The DMP experience

Yep - a massive improvement: - 1% success rate is better than 100% failure :wink:

Iā€™ll wager to suggest Octoberā€™s build will likely finish us up, but thatā€™s just a guess.

My understanding is that datadiscg and USB navigation will be fully functional in the next release the first week of September.

1 Like

:grin::grin::pray:

Thank you. That would then represent more than a ā€œminor code updateā€. :partying_face:

3.06? No, that is a major upgrade as you have seen but not the final one. Expect another upgrade the first week of September and another, perhaps the final, a month later.

1 Like

Paul, will subsequent update(s) hike the sound performance even furtherā€¦? Because 2.08 and 3.06 certainly did. After I eventually got 3.06 to work.

Itā€™s funny you say that. For me, 2.06 was the best of the bunch. I guess it really is system dependent. I installed /uninstalled 3.06 multiple times to see if I preferred it with redbook since everyone else did. I did not. Go figure.

I had bad karma with 3.06 downloads from P S Audio but the beta files loaded effortlessly and they sound better as wellā€¦ Once again, I donā€™t why this should be, but it sure was the caseā€¦!

Wow that is freaky as for me 3.06 has done the best job of bringing up the cover art and text of all the firmware loads so far. Try going into settings and if cover art is enabled disable it and re- enable it. Maybe that will get it working for you. I have 41 pages on my playlist most of which were put there with my PWT. It seems now it is picking most of them up and if one does not come up I go to the playlist and change the image . I then eject and insert the CD and the corrected cover art comes up.

I find that after I play a number of CDā€™s than go to play it does show up as 24 bit 88khz. Power down the back panel switch wait 10 seconds and power up. You will now get DSD. It was playing the DSD layer but down sampling it. Something is up with the handshake to the DAC.

I hope the Sept. 1 update takes care of the DSD playback of the SACD layer.

Thank you very much. That seems to solve the cover art problem. Now only the SACD issue remains.

1 Like

Do you hear any differences between the native SACD layer and the 24 bit 88.2 kHz version? The 24/88 is a down-rez of the SACD layer, or is it an up-rez of the CD layer?

24 bit 88khz is a down convert of the SACD layer. It is what the DMP hands off to a non PS-Audio DAC when playing the SACD layer. I have never spent time listening to the SACD when it is down converted so I canā€™t comment on the sonic difference. I would expect the DSD would sound the most revealing when played as DSD though.

I agree with you. I auditioned the DMP with 2.06. I chose it based on this version. I tried 3.06 a couple of times and ended up going back to 2.06. I like it a lot better. Iā€™m disappointed I wonā€™t be getting the fully functional DMP with 2.06. I donā€™t listen to classical and jazz, so maybe Iā€™m missing something, but I donā€™t much like 3.06. BTW, all my gear is PSA. I just canā€™t hear the improvement. I wish I could.

You are right. I have listened to both and I found the DSD better than the down converted 24bit 88khz. Much more alive.

Fair enough.

Thereā€™s a good chance it will but I canā€™t say for certain until I try it. Fingers crossed. It certainly wonā€™t get worse.

As I had said the only difference between the beta files and the release files was the force loader number. Once that is used to instruct DMP to accept or not the code should be identical. Thatā€™s indeed a mystery.

1 Like

Thanks. If it wonā€™t be worse sounding then there is good chance it will be better because any change to code is either 'better or 'worse seldom the sound stays the same.