What Are You Spinning Right Now? (Mk. 2)

Playing the whole thing through, with the stand out Turiya and Ramakrishna.

4 Likes

Hank Mobley “Workout” Blue Note Japan RVG lp facsimile cd

12 Likes

Wonderful music!

It’s that kinda morning !

4 Likes

Haven’t heard much Alice Coltrane. Shall listen to this one. Thanks for highlighting the standout tracks.

2 Likes

4 Likes

15 Likes

2 Likes

6 Likes

I have this LP and the recording / pressing sounds gorgoues!

1 Like

12 Likes

4 Likes

11 Likes

DR14

1 Like

How’s the remastering of that one? Digital-y, or Analog-y? I may have the LP around somewhere, not sure. Its a CD?

Looked it up on Qobuz US (nope) and Tidal (yep -but sounds awful, and is not “remastered”).

Not as good sounding as my original copy, lifted / slight boost in the treble which gives the impression there is more information - ultimately lacks gravitas and warmth of the original. Similar scenario with ‘Alone Together’ but out of the two ‘Alone Together’ cuts it better. Although not as popular, I do like his album ‘Let it Flow’ on vinyl.

Been playing a pile of Jazz albums of late and I find it difficult going back to assess other genres and formats because they just sound a tad processed and contrived after great, natural sound of Jazz on a vinyl work out. DMP & DS are truly excellent; but, stick a good Jazz recording on a lump of vinyl, I just sit here transfixed… It’s on another level!

Not anti-digital by any stretch and I hear what they can do better/differently and I’m inline for the Super-Ted DAC but, there’s a special magic with good old vinyl…

Obviously - this is only what I hear and feel! Anyway, it’s late at this side of the pond. Time to let the stylus cool down and the ageing deck needs sleep, …as do I… Cheers.

12 Likes

@Bad Beef
I think you bring up a good point. What does it mean when a recording sounds digital(ly) or analog(y)? Also, what is the reference. For insytance there is clearly a difference in analog LP sound recorded with tubes in the late 1950s to mid 1960s. Clearly analog was not at its best when recorded to 4-track on solid state mixing boards in the mid sixties. An example would be some of the British mid sixties recordings, The Kinks comes to mind here. Digital sound to my ears could be rather horrific from the 1980’s to very early 1990s. Especially considering the recording industry was reissuing just about anything they could get their hands on. Many, but not all of those remastered digital CDs just sound awful. Food for thought. Maybe I’ll start a new thread on it tonite after dinner.

New thread by @weedeewop is here.