Texas Talkin'

1. AS WELCOME AS A SKUNK AT A LAWN PARTY.
    Self-explanatory

2. TIGHTER THAN BARK ON A TREE.
    Not very generous

3. BIG HAT, NO CATTLE.
    All talk and no action

4. WE’VE HOWDIED BUT WE AIN’T SHOOK YET.
    We’ve made a brief acquaintance but have not been formally introduced.

5. HE THINKS THE SUN CAME UP JUST TO HEAR HIM CROW.
    He has a pretty high opinion of himself.

6. IT’S SO DRY THE TREES ARE BRIBIN’ THE DOGS.
    We really could use a little rain around here.

7. JUST BECAUSE A CHICKEN HAS WINGS DOESN’T MEAN IT CAN FLY.
    Appearances can be deceptive.

8. THIS AIN’T MY FIRST RODEO.
    I’ve been around awhile.

9. HE LOOKS LIKE THE DOG’S BEEN KEEPIN’ HIM UNDER THE PORCH.
    Not the most handsome of men.

10. THEY ATE SUPPER BEFORE THEY SAID GRACE.
    Living in sin.

11. WE’RE IN TALL COTTON.
    Things are going well

12. AS FULL OF WIND AS A CORN-EATIN’ HORSE.
    Rather prone to boasting.

13. YOU CAN PUT YOUR BOOTS IN THE OVEN BUT THAT DON’T MAKE THEM BISCUITS.
    You can say whatever you want about something, but it doesn’t change what it is.

Nice! Though it’s not the same sort of thing, I like how in Houston they say, “How’s yer Mom 'n’em?” (Family is well?)

And that in Manhattan the street with the same name is pronounced “Howston”.

For you Brits, some in Texas pronounce it much like “Euston” Station.

In Chicago we have Devon Avenue, which unlike the English town (sorta, “DEV-in”) is pronounced in what I like to think of as a movie gangster notion of classy, “de-VON”.

My favorite Texas/Boston joke is this one.

A Texan is walking around Boston and asks of a passerby “Where’s the Boston Public Library at?” The passerby lifts a finger and says “Here in Boston we don’t end our sentences with a preposition.” “Okay,” says the Texan, “where’s the Boston Public Library at, ASSHOLE.”

Kinda sums up the current political situation in this country ; )

…and - gotta ask - how many other Texas/Boston jokes you got?

That’s the one that’s fit to print! (I know a few more. . . my first wife lived in Boston a decade before she moved to Texas to join me in Austin in '90. . . so we came up with a few of our own).

I never think of Austin as part of Texas, it too cool. I know there is some slogan about Austin staying weird or something? Between the annual music festival and Austin City Limits, I think it is the only place in Texas that I would like to visit.

My friend lived there for a year or so, and said it was too hot.

I lived there 33 years, moving from Ohio when I was 25. I moved back to Ohio at 58.

When you leave it, you realize it DEFINITELY is part of Texas. It’s the only city in the state I could have lived in that long, it’s more cosmopolitan than others, but it’s definitely Texas! It’s not as hot as some other areas of Texas though.

My biggest complaint would be that the city became very expensive to live in over the decades, and very crowded. The city tripled in size the decades I lived there, and subjectively it seems the cost of living did as well.

1 Like

In the ‘70s we used to drive down to Ohio 1-2 times a year to go to what was then Earl Baltes’ Eldora Speedway. Tony Stewart owns it now. Saw some great racing, winged sprint cars. The days when Steve Kinser, Sammie Swindel, and Doug Wolfgang were the big names. I have a lot of fond memories at that place.

1 Like

SW Ohio. . I’ve never been there. I’m in the opposite corner, NE Ohio, out in the country far east of Cleveland. I used to hate it out here. . .lived twenty minutes away in a small town that still prides itself in “not moving forward with the times.” It’s sort of like a less pleasant Mayberry. I was the eldest son of the minister of the church on the town square. No fun. Now I live in wooded, hilly, sparsely housed neighborhood near the county seat, literally across the street from a huge state nature preserve and near a lake. What I would have hated as a teen and young adult, I love now as a retired man who loves peace and quiet.

When I returned four and a half years ago to Ohio to take care of my parents I was really afraid that the winters here would be unbearable. I find that I’m bearing them and enjoying them. . . though they last too long! At least it’s not too hot here!

Jeff & lonson - Been to Austin a couple of times, and a neighbor’s brother, who is a successful fine and commercial artist lived there many years.* They refer to it as “a blue dot in the middle of a red state”. Not unlike a lot of college towns - some of which are also state capitals, like Madison, right Jeff?

I lived in Ann Arbor, MI for many years during and after college, which is truly a White Liberal Intellectual Theme Park ; ). The next large-ish town west of it, Jackson, is allegedly a northern center of the Klan. America!

Went for a long drive around the country (10.5k miles) with my girlfriend back then. We thought, “Wow, the rest of the country’s REALLY not like Ann Arbor!” : )

*(lonson - If you ever went to the Mean Eyed Cat bar, he painted the portrait of Johnny Cash)

Plenty of redness within that blue dot, but yeah, it’s one of the biggest blue dots in the state. My family and I are like a tiny blue speck in the red region I find myself in now.

Beef, yeah pretty much Madison and Milwaukee. I don’t get it, it is not like our rural areas are wealthy. Mostly just kind of stupid.

1 Like
badbeef said

*(lonson - If you ever went to the Mean Eyed Cat bar, he painted the portrait of Johnny Cash)

Never went there (or heard of it) but then I’m not a drinker and after I gave up playing in bands at the end of the 'eighties I rarely went out to bars. Wish I’d seen that portrait though.

Texan at the bar was bragging about how BIG everything was in Texas. After an hour of how wonderful and big things were a man at the end of the bar interjected…” I’m from Alaska, and if you don’t shut up, will divide our state in two and Texas will be the third largest state!”

1 Like

There are 239 beans in every can of Boston beans. If you add one… you get too farty!

Boo!

:wink:

Our whole family used to live in New Braunfels Texas, I worked in Austin TX and came around a lot.
We drove from New Braunfels TX to Minneapolis MN which is about the as far as you can cross the U.S. from South to North and back.
We met only great people, anywhere. I also lived in a number of European countries where we reside right now.

Texans are as friendly and hospital people as you can find anywhere, I do miss Texas a lot.

“You may all go to h…, and I will go to Texas” citing Davey Crocket, who died together with a lot of brave settlers at the Alamo (San Antonio) under Siege of General Santa Anna fighting for the liberation (from Mexico), freedom of religion and fair tax payments (as farmers got sucked dry not only by the sun). All great rights which till today make the United States of America great.

The Texas National guard stuck out its neck in probably one of the most difficult peace keeping mission in the Balkan, a foreign region plagued by brutal hospitality amongst multiple civilian groups. Together with a lot of other brave people from nationalities all over the globe they managed.

I have nothing but respect for entire Texas. Whether it’s blue, red, black or white they are all living happily together down there and they love it as well as we do.

Round Rock, North of Austin, these Longhorns are majestic creatures, you’ve gotta see them life to appreciate how special they are. Like any region has it’s own special things.

Loved the Red Rock theatre in Colorado at dawn as well. And they have PS Audio.

Rudolf, that’s very true what you say about Texans. I lived in Minnesota my whole life and moved to Dallas, TX in 2010. (lived there 7 years before moving to my current home in Phoenix) I was a little unsure of what the people in Texas would be like, but I too found them very friendly and hospitable. I think that it’s true what they say about nice people being everywhere, you just have to be open to meeting them.

Lonson, a couple more for your list: “Well, bless your heart…” (I learned that one pretty quick) and " I was fixen’ to do that tomorrow".

1 Like

What’s the plural of Y’all?