We also love Bicycles

Saw this beauty online yesterday:

3 Likes

Love Campy! Iā€™ve been riding Campy since the early 80ā€™s (when I raced). Iā€™m still on the 11 speed Campy EPS, but quite frankly, I donā€™t see a need to change to 12 speed. Also, my tri bike is Campy (so are my wifeā€™s road bikes and her tri bike). All of them 11 speed EPS.

I actually went through the Campy mechanics class, so Iā€™m basically all the education of the master mechanic, but not certified as such as you need to spend at least one year as a mechanic (and thatā€™s not my jobā€¦)

I may be getting too old and cynical, but 11 speed vs 12 speed is just another cog that no one will notice while riding. Like so much in our hifi hobby, itā€™s marketing.
Re Campagnolo vs Shimano, you can see the difference in the food, imo.

Thereā€™s a difference between 11 and 12 speed that the is indeed the extra cog, but you will notice. Having one extra gear up when your climbing makes a different, and if you live in flat terrain, an extra gear on the flats (either in the middle to make the steps tighter, or on the high) can make a difference. Not enough that I would purchase a whole new grouppo however.

But I do think thereā€™s a significant difference between Campy and Shimano (or SRAM for that matter). You feel the gears click into place with Campy, whereas with Shimano, itā€™s ultra smooth. Not that one is better than the other, but the feel is definitely different. I felt disconnected from the bike riding Shimano, whereas my buddy when he borrowed my bike hated how the felt the Campy gears snap in place for every gear change. Being a sprinter (or was at least once upon a time), Iā€™m extremely used to the thumb levers and will miss gears with Shimano. Again, itā€™s preference, but in the tight bunch sprint, the last thing you want is a mis-shift.

Hmmm, reminds me of blenders. Getcha a Ninja!

1 Like

I had a Serotta Atlanta in Big Boy Blue. The Colorado was beyond my budget. Car club buddies thought it was outrageous to spend $2700 on a bike (in 1997). Donted it to El Grupo Youth Cycling a couple of years ago. Still have my Calfee bamboo bike with a set of wooden rims. Very comfortable, terrible for sprinting, but I donā€™t do that any more. Campy equipped of course, as was my commuting bike. When the shifting got sloppy just get the shifters rebuilt; the other guys had to buy new brifters for lots more money. Well, actually, most of my teammates just bought a new bike every other year so longevity wasnā€™t of much importance to them.

2 Likes

I have my early 1970ā€™s, hard raced but still beautiful DeRosa Professional, from when Ugo used to make the frames, pinned and silver brazed, waiting for me to find the mood and a rainy day to assemble it with my Super Record groupo. Original FIR tubulars, it will be a lovely ride along the river bike.

Bicycle maintenance isnā€™t one of my joys in life and thatā€™s why I ride this bike. The gears (11 speed) are inside the rear hub and it has a belt drive which makes it super quiet. No more greasy chains to deal with.

8 Likes

interesting!

1 Like

Hey Cardri,

Are you using a Saris motion table? I love mine! I have my custom Seven on it.

I just looked at their website. Not a badly priced bike for something so innovative and good looking!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an understatement for me ā€“ I paid $1999 for mine. :smirk:

Cool concept. Didnā€™t know they were doing 11 speed internal hubs these days.

Some have even more than that.
This will give you an idea of how they work:

this goes way beyond my 4-speed Sturmey Archer hub.

2 Likes

My first ā€œgoodā€ bike had a three speed Sturmey Archer, with a twist grip shifter (roughly 1961). God, did I love that bike.

2 Likes

That was nuts! Iā€™m amazed that this thing can be affordable enough to use on a bike.

1 Like

I rode one of those for years on my mountain bike. Very strong, no missed shifts, easy to use/maintain, a bit heavy, and worth its cost. You can change gears while stopped. A tiny let up in pedal force permits multiple gear shifts; very handy for those sudden changes from flat pr down to steep climb or needing a lower gear quickly after bashing that rock and losing speed uphill.
I kept waiting for them to produce the rumored light weight version.

2 Likes

I have my Sram AXS XX1 derailleur but do have Onyx Racing Sprague clutch hubs!