The importance of power cables

I feel sorry for those that has not discover what magic cables and cords can bring to their systems. It’s a whole new world. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

In other words, the last three feet of overpriced power cable (paraphrasing) can and do make a difference?

[Full disclosure: I am a bit of a PC agnostic, but I have migrated to a more or less full loom of PSA AC-12 PCs, with a couple of exceptions.]

Sunlight improved a lot SQ on my DAC since a few weeks I installed it, second step was the AQ Dragon HDMI cable from PST to DAC, thanks to members of this forum I discovered a new pleasant experience from CDs never heard before. But… but… three days ago I experimented the AQ Dragon HC power cord from wall to the P12 (therefor to the large part of the system fed to it). No dealer test, no blind test, I bought it only following @Paul suggestions (and believe me my wallet is very thin compared to other members here). Hey guys, what a difference! The big improvement I got, truly. Mainly with soundstage depth and breathe, a sense of rebirth of the general strength of the system, transients yes, bass yes but overall a sense of “live” from voices and guitars. More than sunlight firmware upgrade, hdmi cables, furutech booster or other tweaks. The only real change bigger than this was the Stellar Phono Preamp - and again the best improvement I’m hearing now is from vinyl rig after I introduced the AQ Dragon power cord in the chain.
Power cable matters, PS audio team thank you, members of the forum thank you. Just my experience, if useful to the debate.

4 Likes

This is impressive! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Thank you, and I can’t wait for the second AQ Dragon (it is still on the way now) cause I want to feed both my 2 Powerplants P12. I will report my thoughts soon on them.

4 Likes

One 2m long high current AQ Dragon cable would be almost the same price as Mola Mola Tambaqui which I am saving for :wink:

The cost of this passion will drive me crazy, my wife is patient… the bank not so much! After 2 years of pandemic we all have the right to live (and spend) meantime, above all, we must not forget to help who is going in needs with our money, our respect, our attention, our delicacy and our time. Today more than yesterday.

5 Likes

To all. I am NOT saying those who hear differences in any product (power cords or otherwise) are not hearing differences.

As I stated in my post, I AM in the camp that various products/changes DO make a perceived difference in sound, and have made many purchases (as well as DIY) over the years myself. In fact, I currently use DIY power cords that I made a few years back from Plenum wire (silver plated/teflon jacket) along with tinned copper braiding to shield the cord from emf/rf interference, and hospital grade NEMA plugs.

What I am saying is that when a person “hears” something, it is difficult, if not impossible, to parse what is being “heard” versus what the brain is “interpreting.”

I am currently on a kick to see if modified Polyoxypropylene-Polyoxyethylene Block Polymers (commercial example being Stabilant 22) makes a measurable difference. I personally hear a difference, but many say there is no difference, but I can’t be sure how much of what I am hearing (personally) is psychoacoustic phenomenon.

1 Like

There are members of this forum whom I highly appreciate and respect who use DIY power cables. They select cable material and terminations to their taste and budget, and are extremely happy with the results. The thing about this hobby, it that while it is very individualistic, you could still find people who share thoughts, views, and philosophy.

Insulation does affect sound quality :slightly_smiling_face: And measurements are a good indicator, but the final arbiter is whether you hear a difference, and if in doubt, share a moment with somebody who can reconfirm what you’re experiencing.

Reviewers are experienced at this.

1 Like

Wait for three more weeks, AQ cables need a lot of time to break in. The best is yet to come!

1 Like

I read this comment and others before that you made and was trying to think of a non-confrontational way of saying that you were positing a false dichotomy. Kind of like the mind/body dichotomy.

That hearing and interpreting are one and the same thing, But the more I think about it the more what you’re saying makes sense to me.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Room Treatments

I don’t know if your in the minority, but you certainly seem to be in the wrong place.
It’s like going on a wine forum and touting Diet Pepsi.
What
Ever

5 Likes

Was this with or without the lime?

3 Likes

What’s the name of that fellow who only measures devices, but never really listens to them? He’s really stuck on numbers.

I went to the symphony a few years back and they had the Youth Philharmonic open for them. By all accounts you’d assume that the Symphony would be far better. Maybe the Conductor or the Symphony was just having a bad day, but the Teenagers crushed them. Everyone around us agreed. It was all the buzz during the second intermission.

My point is numbers or logic aren’t always the final answers we hope them to be.

5 Likes

Julian HIrsch, you did not specify current or otherwise.

1 Like

I forgot about Hirsch. He wasn’t who I was thinking about, but a good example of what I was after. I meant current. But, Hirsch will do.

1 Like

In defense of Julian Hirsch (I don’t believe I’m saying this) measurements were not the be all and end all for him. He did listen to whatever was tested at Stereo Review and he would opine on it good, bad or indifferent.

1 Like

And let’s not forget that even though there was room to disagree with him, he was a decent writer.

2 Likes

He tried I think. Way back when I bought the Polk SDA-2B speakers based on his positive review and I never regretted it. Only let them go a decade later for ML Aerius.

2 Likes