Torreys Beta Testers Wanted. Apply within.

same here

Ted Smith said The bug is that the channels are correct for PCM and they are apparently backwards for DSD. I knew that we tested this earlier and things were correct, but as it turns out a newer version of the XMOS (USB processor) code swapped the DSD channels even tho they were in DoP !... We'll probably be able to fix this one without affecting sound quality at all.

There are some other bugs for you all to notice too :slight_smile:

Is there a point in continue doing the beta test before the channel reversal is fixed, or is it just to physically reverse the interconnect cables to the amp?

For some reason I can’t get ahold of anyone about the code

Frode said

Is there a point in continue doing the beta test before the channel reversal is fixed, or is it just to physically reverse the interconnect cables to the amp?

i’d more than happy to test pcm only or reverse channels for dsd, if only I could get my hands on the firmware

Frode said
Ted Smith said The bug is that the channels are correct for PCM and they are apparently backwards for DSD. I knew that we tested this earlier and things were correct, but as it turns out a newer version of the XMOS (USB processor) code swapped the DSD channels even tho they were in DoP !... We'll probably be able to fix this one without affecting sound quality at all.

There are some other bugs for you all to notice too :slight_smile:

I know that that’s not the only problem and I don’t know how quickly it will get fixed. Since the bug isn’t in the FPGA the fix for it probably won’t cause a huge change in how the release will sound, so IMO it’s important to keep listening and looking for bugs…

JimSatala77 said For some reason I can't get ahold of anyone about the code
Well Paul doesn't monitor his mail 24/7 :) Yesterday he started posting about now, but it varies a little.

Email sent!!! Thanks

Got it. Installed it. Tried to set Bridge as input with no success.

Reverted to Yale. I hadn’t realized that there is no Bridge support included.

Couldn’t resist - re-installed Torries. This time something apparently installed different, because the Bridge II is now available.

Started Tidal on Bubble - a random Brubek live track - HOLY SMOKE! We’re talking LIVE right here Right Now! Bowed bass sounds totally believable, audience sounds and applause are recessed way back and around the musicians - sounds like an opera house…

So far, one random track - Wow!

@EldRick Could you be a little more specific about what went wrong when selecting Bridge? AFAIK the bridge is supported just fine. If the Bridge screen didn’t show up, that’s one problem, if it did show up and there was no sound that’s another problem. If the bridge never showed up on your control point that’s another… Don’t get the wrong idea, I don’t know anything in particular about the bridge, but some more details for Dennis could be helpful.

MrDerrick said I forgot to mention that after Torreys loads, the DS is muted, not a big deal, but not the same as Yale Final.
I also experienced this little quirk.
Ted Smith said If any of you get the no audio after upgrade problem could you try another input before you reboot and see if another input works or not and whether selecting another input and then selecting back to your first input works? Thanks.
no it keeps dropping out on me..sounds fantastic when it is working though

so I have it working after several reboots and it is very clean on the low end and the cymbals are alot more crisp and realistic…using the sonoma one downloads you can hear a major difference and now I can’t tell if its pcm or dsd…I guess thats a good thing

@JimSatala77 If it only fails with USB as the input that would be a valuable piece of information. By “keeps dropping out”, do you mean only just after an upgrade, after a reboot, or at random after the system appears to be working fine? Thanks.

[Edit] Oops I didn’t see your 2nd post.

it was after listening to a song for about 1 min i tried to switch to another song and it just had no sound output , it showed 96k on the display and was ticking off the time…I was using the bridge at that moment…i switched to tos and no sound…so i rebooted and now its working fine with tos

I’ve only had Torreys installed for about three hours, so this is all quite initial.

On Initialization the screen progress counter only advances a small amount before it goes to the last Input screen which is introduced in a red (inactive) status.

Sound:

• Slightly louder and more dynamic
  • High hat is sharper/clearer when struck and both it and cymbals are more metallic in a good way – upper treble is more pronounced
  • Nicely 3D sound stage, perhaps a little more so than Yale
Problems
  • Couldn’t get the Bridge to work with either JR21 or Foobar2000
  • Both applications “see” the DS DAC and tracks progress but no sound. Likewise, the DAC “sees” the track being played and it progresses, the correct sampling rate is displayed, etc.
  • After the Bridge failure neither the coax or TOSLink inputs would work and I had to reboot the DAC before it would work again
Haven’t tried USB input as yet so that’s still unknown territory.

recommend listening to fleetwood mac world turning [intro] It crawls out of the speakers and into the room

For those having issues with the Bridge, I have a Bridge II and it works fine with JRiver and JRemote. The one thing I noticed is after the initial Torreys load, when I selected the BII as the input, the little network icon was red (I’m not sure if that is muted or inactive). In any case, I had to click on the red icon, which then turned to green and I was able to use the BII for the rest of the evening for my testing. No drop outs or any other issues.

Karl

JimSatala77 said so I have it working after several reboots and it is very clean on the low end and the cymbals are alot more crisp and realistic..using the sonoma one downloads you can hear a major difference and now I can't tell if its pcm or dsd..I guess thats a good thing
I often find that the better the equipment, the smaller the difference between Redbook, and high resolution PCM/DSD. While perhaps counter-intuitive, it still makes sense to me.

So far, I find Torreys more transparent, especially in its rendition of ambient information and note decay. Imaging locks in a bit stronger as well.

Sound is good. But Bridge 2 cannot recognize DSD and no sound and then I need reboot it again

I think I screwed up the install the first time. It seemed to be taking far too long with blank screen and blinking blue light, so I pulled it.

When I restarted, the Bridge didn’t show on the on-screen list. I re-installed Yale to successful completion with Bridge showing, restarted etc., and then re-installed Torries to completion.

Now the Bridge II is there, and sound is strikingly improved - more dynamic, more 3D. Incredible - I didn’t think an upgrade from Yale could be this much better - Thanks!