Upgraded P5 to P12

Been listening for about 2 hours and the improvement is across the board. Everything is effortless. Better bass control and detail, sweeter top end, mids natural and detailed. P12 is a significant upgrade from p5.

Well done PS Audio team.

My components are
Simaudio 680d Streamer/DAC
Simaudio 700i Integrated Amp
Dynaudio Contour 60 Speakers
XLO Signature 3 power cords and interconnects

4 Likes

Sweet! Thanks for posting this and sharing!

Welcome @anuragmathur !

Welcome to the fun spot…

Thank you for sharing your experiences going from p5 to P12…

In going from a P5 to a P12 my experience was exactly as yours…
Confirming that the improved technologies P12 over P5 besides
being on paper …it is a remarkable audible reality …

Enjoy !!

Best wishes

1 Like

I also have both devices. Both are in use in separate systems. Statistically, the P12 (2019) performs about 10 percent better than the P5 (2012) with respect to THD.

Not sure I can pinpoint a sound quality difference though. Both are great units.

1 Like

What I have discovered is that the auditable differences with major/minor changes to ones system is directly correlated to the resolution ones system is capable of.

My current set up is very sensitive to changes in the signal path. My previous systems capability was less sensitive.

Great to hear! Crazy how much the difference can be from a P5 to a P12. Glad you’re enjoying it!

Only 10% better? So, for example, if THD is reduced from 4% to 0.4% with the P5 it is further reduced to 0.3% with the P12?

Those are the graphs. The P12 is on a dedicated 20amp circuit, the older P5 is on a shared 15 amp circuit. Both get to about the same place. The P12 has some technical improvements over the P5, but both work well. The P5 is ten years old, the P12 is around three.

At this point, I’m not sure I can tell the difference.

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks.

1 Like

This is great information, thank you. I have no complaints about the P5 performance, other than maybe the fans need cleaning. Glad to hear they are reliable long term and keeping up with the new model. I may buy another one for a second system. New ones are too expensive here in Canada!

1 Like

These screens will help keep down the dust (above link). The item linked below help with heat build up. I use these component fans on several of my components. You have to slightly bend the screen to fit in the slot (slightly humped).

1 Like