What Classical are you spinning?

Jackson Berkey in one of the better piano recordings in my collection. Unfortunately it runs less than 30 minutes long.

:heart_eyes:

Another good recording with Sol Gabetta.

2 Likes

I am a fan of Carmignola and Gabetta :+1:t2: What do you think of Cecilia Bartoli’s voice?

2 Likes

Saw her early in her career at the Metropolitan Opera in Le Nozze di Figaro, Cosi Fan Tutte, Arabella & La Cenerentola, and in concert with the Met Orchestra at Carnegie Hall. Most of her recordings are in my collection. It was a sad day when she stopped flying and didn’t return. On the list of great coloratura mezzo sopranos I’ve seen over the course of a 37 year Met subscription she’s right at the top.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience and views. I enjoy her singing a lot. Her voice carries me to a different world.

1 Like

Try to hear her Giusto ciel, in tal periglio!" (Track 3)

2 Likes

I was listening to Amadeus Quartet play Smetana; then switched to the above recommendation. To say the least, her voice is celestial.

1 Like

A great admirer of the Amadeus Quartet (which, sadly, I never heard live) image this 5 LP set has been in my collection for decades… Recall a review of another set of the last 4 quartets, which concluded, 'you may not think you care about this music but buy this set anyway, a time will come when it will help get you through the night."

1 Like

Together with Beaux Arts Trio and Quartetto Italiano, they became my go to chamber ensembles, mainly because I’ve grown up listening to them.
Edit: and I should have added LaSalle Quartet!

1 Like

I did get to see the Beaux Arts Trio live shortly before Isadore Cohen retired. Their complete set of Haydn Piano Trios is still the benchmark.

1 Like

I have and greatly enjoy this set.

2 Likes

Me too. Have the CDs ripped on my server. Was listening to them the other day.

1 Like

Cecilia Bartoli is amazing. I just discovered Sonya Yoncheva.
And we can add Anna Netrebko and Diana Damrau.

1 Like

Held tickets to see her at The Met in Il Trovatore May 29th, which was cancelled due to COVID. Netrebko & Damrau I’ve seen many times. Great singers.

The memorable performance of recents years was Lisette Oropesa. I went to her opening night in Lucia at Covent Garden and she brought the house down.

My first week of lockdown last year was memorable. The first night was Jonas Kaufman and Lise Davidsen in Fidelio, a Lise Davidsen recital a couple of days later, the next night was Franscesca Hayward’s first Odette/Odile in Swan Lake and two days after that was a New York City Ballet show.

Live performances start in 3 weeks.

1 Like

. 70 CD’s, original jackets with images of original recording session reports. A few works are repeated; nice if interested in comparing different performances.

3 Likes

Multiple cellos always get my attention and in this case the kind of contemporary classical music is also what I like. If you start at track 2 you might think it’s Steve Reich. Recommended if you like that.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look into that. I enjoy some contemporary, even avant-garde, classical. My brother loves it.

Amazing voice and performance!

1 Like