Tony Bennett RIP

Age 96

Edit…Just noticed on Article thread after I began this topic

9 Likes

He was a national treasure.

7 Likes

I guess this was kind of expected, given his age and health, but it’s still a shock. He’s one of those artists I thought would live forever. What a shame!

4 Likes

His nineties have been tough for him (and/or his family) so that alzheimer’s nightmare is over. What a musical mind, what a voice, what a painter! He will be missed. RIP Tony.

9 Likes

I just heard about Tony’s passing listening to WFMT while pounding on my laptop. Stopped what I was doing for a moment of silence. He represents an era of artistry and showmanship we’ll never see again. His generation was … remarkable.

1 Like

I have been listening to him for 5 decades! RIP Tony!

in his last concert with Lady Gaga, he could barely speak…but, he could sing

7 Likes

Classic Tony Bennett, may he rest in peace with Frank, Dean, Sammy, and the Rat Pack.

8 Likes

For me, he was one of the greatest of them all. I saw him three times over a thirty year span. Each show was a joy. So long, old pal. :cry:

2 Likes

I’m so glad I got to see him live in concert a few years ago.

3 Likes

CBS rebroadcast that concert last night. I love Tony Bennett, so I tried to watch, but when Lada Gaga launched into her third song without any sign of Tony on stage, I had to quit. I was surprised how little I cared for her steamroller rendition of standards (no room for anything like “interpretation”), and her on-stage movements during the songs seemed awkwardly spasmodic to me (they reminded me a bit of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine tried to dance). My wife and I agreed our time would be better spent catching up on Jeopardy episodes we’d missed while away last week. I’ll honor Tony in my own way over the next few days.

1 Like