What Classical are you spinning?

I have had this recording for maybe 30 years. Streicher is superb as is the recording.

1 Like

I wanted to hear an orchestra in a church; chose this one as it was offered on Qobuz at 192/24 and was pleased. Can anyone offer some bio, review and critique of this recording. Thank you

2 Likes

It’s been a favorite of mine for demo purposes ever since I bought the LP in the late '70s or very early '80s. I particularly like to play Julsang for the impact of the massed voices when they come in. Because of the seasonal content, though, it doesn’t get much year-round play here. Once the first-issue CD came out, I used the LP to demonstrate its superiority to the digital version. I have it on SACD now, too, and it’s virtually indistinguishable from the LP to my ears.

When I bought the LP, I was dating a nursing student from Sweden, and when she went home for a holiday break, I asked her to look for any other records on the Proprius label and pick them up for me, but all she found was one other. It was very nice, but not as good as this one.

This, the latest offering of The Electric Recording Company, may be of interest to vinyl collectors with sufficient disposable income.
The Electric Recording Company..

2 Likes

Gentlemen, thank you all for your contributions. I feel fortunate to have discovered this album.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon 1.8 Announcement

This is the one other Proprius release she brought back for me:

Reheating my cup of coffee and steaming now, thank you

3 Likes

Pulled this SACD off the shelf! Pure magic!

4 Likes

Recommended for me by Qobuz. A remarkable recording. We got to hear the Requiem performed locally several years ago. Nice to revisit it.

3 Likes

Carmignola does magic in this CD! Such a beautiful performance and a good recording.

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

Just got another fine recording from Naxos:

1 Like

Great recording this particular movement? WOW!

3 Likes

One for @chrisj1948
Pieces-de-luth

1 Like

Listening to the first track. Obviously I would never do anything so crass as judging an album before hearing it in its entirety but forming dimly in the mists of my crystal ball I sense the words " … but unfortunately Salamanca is not North, and Weiss is not Dowland". :slight_smile:

1 Like

@chrisj1948 Is Delius a poor man’s Elgar?

This concerto has its moments, but I suspect it could have been a soundtrack for a Celia Johnson movie. Du Pre’s was the first recording, 40 years after it was written.
du-pre-elgar.jpg copy

1 Like