Streaming dropouts

I have been using Qobuz in the UK for over two years, and the streaming has always been flawless until the last few days. I am increasingly getting pauses of several seconds before the music resumes. The UK went into Coronavirus lockdown a fortnight ago, and Internet usage has increased markedly with people working from home and streaming video entertainment.

I have a fibre-to-cabinet broadband connection which is rated at 80Mbps. Tests over the last six years have consistently returned an actual 75Mbps speed until the last few days, when it has dropped to 60Mbps. This is still more than adequate for audio streaming, but I suspect that the underlying packet switching is under pressure. I have a business contract which is supposed to prioritize traffic.

Hardly the end of the world, but interesting.

1 Like

I have been frustrated by streaming dropouts, interruptions ( I don’t understand) for the past 7 to 10 days. I have to go through several different kinds of setting changes to get playlists or Tidal to work. Actually, Tidal won’t work at all. I use ROON; I am puzzled that the Live Radio through ROON has not suffer interruptions. Any comment?
I am back to CDs for 80% of my listening time, it had been down to 5%
Chas

I had the same issue with Tidal last night. Normally seamless playback. last night was filled with various cutouts and interruptions as I was listening. A puzzling part is I then shut it off and was able to stream from Netflix with no trouble at all. I can’t tell if it’s an issue with service throttling or something else.

Could be the cloud platform they run on, usually AWS or MS Azure. Azure in UK south has certainly had capacity issues the last week or two. This may explain why some streaming platforms are ok and others not, and all intermittently. Just a thought anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jamesh Thanks for your comments because I too haven’t experienced any interruption with Netflix.
I want a subscription adjustment. :thinking:
Chas

1 Like

With the shift to more people being told to stay home during this COVID-19 outbreak, a lot of the Internet and Cloud Providers are having capacity struggles. This could be apart of the problem.

1 Like