Tannoy Speakers

Thanks, David, Elk
for your kind replies:)

1 Like

I just heard the Fyne F704s driven by Krell separates fed in turn by a Chord DAVE with an M-Scaler.

Amazingly live and real. Simply stunning.

Fyne F703s may well be my last new speaker system ever…

2 Likes

I have the Kensingtons driven with a First Watt J2 amp, two small REL subs, Pass XP30 pre, PSA DS SACD, DSII DAC and P20 regenerator. Plus analog setup. This is pretty much my be-all end-all setup. I listen mainly to classical, opera and jazz. As an active violinist, transparency was important in my setup. Oh and I have a single Stirling for my center for multichannel discs.

I can’t recommend the Tannoys enough. The clarity, balance and resolution are amazing. The mid range of vocals is absolutely buttery smooth. And they’re warm, yet relatively transparent. Easy to listen to. They are quite efficient, they don’t need a lot of power (as evidenced by my FW J2 amp). You might want to have a dedicated sub for good response at very low frequencies.

Of course a lot depends on your setup, your room and treatments. I chose the Kensingtons because there are less boxy, I like the profile since I have less room width than depth.

Also I found that Townshend isolation platforms made a huge difference to the clarity. That was immediately obvious. They’re expensive, but if you’re shelling out USD 20k and up what’s another 2-3k, right?

BTW the Kensingtons and up are quite different from the Chinese made XT lineup—I’m not sure that the XT sounds like traditional Tannoys even though they are advertised as such. (I had some XT 8Fs for a while.)

Best of luck. I doubt you’ll go wrong if you end up with Tannoys.

1 Like

I have a pair of Tannoy Gold 8 actives on my desktop setup, I originally bought these as a temp solution until I find something more permanent and “higher priced” so I and feel more snobby about my setups, almost two years later however, I’m still running these.

Compare to my primary system (Focal Kanta 2s + some PS audio and Mcintosh gear) they can’t match that resolution and stage projection, it’s slightly darker in tonal presentation, other than that, I can’t really fault them for the price.