Greek music); the Dorian mode made men brave and aggressive, for instance. Indian classical musicians take the spiritual aspect of their music very seriously, but they certainly don’t use the same scale as Gregorian chant. And back in the day (that is, the middle ages) monks singing in Rome didn’t use quite the same “A” as those in Paris or London or wherever; pitch in Europe wasn’t standardized until the 19th century. So saying that we can associate exact frequencies with the Guidonean syllables is nonsense.

That said, it’s entirely possible that certain frequencies may have beneficial effects on people. I just wish purveyors of such ideas wouldn’t base them on demonstrably incorrect statements about music (yes, non-keyboard players can play in tune) or historical inaccuracies. If a researcher wants to say “my patients improve when exposed to frequencies X and Y,” that’s fine; we might even confirm that through brain wave scans and such.

A wonderful, succinct summary. You first paragraph provides a great introduction to the issue.

magister said:. . . it’s entirely possible that certain frequencies may have beneficial effects on people. I just wish purveyors of such ideas wouldn’t base them on demonstrably incorrect statements about music (yes, non-keyboard players can play in tune) or historical inaccuracies. . . .

Exactly.

The only example of which I am aware is the the improved healing of bone fractures by cats when they purr. Humans also exhibit greater bone density and improved healing when exposed to these same frequencies. I have mentioned this before as an excellent example of legitimate research based on observation of the natural world which, at first glance, seemed fantastical.

We also know that exposure to music with which a patient is familiar and enjoys can provide great solace.

Elk said: We also know that exposure to music with which a patient is familiar and enjoys can provide great solace.

Perhaps initially given their state and the possible comfort of familiarity.

I will post next week some experiments on music and emotional effects on water.
We are mostly water, so why would they not affect us too?
There is just too much research going on now for much of this to be ignored.
Even if some of it is proven to be less than correct, I think it was worth a try.
The alternatives do not seem to be working too well.

Rockefeller and A=440
http://www.medicalveritas.org/MedicalVeritas/Musical_Cult_Control.html
Gordon said: There is just too much research going on now for much of this to be ignored.
Even if some of it is proven to be less than correct, I think it was worth a try.

I agree with this. And, lest you all think me a hard-core materialist, I am actually a kind of New Age guy who is very intrigued by things like the idea that the universe is, at bottom, vibration. But I have a problem when people don't do their homework. Rockefeller and a=440? Pitch in the baroque era tended to be a tone to a semitone lower than today, in general, but with exceptions esp. in Germany. It gradually rose in the 2nd half of the 18th and in the early 19th centuries--long before Mr. Rockefeller and his foundation. A conference in Stuttgart in 1832 first proposed a=440 as an international standard, although it took about 100 years for 440 to become almost universal. (See Wikipedia "concert pitch.") When an article leads off with such blatant inaccuracies, I don't have much trust in what else the author says.
1 Like

@magister0

I don’t disagree and we should “pick this stuff apart” since it is part of our “scientific” process.

Our Science. though, is changing and beginning to accept these new concepts of old theories.

Science has been largely funded by governments and large corporations. This also is changing and private donations are becoming more involved in steering the “scientific” objectives.

Governments want military power and the corps want $$$$$$$.

So what do you think they told the scientists to prioritize.

An example of the paradigm shift is the "Mind & Life Institute at the U of Mass Medical Center.

30 years ago, when a neuroscientist [Francisco Varela] requested funding to begin studies on how to integrate Buddhist “theories” and western science for the betterment of mankind.

They politely refused. Not on their radar at the time. foreign religion, tantric processes, etc might lose them a lot of $$ supporters and credibility.

So Dalai Lama threw in a million $ as well as Adam Engle and the M+L became a reality.

Today “mindfulness” is the biggest “buzz-word” out there and it is impossible to open a newspaper, magazine or browse a book store and not see it used.

Many are capitalizing on this “trend” with knowledge and many with too little knowledge.

Today there is not one credible American University that does not have a dept or faculty dedicated to “mindfulness”, how to achieve it, where did it come from and what good will it do us.

What I feel is important is not an immediate change in our way of life [ I certainly have not changed much] but a more open and “mindful” thought process so that we actually see more of our lives, who we really are and then we may be in a better position to “affect” such life both for us and those who come after us.

So… my posts are in no way intended to “sell my book”.

They are merely a way of sharing a journey that I am experiencing that as Jill Bolte Taylor said at the end of her amazing TED dialogue…

“And this, I thought, was an idea worth sharing”.

@Gordon: by all means keep sharing, and I didn’t think you were intending to “sell your book.” I believe that there are many ideas outside the mainstream that have, or may have, value. That’s why it bothers me so much when people weaken the case for whatever they are presenting by mixing it with information that is technically or historically inaccurate.

^

Exactly. Let’s explore what is fascinating in the world. There is enough out there without making things up.

The nonsense about tuning particularly annoyed me as it completely misrepresents what people actually hear as music. Claiming we are all listening to out of tune intervals and this creates anxiety is ludicrous. Why create such fiction?

Gordon said: “And this, I thought, was an idea worth sharing”.

A laudable concept, but perhaps employ a filter and present those ideas which actually have some foundation. some basis in reality. Purely subjective is fine, alternate theories of the cause of observable events is fair. Fiction misrepresented as objective fact is not.

BTW, many rock and pop songs are in the Mixolydian mode. This is conclusive proof popular musicians are confused, are “mixed”-up. And are all descended from Greek philosophers.

Elk said: There is enough out there without making things up.

I don't disagree but Who get's to decide when someone is "making it up"? If this is based on previous paradigms then we never move forward.
When working with "design" teams, I tend to encourage them "walk on the ceilings" and come up with "off the wall theories" and then extrapolate them until we find a way ot it hits a brick wall. Within the "fantasies" and wacko theories there is often fresh meat. We just have to figure out how to cook it.

As for the tuning intervals...
I find it quite interesting in that there may well be "frequencies" and "tones" that affect us in positive or negative ways and I highly encourage the research into this topic.
I'm not sure anyone really knows where it will lead yet but there is enough smoke to make me believe there is "meat" in there somewhere.
Lest we forget that "believing" is a critical element in our health and well being,be it a greater godlike source or the power of a pet rock. Both may indeed be equal.
OHM.
Gordon said: I don't disagree but Who get's to decide when someone is "making it up"? If this is based on previous paradigms then we never move forward.

My objection is not to a change of paradigm, which can be productive, but to the misrepresentation of objective facts.

The moon is not made of cheese, 440Hz A was around long before the Nazi party allegedly supported it as a standard, orchestras play in tune using perfect intervals. To use a contrary "fact" as the ground for an argument is fantasy - not a paradigm shift.

Then again, perhaps NASA ended the space shuttle program to protect the U.S. cheese industry from moon cheese imports.

Gordon said: I find it quite interesting in that there may well be "frequencies" and "tones" that affect us in positive or negative ways

This may be true. However, to blindly assert there is "disease or disease" experienced by musical listeners as a result of equal temperate is complete fiction.

As I have mentioned there has been extensive research into low frequency tones (25Hz to 125Hz) and their impact on tissue healing. Perhaps there is other research.

On the topic of temperaments, for centuries there have been many competing systems. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Bach championed equal temperament (see, e.g., the Well-Tempered Clavier) as the best compromise as each key and mode is equally out of tune and one can change key at will without re-tuning. Other systems are better in some circumstances, but much worse in others.

A neat aspect of synthesizers is the ability to load alternate temperaments at will. I did a lot of work developing tunings for synth keyboards in the early '80's. Walter/Wendy Carlos explored alternate tunings in the 1986 "Beauty in the Beast," a very approachable recording.

Alternate temperament remains solely a music nerd fascination, primarily as most people do not even hear a difference, much less a substantive change.

However, if other than whole number ratio perfect intervals cause stress or "dis-ease," this would damn Eastern and Mid-Eastern music as a source of great discord (pun intended); their quarter-tone and other micro-tonal scales can only be expressed in complex fractions. Yet, such music is a source of great pleasure, religious inspiration, meditative calm and expression in these cultures.

1 Like