System Photos!

@stevensegal - What is your DVD plugged into, your satellite, your TV and how does that power (assume wall?) affect your signal chain. I assume you have the AV section separate (physical) from the stereo section. This BD allows me a quick look at how you are setting up the whole system. Don’t know if the 80degree bold lines are conceptual of physical?

Conceptually, very cool having access to all sources using a remote.

Assume your router is wireless w/ LAN ports for devices?

You have a server connected Ethernet, then Ethernet to DEV (assume DAC/AMP) plus optical, coax, and phono input.

Within seconds I can understand your system and gather insight. This is the reason for the BD.

The AV stuff is plugged in to a $10 block screwed to the wall. No interest in AV, other than the price (cheap).

All the rest is correct. The ASUS acts as a router and provides a local network. If I use my server, the data is going direct wired into the Devialet ethernet input (as your Roon Nucleus can do), but if my kids or wife use the system with Spotify, it goes wirelessly as Spotify is built in. Other wireless Devialet options are Air (up to 24/192) and Airplay (up to 16/44).

Other toys are Amazon Fire stick, very handy as we watch films on Curzon Direct, French TV and Arte, and Chromecast TV as my kids like to stream video to the TV from their phones. These are usb devices and the $10 block has 4 usb power sockets to power them. I think this whole lot cost less than $100.

Some manufacturers look at the media systems people use and make sure their units can handle them. Others do not. Others make sure their units can be upgraded to handle new systems. I’m happy because this system can handle pretty much anything without having to touch it, mostly from mobile phones and the main satellite box remote control. Only the Amazon Fire needs its own remote control. Some audiophiles like pressing buttons. I don’t. It’s very old fashioned.

@stevensegal - because you have no interest in AV, does not mean the power used for the DVD, satellite, or TV, does not affect the DEV. Anything that plugs into the DEV has to be considered when thinking about power.

The two connections to my Devialet audio system that are not connect to a PS Audio regenerator are an optical cable for satellite audio and a coaxial cable for DVD sound. Light only travels in one direction and the DVD machine is switched off unless in use, which is hardly ever.
So audio and AV are electrically separated by virtue of a $10 distribution block with 4 x IEC and 4 x usb outputs.

With regard to vinyl, I’ve started ripping my vinyl. My previous Auralic streamer made use of the usb socket as a data input, but as my data input is now by the ethernet socket so the usb socket is free to use as an output for digitised vinyl using VinylStudio. So you could add a usb cable and laptop to the chart, but it’s for recording, not playing.

@stevensegal - Please make sure you understand, not a hater of vinyl… it’s all about sitting in your music room and really enjoying this amazing hobby. If vinyl is the ticket, go for it…

1 Like

My system today after yet another rearrangement and speaker placement tweaking. Two reasons for the change 1) reduce system from 7.1 to 5.1 in order to free up a pair of B&W matrix 805s for office use with my Sprout and 2) move cyclinder subs to front corners rather than immediately behind the couch seating position.

Gear:

• Pioneer PDP-6010 60” Plasma display
  • B&W Matrix 804 L/R, Matrix HTM center, DS6 THX surrounds
  • Dual SVS 2039-CS 12” subs driven by Crown XLS-1002 amp
  • Meridian 558 5x200W amp driving the B&Ws
  • Anthem MRX-300 as preamp surround processor
  • Sony DVP-S9000ES for physical media music
  • Sony BDP-S5100 for physical media movies
  • Squeezebox Duet Receiver for streaming music
  • Amazon FireTV for streaming movies
  • Motorola FiOS STB for TV
  • Fluance RT-81 for vinyl
  • PS Audio Power Plant Premier
  • PS Audio Juice Bar II
16 Likes

@drybeveridge730 - That was a great movie! Seen that many times…

1 Like

Yes, great movie for sure! Love the Hans Zimmer soundtrack, too. Really enjoyed the Kip Thorne behind the scenes book, The Science of Interstellar.

Why are you making excuses to rearrange? I thought that was what audiophiles thought weekends were invented for. Nice bit of green there.

1 Like

Correct, no excuses needed! :smiley: I’m always rethinking and plotting the next change / improvement / purchase, much to my wife’s dismay!

That’s the only recording that has shut down my stellar monoblocks running my woofers. (4 ohm loads) -Great recording but maybe too much room shaking base?
I upgraded from a P-5 to a P-10 and no problem since. LOL

1 Like

Steven you mentioned in one of your posts that you had a problem with springy floors upsetting your turntable. I have had the same issue in my old home and many of my customers had this problem as well. I found a little trick that reduced the wobble considerably. Slightly tilt the top of the cabinet forward and insert 2 blocks of wood that are about 4 - 5 mm more than the gap between the cabinet and the wall, then let it rest back on the blocks. May need help unless you have 4 arms. If it is a solid wall it is easier but if it is a stud wall with plaster you will need to put the blocks at the stud positions. May need to check T/T level. Should also stop the drink bottles clinking. Cheers - Tony!

Thanks, that’s a very interesting tip.

The unit is very heavy, took three people to carry int in the house, and that’s before loading it with hifi and booze. I can reduce the weight of the booze, but not the hifi. The cabinet has small feet and it would not be a good idea to put all the weight on the two front feet, less than an inch in diameter.

You could adopt the IKEA method and bolt the cabinet to the wall through a block. That would unfortunately damage the cabinet.

I solved the problem with a Townshend podium.

It works with my turntable as it weighs about 25kg (I got the model with the second lightest load range) and these things can be finely tuned for complete isolation.

Max Townshend reads PSA, I hope he doesn’t mind me saying I paid well under recommended retail. I also use his products under my speakers and his speaker cables are miraculous.

Max has a video on youtube showing how these work. I use the bars for my speakers.

Sounds good. BTW why are you still awake at 1:42am.

Yes - see above.

About to go do some work to some music.

1 Like

Steven, I do not have a turntable, but I do have a grandmother clock in the hall on a very springy floor, and was troubled by chimes from it whenever anyone walked past. I adopted the IKEA approach and bolted it to the wall behind. That cured the springy floor problem, but it is a very old wooden house, and now if you close the door next to it it gives a light chime. I suspect the isolation podia you recommend would be far too bulky for it :frowning:

They take up to about 250kg, but would look a bit stupid. You can ask Max Townshend at Bristol this weekend. Give Alan my regards.

Maggie 1.6 (with the following mods - Duelund 1.5ohm resistors for tweeters, replaced fuse with silver wire, cork/rubber vibration isolation feet with Sorbothane padding)

2x SVS SB1000 (out of frame)

VTL IT-85

PSA Directstream Sr

Matrix X-SPDIF v2

Mac Mini w/ Uptone LPS Kit

TASCAM CD200i CDP (modded)

Also in the mix:

12v Linear PS for Mac Mini

6v battery for Matrix

Isoacoustic stands for SVSs and AV2000

Custom cables throughout from G.A.S. (my friend’s small shop)

2x Schumann Wave generators

Monster AVS2000

Coming Soon:

• PS Audio PowerPlant P10 - saving funds now to purchase. The Monster fills a gap but its days are numbered.

• PureAudioProject Trio15. I heard the Voxativ model at DC AudioFest in November. Stunning. Given budgets, the TB line may be closer to reality for me. I’d love to audition a set in my home. They were among the top 3 systems I heard at the show.

14 Likes

What are the crystals and how did you decide placement?