What Classical are you spinning?

A treasure!

The son of Rolf Lislevand. Great father with Lute and really enjoyable Music for Viola da Gamba by his son and group …

1 Like

She learned these during first lockdown (8 weeks, 10 hours per day) and recorded them last July, just her and the recording engineer in the building. This is the first time I have ever considered these pieces to be real music, rather than exercises. She transcends the technical difficulties as if they don’t exist, which for her they probably don’t. There is joy, tenderness, humour …

4 Likes

Her renditions are quite nice.

Having grown up with the Caprices I always considered them real music, akin to Chopin’s Etudes.

1 Like

I’ve struggled listening to them as a set. She slows a lot of them down, total playing time is 104 minutes, compared to 72 for Perlman, which seems typical. The variations in tempo seem to increase musicality, the technical aspects remain in full view.

Ibragimova is a force of nature and her live performances are often mesmerising. Got an email this morning about a small festival in about 3 weeks, she’s playing the Shostakovich violin sonata. Looking forward to that.

Saw him at the Metropolitan Opera many times in several roles including ,“La fille du régiment” with Natalie Dessay; a magnificent Marie, and (the last time) “La Traviata” with Diana Damrau. His recordings give full justice to his warm, beautiful & very special voice.

1 Like

A LP version of this:

2 Likes

1 Like

4 Likes

I’m not sure that I would call Max Richter classical, but Roon says he is so I am listing this set, which I am listening to over Sunlight and it sounds great.

1 Like

Held tickets to hear Lise sing Leonora last December at The Met which was cancelled due to Covid. Listening to the first 4 tracks I now know exactly what I missed.

If you have anything between a passing interest and a fervent passion for this music & great singing I cannot recommend this disc too highly. And if she does appear anywhere near you find a way into the building.

3 Likes

I’ve kept a pile of cancelled gigs on my desk the last 15 months. A sort of memorial to The Arts in the Era of Covid. Lise Davidsen is on top, no pun intended, as it was the first night of lockdown, she’s also underneath somewhere as well. I thought about making a collage out of these bits of paper but it would be too depressing. Fortunately lots of nice gigs coming up, starting in two weeks. We are fans of Balanchine, your adopted son, his work features in the new season as it’s often fairly small scale and the dancers obviously aren’t match-fit for the big stuff.

3 Likes

Bach on SACD with Flute Sonatas played on Recorder, Viola da Gamba and Harpsichord. Really nice. A little courtly in the setting. But even great sounding with Sunlight on DSD Sr. fed by connected PST. Delicious …

3 Likes

DuPre’s Cello Concerto is justifiably famous and Janet Baker’s Sea Pictures are luminous throughout & in “Where Corals Lie” haunting.

6 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like