UPDATE: Wyred For Sound DAC2 DSDse & PS Audio PWD2

@stereophilus

Yes sorry I have been so busy as of late. I am heading to the office soon to tweek things an d I will do a comparison . But you are correct some spidif,s are very good . This was the premise of the Audiophilleo AP1/PP. I have this too to play with.

Al

@stereophilus Just for you, we did everything USB. Same results perhaps even a greater gap between the PWDII & the W4S DSDse. The PWDII was far superior despite a great deal of JRiver tweaking for the DSDse.

All this makes it even more frustrating that such a worthy product as the PWDII is that there is an endless series of glitches, no DSD, and of course the gap-less issue which is not a great problem for me.

However, the top removal system is completely rediculous. God help you if those nuts come loose - and they do.

Not to rub it , but you should here how good it sounds with the off ramp. The change is startling or as Paul would say jaw dropping . As for dsd there are plenty of people with ultra hi end systems with dacs that do not play dsd. They play ISO,s as I do with jriver on the fly conversion . Doesn’t j river do gapless ? So relax

Enjoy the dac you have is really good especially for the money. Not knocking it but the transport is a let down as is the bridge. But if you invest about 2400.00 in An offramp . It’s just fantastic.

Al

@ALRAINBOW Are you posting this for me? If so, what does it have to do with topic?

Sorry I mistook the topic.

Al

@stereophilus Just for you, we did everything USB. Same results perhaps even a greater gap between the PWDII & the W4S DSDse. The PWDII was far superior despite a great deal of JRiver tweaking for the DSDse.

All this makes it even more frustrating that such a worthy product as the PWDII is that there is an endless series of glitches, no DSD, and of course the gap-less issue which is not a great problem for me.

However, the top removal system is completely rediculous. God help you if those nuts come loose - and they do.

Just for me? Aw shucks :"> thanks Chris!

I too tried to beat the PWD II in my quest for better volume attenuation. My conclusion; I need a preamp, not a DAC with analog volume control. Frankly, I can live with the PWD II as is, glitches, gapless and all.

@stereophilus Your set up will be same as mine. PWD direct to amps really sucked. Through the CJ ACT2 Series 2 was very analogue.

Yea, the glitches and gapless are no big deal with me either. However, the lack of DSD is and I am not speaking to any conversion process using JRiver.

Also, the top removal process…whose Acid Trip was that based upon?

@birddogthecat I wouldn’t go quite as far as “really sucked” without a preamp. With a good preamp the improvements were in naturalness of sound, delicacy and ease. There were no negatives. I can live without a preamp, but it is now the clear next step for my system.

I agree on the lid. Very fiddly. There are some who like it though.

I like the lid , it did through me for loop at first when I needed to change my blown fuse. But I just googled it and it was pie from there. Beyond this and relating to you preamp comment. As I did my own test and had a different outcome. There for I would say it’s system synergy and this is why Paul feels it helps in room one but not 2. So for me it had little effect. Now my application was with a passive preamp , only volume control function so maybe my application does not apply in this.

Al

True Al, synergy is important, but we’ll leave that for another thread. I’ll post some more on my impressions later. Suffice to say we are mutually off topic now.

Yes sir .

@ALRAINBOW See how much you like it when one of the nuts breaks off. Do you enjoy trying to replace the silver spring clips? How about banging your head against the wall? Is that fun as well?

But @stereophilus is correct. All of this belongs somewhere else. ;))

stereophilus said: I wouldn't go quite as far as "really sucked" without a preamp.

OK. Moderation. How about thin and digital? Better?

:((
stereophilus said: I agree on the lid. Very fiddly. There are some who like it though.

I am bemused in a Rube Goldberg form over function sort of way.

I have removed it only once however. And do not particularly want to again.

birddogthecat said: How about thin and digital? Better?

Yes. Slightly less "Waffles!"

@elk Unfortunately, I must remove the lid to replace fuses in both the PWD & PWT. One small trick I learned from someone here in the Forum really makes lid removal a bit easier:

Substitute Pan Head Stainless Steel screws for those all-threads. The Pan Head screws provide more stability and control. The Stainless Steel does not bend the way the all-threads tend to do. I believe the thread is 4-40 and the length about 3".

Good suggestion. This would be an improvement.

I hate to admit it, but one of the reasons I have not tried upgraded fuses in these units is the time and bother it takes to swap them.

Yes I understand. Your point but calm down man. The first time I opened it

It took me about 30 mins so I did not break it. But there is plenty of info just google it.

And screws or just a punch is fine to push it out. But rotating the pressure is key so it does not lock up.

As with anything mechanical patience and a better understanding wins over anger and ignorance.

Sorry for the off topic. I know it’s rude and I’m working on better forum manners as well.

~X(

Al

Hi,

For the Tube fans, here is the Lampizator equivalent of the Offramp.

This is the Lampizator USB Transport. Which is really not a transport at all but a tubed USB to SPIDF or AES/EBU XLR converter. Phttp://lampizator.eu/shop/viewitem.php?productid=145.

The difference between this post and the one Birddog posted below is a Squeezebox Duet is disassembled and the “brain” is transplanted from the Duet and incorporated into the Lampizator circuit. The Squeezebox controller remains untouched and one can use it or the iPad app iPeng to control the Lampizator Transport.

http://lampizator.eu/szop/szopproducts/LZ-TRANSPORT/Lampizator%20transport.html

They both use similar circuits but do two different jobs. “Transport” seems to be an unfortunate word to describe these two machines and what they accomplish, perhaps a Polish/ English translation error.

I have two friends that own these two different machines and have heard both at their homes and into my PWD. Believe me the results are surprising for the skeptical, I was certainly doubtful. Clearly quite a few notes are lost in the USB implementation for music. I’ve not heard the Offramp (another seemingly unfortunate name) but I’m sure it improves the sound quality of USB as well.

Hope this clears up any confusion concerning Lampizator products.

Steven

B-)

@ALRAINBOW I am perfectly calm until I have to remove the PWD & PWT lids, thank you.

I’m glad I don’t live near you. Lmao. If that’s calm imagine how much better you would be with a 5 ml clanazapam

And Steve. I did not see the i2s option and in what format ?? But I am glad someone other than me hears a difference.

Stay calm now