What Classical are you spinning?

Just got a shipment of 3 out 5 Naxos CDs from Presto Music’s recent sale (2 are back ordered). Starting out with this very nice recording of Beethoven’s “The Creatures of Prometheus.”

1 Like

Next up:

I don’t have any other recordings of these pieces to compare this to, but I’m enjoying it greatly. I like Alsop’s work anyway. She used to guest conduct here in Indy with some regularity, and I still recall a particularly effective reading she did of James (or Jimmy, as she called him) MacMillan’s “Confession of Isobel Gowdie.”

1 Like

The fact that Leif Segerstam is the conductor makes interesting! Here are some of his sayings:

“The kaleidescopic flexator on the podium — the conductor.”

“The winds can rehearse the length of the teedle-eedle-boom.”

“Keep the fermata of the rest interesting.”

“It is very beautiful what you played, but you are forgetting one thing that makes it tomorrow too loud.”

“We get a plankton plasmatic flimmer.”

Those are great! I admit to not being familiar with either him, or this orchestra (though I see in the liner notes that the orchestra traces its origins back to 1790, when it was founded as “The Turku Musical Society”).

1 Like

Fins seem to pay good attention to classical.

I have been enjoying this CD quality ad free station for years :+1:t2:
I tune to it using streamers.

Playing something for @stevensegal …interesting modern ballet music if you’re in a relaxed mood and let it flow.

Two new SACD acquisitions from BIS, played expertly on a period reproduction of an 1830 Pleyel.

2 Likes

Songs without words are so nice. I have the Barenboim double CD version from DG.

1 Like

I’ve also got a very nice older Denon recording by Kyoko Tabe, but when I saw this very well-reviewed set on SACD, played by a performer I like a lot, on a period reproduction instrument, I had to get them.

1 Like

1 Like

Paganini’s Caprice no. 24 on One Guitar - Marcin Patrzalek - YouTube

Another Villa-Lobos chamber music recording…really nice!

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

A really wonderful sounding 1976 AAA LP with very good music!

You immediately notice the special 3D imaging, lively analog sound. Those „normal“ but absolutely audiophile sounding albums are a gem.

2 Likes

Streaming on Tidal. Sounds as good as the old LP (at least in my memory). It’s a revelation, re-experienced.

3 Likes

Just dropping some giggles and classic in the future maybe. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like