TICKS AND POPS FIX PROJECT

Paul I sent you emails, with 2.43 with pops and 2.2.0 without pops on the 30th. In the email are copies is all the version information CPLD #'s etc… I will send the email again

@vhiner1 - I’ve got four or five SD cards, and have some that will not format with a computer, but they will format if I put them in my camera and get it to erase all data and format the card. Odd, I know, but it has worked a couple of times and the PWD will then read them.

@gocubs42 Thanks. I got them the first time and sent to the team. I was hoping mgm would do the same.

David said: . . . they will format if I put them in my camera and get it to erase all data and format the card.

Excellent idea.

vhiner1 said: I am using 2.0.2. I am unwilling to install 2.4.3 because I cannot format an SD card that will function with my unit . . .

Completely understandable.

One safe option is to create a folder on the card and move all of the 2.0.2 files to the folder, then put 2.4.3 on the root directory.

It will be very easy to revert back to 2.0.2 again if you would like.

@admin

Here are my findings…

Bridge Version 0.2.13c

DAC Unit ID 044536

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boot loader 1.11

CPLD 1.07

FLAC 16/44 -> FLAC 24/192 ok

FLAC 16/44 -> FLAC 24/96 ok

FLAC 16/44 -> FLAC 16/44 ok

FLAC 24/96 -> FLAC 24/192 tuning noise

FLAC 24/96 -> FLAC 16/44 ok

FLAC 24/96 -> FLAC 24/96 ok

FLAC 24/192 -> FLAC 16/44 ok

FLAC 24/192 -> FLAC 24/96 tuning noise

FLAC 24/192 -> FLAC 24/192 ok

SRC

NativeX -> 44.1 ok (no pop)

Native -> NativeX improved SQ (more focused and detailed sound)

Filters (1-5, Auto)

Relay clicks and noticable change in SQ

Boot loader 1.11

CPLD 1.09

FLAC 16/44 -> FLAC 16/44 ok

FLAC 16/44 -> FLAC 24/96 pop heard after relay click

FLAC 16/44 -> FLAC 24/192 pop heard after relay click

FLAC 24/96 -> FLAC 16/44 pop heard after relay click

FLAC 24/96 -> FLAC 24/192 pop heard after relay click

FLAC 24/96 -> FLAC 24/96 ok

FLAC 24/192 -> FLAC 16/44 pop heard after relay click

FLAC 24/192 -> FLAC 24/96 pop heard after relay click

FLAC 24/192 -> FLAC 24/192 ok

SRC

NativeX -> 44.1 pop

Native -> NativeX no change in SQ? (NativeX disabled to mask tuning noises? :slight_smile:

Filters (1-5, Auto)

No relay clicks, no change in SQ?

All above in NativeX using Bridge

What I see in the responses, is that those of you with preamps do not here noises.

Dave continues:

1) Where do you have the volume set for the DAC? If it is at 100, would you please lower it to 50 and then raise the gain of the preamp to normal listening volume and see if pops become evident?

~ Typically at 100. I tried lowering the volume to 35 and turning the preamp up a good deal. I can now just barely here a tiny click/pop on resolution changes, both up and down.

3) As an experiment, can you remove the preamp, run the PWD directly into the amp, and see if you hear pops?

~ Same as above; minute click/pop through the speakers.

1/ DAC Unit ID:032589

2/ bridge

3/ bridge 0.2.14b

4/ 2.4.3

5/ Ethernet

6/ NO

7/ Pops during sample rate change

8/ All previous versions i believe = 2.0.2 , 2.0.8

9/ NO

10/ only the POP during SR change

11/ does not matter

12/ I have tested that this issue very much depends on the gain of amplifying system. Let me explain:

When using preamp and MID/LOW gain on mono blocks I cannot hear any pops = all fine.

When using preamd and HIGH gain on mono blocks I can hear pops during SR change.

When not using preamp i can hear pops during SR change when I have MID/HIGH gain set on mono blocks.

My conclusion: the pops are always there for my unit and are not PWD volume setting dependant = are always of the same amplitude. When having my amplifying system set to HIGH gain = using PWD with listening volume levels around 20 I can clearly hear the pops. Setting my system to lower gain (so listening volume level on PWD = 100) the pops are quieter or not possible to be heard from normal listening distance.

I had an opportunity to listen to a newer PWD in my system today.

The newer PWD had serial number D0-2C047825. Firmware was 2.4.3

With this PWD in my system I experienced very rare pops/clicks. Swapping back to my usual PWD, the usual pops/clicks returned.

To me, this suggests a problem with the older analogue boards and newer firmware as the cause for the clicks/pops.

I have some bad new from here!!!

after discovering that downgrading to firmware 2.2.0 i have no clicks at all, and i was very happy for that…i decided to install Jriver media center (following all the settings recommended) and apparently the quality was great i have to admit it…

But then after a couple oh hours of intense listening switching back and forth from HD-SD tracks, now i hear AGAIN THESE DAMM CLICKS after switching to high resolution tracks and always only on Native and Native x !!!

Damm i tried everything from resetting the router, to unistall Jriver, re-install the dac firmware, re-use EMM, remove cables and even resetting the bridge during firmware upgrade!!!

I CAN’T BELEIVE THAT…REALLY I AM VERY UPSET!!!

SOMETIME I AM THINKING ABOUT ASKING MY MONEY BACK!!!

F.

@FABIO060673 It sounds like you are always in the Bridge mode when this happens. Does it happen at all with other inputs? Is there anything in common with the recordings or the file types when this happens? I am trying to look for a pattern here.

Dear Paul i use only the bridge mode.

I do not have a way to try the other inputs…

However i tell you what i have done: get back to firmware 2.0.2 no sounds at all…

Then i loaded the 2.1.0 and cpld passed from 1.09 to 1.05.

I am here listening to hd-sd tracks and voilá… No Pops and please tells me if IT’s normal i don’t hear no relays clicks when changing resolution tracks…like 2.2.0 or 2.4.3.

Now i don’t know if load the 2.2.0 ( below 1.09 version) or not…what u suggest??

Thanks

F. [-O<

Attached files

I don’t think it’s normal to not hear the relays click on sample rate changes. Something’s weird, and we’ve got too many versions going on here.

What’s the serial number of your unit? It’s a MarkII, right?

I will have to forward this info to the engineering team on Monday to see if there are any clues here.

Sorry this is not working right. If you simply put on 2.4.3, reset the unit, then it doesn’t work for you at all?

Yes MK2…

No, if i load 2.4.3 i can hear relay clicks but also pops!!!

Only on NATIVE and NATIVE X when passing from SD to HD tracks.

Thx

F.

I’m compiling some notes for ticks/pops and oddess, but along the way I noticed that my CPLD number changes depending on the FW.

Shouldn’t that be a static number?

$ard

@admin

My S/N is DAC Unit ID:059746

Thx

Ok here’s my complete list. Sorry for the delay, had bronchitis last couple weeks and just couldn’t get the energy up.

1/ PWD serial B3-0D020460, MKI unit upgraded to MKII

2/ Has Bridge

3/ bridge FW 0.2.14f

4/ PWD FW see below

5/ Ethernet only CAT6 cables in my custom self-built server/network.

6/ Cary SPL 05 pre amp, Cardas Golden Ref XLR interconnects throughout.

Pass x350.5, Dynaudio Focus 360. Kimber 8TC speaker, spades and tinned. Dedicated Audio only 20A fuse, heavy gauge copper wire.

7/8/10 I have heard:

2.0.2 NativeX pops on resolution changes 44 <–> 96

Native infrequent pops on resolution changes mostly 44 --> 96

CPLD version listed as 1.04

2.2.0 Note: Can’t install either version off PS Support page. Have another version that works fine though

NativeX no pops yet

Native intermittent pops 44 <–> 96, softer intensity

CPLD version listed as 1.05

2.4.1 NativeX pops on resolution changes 44 <–> 96

tuning noises 44 --> 96. They’re back!

Native pops on resolution changes 44 <–> 96

no tuning noises

Native to NativeX on a 96kHz track gives tuning noises

Power off rear switch gives pop

CPLD is version 1.09

2.4.3 NativeX pops on resolution changes 44 <–> 96. Worse than other FW

Native pops on resolution changes 44 <–> 96. Worse than other FW

Pops when unit is powered off, front panel (strong) and back panel buttons (light)

CPLD is version 1.09

9/ No problems while playing ANY resolution

12/ list anything else you feel is helpful.

Also had severe issues updating FW, first time I updated to 2.4.3 the unit got severely corrupted, SQ took a giant dive. Only 2.4.3 SQ affected, and took 20+ FW reinstalls before it corrected.

Using the PS FW page, those 2.2.0 versions won’t install at all on my DAC, relying on a version from a forum member. You guys to the right ones up?

Pops independent of DAC volume

Pops + tuning noises are much less intense with a preamp.

What is up with the CPLD version changing? Shouldn’t that be a constant number?

After a full reset of the DAC, 12 hours unplugged and disconnected, I reinstalled to 2.2.0, re-entered the fixed IP info. Amusingly, while the DAC was connected to the network, playing music etc… it still read as disconnected on the front panel. Apparently my DAC can be confused… :slight_smile: It believes it is connected now…

Mentioned before, but I really don’t like 2.4.3 SQ, lean, with areas of upper frequency harshness that are fatiguing.

@ admin also cc’d this to Alex in service.

Cheers,

$ard

I have the same problem here: a laud pop that sounds like opening a soda can :open_mouth: between HD tracks some times and clicks when playing 16bit track at the very end of some tracks. It usually starts after some time of listening. I’m using only the bridge with a Synology NAS. All this in NativX don’t know if it happen in other setting( I love the sound of NativX). PS Audio please fix this is very annoying.

Bridge Version:0.2.14a

DAC Version Mark II:2.4.3

DAC Unit ID:049749

CPLD:1.09

USB:1.03

Flash:SST39VB3201

LCD:Solomon

S/N

PWD-D0-2E049749

PWB-A1-2E1178

Update:

I found this, last night I was striming the same files in my sony blue ray and guess what, the same pop of noise at the last second of each track, this are 24bit 44khz rips from HDCD’s riped with dbpoweramp. But if play 24bit/96 or 24/176 files from HDTracks there is no pop noise. After some testing in the PWD the same pop noise with the 24/44 files and I only got a very short click at the end of a 24/176 and the next track was one of this 24/44 files from HDCD’s.

Don’t have 24/44 file from HDtracks to compare.

Tested the 24/44 files in my pc with foobar2000: no pop or any noise

Tested the 24/44 files with a Denon DNP-720AE: no pop or any noise

Tested the 24/44 files in my pc with VLC: same pop noise as sony or PWD

So whatever is affecting the PWD with this particular files is affecting my sony blue ray and VLC on my PC.

This sony BD is connected to my Denon AVP-A1HDCI via HDMI.

The PWD is connected to the same Denon but to the analog input’s and all digital processing is off when using it (direct analog from input to output).

The pop is longer in the sony about a full second and it is short in the PWD about a fraction of a second. It is like a burst of white noise.

This files are ripped to wave and wounder if I rip them to FLAC if the same will happen.

So, I did it, converted some af this wav files 24/44 to flac 24/44 using fre:ac. Played from my nas using minimserver transcoding to wav in the nas: no more pop noise, only a short click some times at the end or beginning of some tracks, not all of the time. This is with the PWD. With the Sony no pop noise no clicks this time.

On the other 16/44 files clicks I reported here, today they show up some times in PWD and mostly in the right channel. And at the end, beginning or at any time in some tracks.

I think we may have made some good progress although, as you know, it’s tough because we’re not all seeing/hearing the same ticks and pops.

Bob (our chief engineer) has made some good progress and we will release some Beta test code to the beta testers this week.

Fingers crossed this solves it or gets us closer.

@ fabio060673

to avoid getting upset, have JRMC stream all music files 24/96 or 24/192 what ever your highest bit rate is. It seems changing bit rates causes the pops.

Give that ago and report back, I only have pops when changing bit rates

Paul McGowan said: Bob (our chief engineer) has made some good progress and we will release some Beta test code to the beta testers this week.

Wonderful news, Paul.