System Photos!

True. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just showing my undying love for the Jay’s Audio transport. This piece has made listening to Redbook CDs so enjoyable. Highly recommended with DS DAC.

12 Likes

Been at it again today with REW, but with the Revel M16’s in the system as well as my Topping A90 headphone amp in preamp mode since I sold my Schiit Freya+. The little A90 is quite surprising!

Anyway, started with just the Revel’s playing by themselves, measuring and adjusting placement of each one separately of course. I’m still getting that 70 Hz peak as I was with the other speakers, but I was able to lessen it some with placement. They ended up about 10" closer to the front wall and about 12" closer together.

After I got the Revel’s playing as nicely as possible on their own, I went back to the left channel only and added in the sub, adjusting gain, crossover point, crossover slope, phase and PEQ. Once that one was as good as I could get it, blending with the Revel, I muted that channel and started on the right channel.

Once each channel was to my liking, I then started tweaking them as a stereo pair. More gain adjustments, and more importantly, more phase adjustments on both subs. Not only are the subs blended extremely well with the Revel’s, but the subs are “locked in” on each other now, something I wasn’t able to do with the other speakers in the system.

I gotta say, this system is sounding splendid right now. With the PEQ and phase on each sub tweaked to the gills, I’ve been able to smooth out above and a little below that 70 Hz peak, as well as greatly lessen the dips centered around those 45 Hz and 60 Hz nulls.

Stage width and depth have improved drastically, creating a more lifelike, involved and enveloping sound stage. That 70 Hz peak isn’t anywhere near as annoying as it was before, and the subs are working together cohesively, not against each other like before. You can easily tell this as the foundation and overall grunt is stronger, tighter and much cleaner now.

Finally, it feels like I’m actually getting somewhere with this system and room. The next big tweaks of course will be room treatments. Most likely, I’ll start with some corner traps up front and a couple absorbers on the wall behind me. After that, some diffusers on the front wall. Lastly, most likely a couple more diffusers on the side walls and maybe a couple more smaller absorbers one the side walls right along side my listening seat.

For now, here’s a few shots and measurements…

All graphs are with both channels driven.

12 dB Smoothing…

Decay…

Waterfall…

Spectrograph…

10 Likes

Hello fellow inmates!

Things have been evolving steady here.

First these came:

Then another pair of these arrived:

And a short while later, without much sit-ups and no dieting I still managed a six pack :joy:

Still tuning (probably for the next while!!), some measurements from seated position…

Psychoacoustic smoothing:

1/6 octave response:

This has been last few months of upgrades trying a methodical approach to see the changes and definite improvements with room acoustics, cable elevation tweaks, and step by step speaker/sub upgrades and various placement theories, finally landing on “Master Set Speaker Setup” plus measuring to get my current results.
Not hiding my excitement, I’m super pleased so far. :beers:

35 Likes

FANTASTIC!!! Congrats!

1 Like

Noice job mate! Oh heck yeah!
I want to be in that room.

And symmetrical as well!! Totally envious here.

What are your sources and where are they hiding?

1 Like

If the subs had EQ, you could even get completely rid of the 33 Hz peak…

1 Like

Nothings changed yet😉

Btw I’ve been following your journey with great interest too!!

20 Likes

An audiophile’s ’ Structural Work of Art".

2 Likes

I might try Roon’s parametric EQ to test things out. I know blasphemy with DSP in software, but I think it will give a good test to see how it functions acoustically. Ideally I think I’ll make another deeper bass trap(maybe 10 inches deep-) to see if that helps out too.

Subs without EQ are a mystery to me. Maybe you can use MiniDSP just for the subs as some do.

1 Like

Funny enough I use MiniDSP in my theatre room. Great for even room response. Even with the bass hump in my music room, it’s still more musical in the bass - mid bass regions. And I have great subs in the theatre room too.

Beautiful gear and room…congratulations!!

Best wishes

1 Like

I haven’t checked into this thread for several days, so this post isn’t exactly timely, but it’s worth pointing out that I don’t know what the adopted electrical code is in eurobond’s jurisdiction, and I doubt others here know, either, unless they know where he lives. Yes, it’s likely the NEC, but we don’t know what edition, nor do we know whether the adopting agency modified it in any way by amendment. Believe me, I’m intimately familiar with jurisdictions that are slow to update codes, and are heavy on the edits when they do.

So while the chances are good that the code citations mentioned are in full, unadulterated effect for his home, we can’t say that for certain, and advice based on uninformed assumptions can be problematic if acted on.

That’s one serious setup… WALL OF SOUND!!!

2 Likes

Haha thanks! When you turn down the lights, everything disappears. A tactile experience.

2 Likes

This kind of psychoacoustic smoothing is quite forgiving :wink: With it applied, my important curve below 200Hz looks rather flat except the strong 42 Hz dip. But I don’t complain, better a dip than a peak is my device :wink:

2 Likes

Nice curve :nerd_face:. A null is typically harder to cure than a peak even with DSP. I did asymmetric subwoofer placement to help out a null I had in my theatre room with miniDSP.

The reason why I chose that Psychoacoustic curve along sending with a 1/6 octave response, is that it is ‘supposed’ to be similar to our hearing ability. Going to try the ROON parametric right now. I’m dialing in a 4 dB dip into my 33 Hz peak.
So much fun!
Cheers

1 Like

Stunning! I love the Dyns! Wish I could hear this.

4 Likes

Thank you James! I actually cross compared a lesser model against a pair of Magico S5 mkII and was smitten by the Dyn’s sound. Lots of tone and musical engagement.

1 Like