We also love cars

You won’t like it but a top of the line 2021 Mazda turbo CX-30. I negotiated an okay price (at least under MSRP which isn’t a given right now) but do have to drive a couple hours to get it. Also have a wait and there’s not 100% chance of delivery.

I paid $53K for my 2009 C2S with 23K miles on it in 2012. I just changed insurance to Cincinatti and their agreed to replacement value is $57K… with 174K miles!!! WTF? When I saw that on the policy, I almost jumped into the car and ran it into a pole.

Dogs and cats living together ! Mass hysteria !

Peace
Bruce in Philly

2 Likes

Mazda does a nice job. I have found all Mazdas to be remarkably fun to drive for their class. I also like the Mazda red.

Getting a new car under MSRP has got to be a bit of a challenge right now.

1 Like

I had a 2015 M-B C300 and kept getting emails from the dealer where I had it serviced begging for owners to sell them their rides. Out of curiosity, I checked in to see what the value was. The cash offer translated to $2,000/year in depreciation for the 4 years I owned it (I bought it used). But in the process, I found a newer, better equipped 2018 C300 on their lot with only 6,700 miles on it! My 2015 and $17k got the deal done and the replacement came with a Certified Pre-Owned 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Among other goodies, the car has the “Parkmatic” self-parking feature, which I really don’t need, but it’s fun scaring the s**t out of passengers with it.

i think about this every day and i never like the sound of it :flushed:

Nice interiors in Mazdas.

1 Like

You may like the VW Tiguan, which is the same platform as the Macan.

Also, the new Hyundai Genesis seem very impressive!

I have been thinking of buying a new corvette, at a cost probably well over MSRP, driving it for a month or two then selling. What do you all think of the economic possibility of breaking even after property taxes and other registration costs.

The allocation of C8s in the near term have been sold out, but one can order a C8 at MSRP currently. Who know what the market will be when you can get your hands on a C8. My guess is that by that time you will not be able to sell at a profit or a wash.

I would not try to second the market. If you like the car, order one, but do not expect to pull anything cute.

I wouldn’t count on it. We are due for a massive correction, especially when it comes to “pleasure toys”. Not to mention, winter is coming, and by next summer, all travel restrictions on vaccinated people should be lifted. In other words, the Covid affect will have ended, and many of these recently purchased toys will be for sale.

In late 2019 a brand new Corvette (with manual) was selling for about $55K in Canada ($40K USD at the time). Now they are 25% more. Not going to last.

1 Like

It’s a crazy world: A friend bought a Cayman GT4 a few months ago, put 3800 miles on it and sold it back to the dealer for 5 figures more than he paid for it.

1 Like

I 100% agree with you that there will soon be a massive correction, but I’m not as optimistic as you about the end of COVID. :flushed:

That’s super rare, perfect storm. Only really happens with the Porsche GT models, and because there is a massive parts shortage now.

The current VW Tiguan is built on VW’s MQB architecture along with the VW Atlas and Audi Q3 as well as a number of cars.

The Porsche Macan and Audi Q5 share the MLB architecture with a number of cars.
These vehicles feature longitudinally mounted engines as well as multilink front &brear suspensions.

Many of which are made in the US or Mexico.

2 Likes

You are right, I believe that is what I said, which is why I called them “German brand cars” and not “German cars”. Well my experience is that with some tricks “Made in Mexico” becomes “Made in USA” with most of the labour done in Mexico. :wink:

Not to highjack the thread, but global supply chains are crazy interwoven anymore. Using M-B as the quintessential German example . …

The 4-cyl engines for US built Benz’s are built by NIssan in their Tennessee plant - or at least they were beginning in 2014 unless that arrangement has changed. C-Class models with the six used to come from South Africa, but C-Class sedan production from Tuscaloosa has also been moved there at this point.

All in all, they have manufacturing plants in 22 countries.

Tuscaloosa Plant, Tuscaloosa, USA

Mercedes-Benz GLE, GLE Coupé
Mercedes-Benz GLS
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan (for USA)

Although since sometime in 2020 the C-Class for the US market comes from the South African plant with Tuscaloosa producing only SUV’s.

1 Like

And I understand cars even have speakers in them.

2 Likes

Alas, but no PSA speakers.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good point. I don’t see a separate subject for the 600. I started a thread in the Amplifier section.

1 Like