We also love cars

Pretty! Love German sport wagons!

I agree in all respects. A solid thoughtful post.

This is also why Ducatis look good years later. And why the E-Type Jaguar is still pretty.

Corvette has moving to more jagged aggressive lines and edges for a couple of generations now. While this currently means “Corvette,” and one can see the new C8 has these cues, I also believe the C8 will not age well.

I started calling them “Anime Cars” about the time Acura started angularizing their designs. Things haven’t gotten any better since. One hopes the Cybertruck represents the apex of this silliness.

And now for something completely different:
1938 Talbot Lago T120 Roadster

Easy on the eyes . . .

3 Likes

Yes! Perfect example of the organic curve… these curves are what occurs in nature and our brains are wired to be attracted to it.

These aggressive… “Anime” is a good description… angular… well… they look like they were designed by the creators of the Batman movies. Definitly a style, but not a long-lasting one.

If you want to read up on design in general, I think the best place to start is by discovering Raymond Loewy… He da man.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Another element of design is proportion. The Greeks identified the Golden Ratio… (defines that organic curve) modern photography and the graphic arts call it the Rule of Thirds… Aston Martin used it as their foundational design language.

That Talbot Lago oozes both the elements of proportion and organic curve. This does not come about by a designer noodling, or a marketing department identifying a trend (“put bigger silicon globes in it!”) but a deep education applied with creativity.

To continue the Corvette bashing… I don’t see much of either in that car… therefore not timeless.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like

The C8 is definitely not classically pretty, but few cars are, especially contemporary vehicles.

Design, like everything else, swings back and forth. Fads come and go. Only time eventually informs us as to what is timeless.

Yes! Along with Brooks Stevens who designed the 1949 Hydra-Glide:

The Studebaker Hawk Gran Turismo

And, of course, this . . .

Stevens and Lowey founded the Industrial Designers Society of America with others in 1944.

We lived for a spell in Mequon, WI and were able to tour his museum before it closed in 1999.

Speaking of the C8, I sat in one yesterday.
I was delighted to see a row of buttons, longitudinally positioned along the console, for controls rather than a mouse-like thing.
I could easily expect that muscle memory would be a quick learn, keeping driver’s eyes where they should be. 50 points.

Those center console buttons are always a topic in the love it or hate it topic! I thought the C8 by size and comfort standards feels like one of the roomiest more comfortable corvettes I’ve ever sat in.

It is a nice cockpit. The button row is great for the driver, passengers fuss it intrudes into their space.

It may disappear:

1 Like

with temps in the upper 40’s this week in Minnesota, the roadster came out of hibernation

1 Like

I always enjoy seeing convertibles pushing the weather in the spring - tops down, windows up, heat on full blast. :slight_smile:

heated seats are also a blessing :hot_face:

2 Likes

Mice / joy sticks have mostly been replaced by touch screens thacks to smart phone tech. Hand gestures inputs are the next level controls coming to autos.

:joy:

1 Like

I have a hand gesture for the mice/joy sticks/ touch screens right here…

1 Like

New to me…2021 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition. After driving sedans for many years an SUV is a nice change.

2 Likes

5 Likes

It’ll be another month before the grass needs mowing here. Nice rides!

1 Like

Shhh! Do not say that out loud, the grass may hear you. I do not want to start cutting grass before I have too!

Agreed. Nice rides!

2 Likes