Aging Musicians Still with Us

Not fully accurate since a short time ago . . .

I imagine this is quite sobering for many Boomers.

6 Likes

Keith Richards, 79 (seems older, right?)

5 Likes

Neil Young 77 years young!
Jackson Browne 74
Brian May 75
Roger Taylor 73
Billy Gibbons 73
Joni Mitchell 79
Brian Johnson 75
Ted Nudgent 74
Sammy Hagar 75
Steve Winwood 74
Mick Fleetwood 75
John McVie 77
Lindsay Buckingham 73
Hans Theessink 74
Van.Morrison 77
Gordon Lightfoot 84
Allan Taylor 77
Ry Cooder 75

I must be bored. I’ll go to bed now.

6 Likes

I almost forgot Buddy Guy 86! I just saw him on the news wrapping up his monthly stint at his club Blues Legends in Chicago! God bless him!

4 Likes

Celine Dion didn’t make the list :wink:

2 Likes

She’s 54 but you’re not wrong.

1 Like

Interesting medical study (how old one can get with alc & drugs) :wink:

Wow, at 72 I’m one of The Aging. A tough reality.
BUT–I just lifted a 100 pound amplifier out of it’s box and then onto it’s shelf.
I need a nap.

8 Likes

Marshall Allen 99! And still fronting the Arkestra
George Clinton 81
John Cale 80
Bryan Ferry 77
Patti Smith 76
Robert Fripp 76
Wayne Kramer 74
Brian Eno 74
Tom Verlaine 73
Bootsy Collins 71
Ryuichi Sakamoto 71
Daniel Lanois 71

2 Likes

You may be onto something. Swapping gear as exercise. Audiophilia - good for body and soul.

1 Like

Wow, no mention of the legend?!..

Phil Collins - About to be 72 on Jan 30th.

Also…

Sting (The Police) - 71
David Byrne (Talking Heads) - 70
Annie Lennox (Eurythmics) - 68
Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys) - 68
Bernard Sumner (New Order) - 67
Billy Idol - 67
Siouxsie Sioux (Siouxsie and the Banshees) - 65
Peter Murphy (Bauhaus) - 65
Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran) - 64
Robert Smith (The Cure) - 63
Andy McCluskey (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) - 63
Jim Kerr (Simple Minds) - 63
Morten Harket (A-ha) - 63
Morrissey (The Smiths) - 63
Bono (U2) - 62
Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet) - 62
Roland Orzabal (Tears for Fears) - 61
Boy George (Culture Club) - 61
Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode) - 60

I didn’t list anyone in their 60’s. 60 is like the new forty. :wink:

7 Likes

Smokey Robinson is 82 but I do worry about his cognitive abilities simply because he has a new album coming out with this title (!!!???!!!)

Well if you noticed, the first three are in their 70’s. Besides, these are the ones I grew up mainly listening to, including most of the ones in your list, plus many many others, so…

It doesn’t matter. What DOES matter is that all of the good talent is getting up there in the years, and before you know it they’re all going to be gone. We’re going to be left with nothing but the current mainstream trash that’s on the radio these days.

Luckily, I don’t listen to the radio at all except for the brief moments at work when someone has something playing in the background. I try to make my visits brief when they have that garbage playing.

Well that’s comforting for this 60 something to hear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right a lot of talented folks listed, some still making great music, some not so much anymore…. But there is tons of amazing music being made by incredibly talented contemporary artists. What genres are you into? I’m sure you can find great stuff….

And you’re not wrong about mainstream rock radio. I too avoid it at all costs. I’ve been a listener to WFMU for 20+ years. One of the last true Freeform commercial free radio stations. Their stream is available on Roon or at WFMU.org. it’s been an endless source of new and new to me music. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

2 Likes

As far as I know Marshall Allen is still with us at at 98 years young. Marshall continues to perform with the Sun Ra Arkestra.

1 Like

You can take a look at the list I created above and tell the kind of “modern” music I like. Of course, that’s just a fraction of them.

Don’t get me wrong, I do listen to new music as well, but more or less from “indie” type bands. Most of them have talent and creativity. They don’t sound just like the next person. Though some of them can be way out there as well.

I’ll add tenor man extraordinaire Sonny Rollins at 92 years young. Sonny discontinued live performances in 2012, and saxophone playing altogether in 2014. Time to spin Saxophone Colossus.

6 Likes

How about conductors and composers?

Riccardo Muti - 81 and going strong at the helm of the CSO
John Williams - 90 with too many awards, honors and terrific film scores to list

3 Likes