We Also Like: Dark Chocolate

Today is National Dark Chocolate Day in the US. What is your favorite dark/bittersweet chocolate? Bonus points if it doesn’t contain excessive heavy metals. :smile:

I’m pretty picky about the % of cocoa. About 60-65% is my, um, sweet spot. I find 70% to be too bitter. Below 60% starts to get too wimpy. Lately I’ve been consuming a lot of Chocolove Rich Dark Chocolate, which is at 65%.

4 Likes

My wife and I are pretty partial to Trader Joe’s 72% cacao Belgian bark chocolate bars.

7 Likes

I was also a Trader Joe’s dark chocolate addict. Help’s I have a Trader Joe’s within walking distance of my building.
Was …
Wouldn’t you know it, Trader Joe’s 72% Cacao and 85% Cacao were on the Consumer Reports bad list for high lead and high lead+cadmium, respectively. Other brands like Lindt, another former favorite, are on that list. I can live without eating metals used in batteries. But I have other addictions to fall back on, fortunately. Ice cream … now we’re talking.

1 Like

I wonder if that’s why they were off the market for a while a little while back.

1 Like

Seattle Chocolate Dark Sea Salt Toffee Truffle Bar…

1 Like

Dark Chocolate is rich in copper. I hear it’s good for the heart :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I think the Pound Plus Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds (55% cacao) also disappeared, or at least my wife couldn’t find it during her most recent visits to Trader Joe’s.

My wife and I are partial to the Trader Joe’s dark chocolate (with almonds) as well. I saw the Consumer Reports study about contaminants to. We are going to finish the pack and consider our options.

1 Like

Maybe we can put the Trader Joe’s dark chocolate bar over the P20 display to improve sound! I’m sure it’s cheaper than the 3m 7050 sheets.

2 Likes

Schaffer Berger 70%, Valrhona Oriado, Callebaut 815 or 60-40-38, or the two always reliable Ghirardelli and Lindt.

I plan to try out some Valrhona. Unfortunately, the stuff is expensive. Not as expensive as 3m 7050 sheets, but close. :smile:

Great stuff. They make a number of bittersweet bars, with different tasting and acidic notes. Their baking chocolates are wonderful.

How could I have forgotten about Guittard? :open_mouth: :yum: Another fantastic choice!

1 Like

I like all kinds of dark chocolate, usually prefer 60 percent or so, but this is the one that I courted my wife with, brought it over the first time I made dinner for her at her home and had to bring it over every time after that and it’s always in our pantry:

3 Likes
3 Likes

100% uncut cacao.

https://a.co/d/ccTQbnC

3 Likes

OldTown Fort Collins has a shop that specializes in “'bean to bar” single-origin daaaark chocolate. They ship.

Their website is undergoing a revamp, but the order page is up. Take a look . . .

1 Like

Local to us here in Oregon:

3 Likes

2 Likes

I wonder what constitutes “high” and how it compares to any known, standard exposure/toxicity concerns?

Curious that a food product could be sold in the U.S. with a material amount of “toxic metals” content…

Nothing better than this, lemme tell ya…

And it’s HOT like everything in new Mexico

2 Likes