Sprout 100 as preamp or integrated?n

strong textHi, my psaudio preamp recently gave out after 34 years. So I purchased a Sprout 100. Would you recommend running the Sprout solo with my Elac Debut Reference speakers or should I use it as a preamp and continue using my Hafler 500 amp? If I should use the Sprout as a preamp, should I still hook up my subwoofer to the Sprout or to the amp?

Thanks

My recommendation is to try it both ways and stick with the way that you like it the best

3 Likes

I agree with @mycrowave. You won’t hurt anything either way, and you may find you have a strong preference for one or the other.

Yeah, best answer is to try it both ways and see (hear) what sounds best. The amp stage within the Sprout100 is great, but I’ve heard it hooked up to an out board amp, utilizing the Sprout as a pre, and the sound was darn good.

Thanks for the help. If I did use theSprout as a preamp . Where would I hook sub? Amp or sub out on Sprout.
Thanks

If you have the ability to hook it up from the amp to high level on the sub, that’d be perfect.

I ran my Sprout100 as a pre with my Emotiva XPA-100 monoblocks whilst waiting on my SGCD. It worked very well. SGCD is better, but the Sprout sounded very nice indeed.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I’ll try all the above.

1 Like

I just connected my Sprout 100 to a Crestron CNAMPX 12x60 amp (basically a rebranded ATI 1260 ). When I power on the Sprout I get a pop from the tweeter and when I power the sprout off I get a thump from the woofer. Powering the amp on or off while the sprout is on creates no issues. I am using surge protection and have tried switching the power cords to different surge protectors on different wall outlet and no change. Can anyone comment on what the problem might be?
Thanks

In what sequence are you powering on/off your system?

Best,
-JP

I have tried it multiple ways.
If the Sprout in on and I then turn on the amp. No issues. I can power the amp on/off all day long.
If I power the sprout on or off while the amp is on I get the pop when turning on and a thump when turning off the Sprout.

John,
I just tested one additional thing. If I mute the sprout prior to powering on or off while the amp is on there is no change in the type of noise or the volume of the noise.

Thanks for the reply,
Alex

This is correct
Amp: Last On/First Off

I also mute my preamp and switch to an un-used input, just a habit I’ve always used

I believe I’ve seen one of Paul’s videos which addresses turn on/off sequence, you may want to search for that as well

Best,
-JP

Ok I didn’t not realize this was normal. I have never had a separate amp before. Unfortunately. this amp has no remote control so it’s going to be interesting to see if my wife can remember to do this.
Can the noise actually damage the speakers?
Thanks again for your help.

Thanks so much. Very nice of you to send.
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.