The DMP experience

Maybe we will need a specific load developed for the purpose of exorcism!

Probably released when the first owner cracked open a DMP case.

1 Like

Iā€™m crying out loud. The pesky gremlins have arrived here. I inserted the mentioned SACD again, but nothing happened. O.k., I thought. Well, I tried to eject and the tray came out of the DMP. But the bloody tray was empty. What did 3.06 with my Bach? Gone ā€¦
Guys, which ghosts had you put in place with that update? Thatā€™s not very funny, honestly :wink:

1 Like

Hello Elk,
thanks for your reply. I totally agree with you, that those BIS recordings on SACD are very good stuff to do some checks. I like to combine that with some Sitar-Music. The overtone portion is very high. PCM Dacs very often show harshness and artifacts with that kind of material ā€¦
Best regards,
Frank

1 Like

ā€¦ sorry, itā€™s me again. Iā€™m using PSA DSD since Spring 2015 and PSA DMP since Q1/2017. I had installed all the updates available and: Never any problems.

ā€œMaybe we will need a specific load developed for the purpose of exorcism!ā€

How long will it take to write the code ?

Anyway, tentative diagnosis but, with my DMP sitting on 3 bibles, one front centre and one at each rear corner - in the shape of a crossā€¦ " Music personified"
Best upgrade ever.

3 Likes

Perhaps we all need to play a Police CD containing the track ā€˜Ghost in the Machineā€™?

2 Likes

" ā€¦ sorry, itā€™s me again. Iā€™m using PSA DSD since Spring 2015 and PSA DMP since Q1/2017. I had installed all the updates available and: Never any problems. "

No need to apologize to me Frank. I am really happy for you, and that both your incredibly musical PSA products (which I think are fantastic) have never given you any problemsā€¦ Hold on to that DMP because it is as rare as Tanzaniteā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

I have one questionā€¦ for displaying songtitles and covers is playlist a must. ??? Bought a new cd from a prog rock band called The pineapple Thief, a bit like Porcupine Tree, no titles and cover. But when I typed the songtitles in the playlist and loaded the cover up. The songtitles and cover appeared on the DMP screen. SD card will than have the information for the next time playing. No internetconnection with the playlist = No covers and songtitels??? When a new cd is played for the first time???

Ronald

Ronald,

Once youā€™ve successfully downloaded the cover and metadata to the SD card, the internet connection is no longer needed. The next time you load that disc, even if the DMP doesnā€™t have a connection, you should see the artwork and metadata displayed.

-Pb

1 Like

PB - not my experience, just had that issue two weeks ago. Internet out and cover art out.

I have seen that happen too! It makes no sense but the DMP must want to check the server before pulling up the art from the SD card.

It happened to me also. I lost power to router one time and was wondering why I wasnā€™t getting any cover art.
Once I repower the internet, the cover arts came right back. You can also see on the display of the DMP that there is no internet.

I think it makes sense. Playlists track the number of times a disc has been played, most recent etc. Also PS Audio are building an ā€˜in-houseā€™ library (I call it the ā€œHiveā€) based (partly?) on users playlists - youā€™ve probably seen an occasional flag when perusing your albums in Playlist ā€œdo you want to share this entry with PS Audio - ensure all data fields are completeā€.
Iā€™m not sure of the order the DMP gets the metadata and coverart. It could be this way;
1st looks at the disk itself, compares disc index# to SD card library. If index# file there uses SD info, and sends update to PS Audio/user Playlist.
If index# not on SD card, DMP attempts to copy coverart and metadata from disc - if available, updates SD card and copies all to user Playlist.
If coverart/metadata unavailable from disc then look-up disc index# at PS Audio and the 3rd party data-bases, if found copies to SD card & user Playlist.
If not found anywhere then display Track 1, Track 2 etc.
User can update Playlist manually after disc (index#) has been tagged in Playlist (but not filled with the data).

All good in theory. But time and time again, even after I manually uploaded all the disc information to the Playlist, it will get corrupted or lost at some point in the future, or be overwritten with something that is wrong, or whatever. You need a water-tight copy of your playlist on the SD card that works every time. Whatever happens at the PS end doesnā€™t really matter if you can easily lock-in the correct data on that SD. I donā€™t care about information stored at the PS end, how many times Iā€™ve played a disc, or when it was last played. Means nothing to me. However, corrupting stuff that Iā€™ve gone to the effort to get right is a problem.

2 Likes

@Brodric since the DMP doesnā€™t display art/metadata unless it can connect to the internet itā€™s a moot point how good the data is on the SD card.

Remind me. If it disconnects from the internet there is no access to any previously saved data on the SD card?

Thatā€™s exactly what I experienced a few weeks ago. Display working fine, then I had some work done and the DMP Internet connection was removed but DMP still had the up to date (for cover art etc) SD card installed. No graphics/track names. Reinstalled the internet connection and everything went back to normal.

If itā€™s designed to behave like that, well, that would just be silly. Maybe something got broken in v3.13 and this is unintended behavior.

The PWT used to pull from the SD card whether it was connected to the internet or not. the cover art operation worked faster and better in the PWT for sure. Barry has managed to get the DMP to perform pretty well though. Yes when connected to the internet I agree that it first looks to the server to see if there have been any changes in text or cover art and than updates if necessary but the lookup function should suspend when the internet is not connected one would think.