What Classical are you spinning?

Some WB Classic reissues do sound better than original EMI issues, fingers crossed.

1 Like

5 Likes

I happen to have Brahms’ second piano concerto by the same artists on CD from Decca and it’s among the better ones. Brahms two piano concertos were written 25 years apart.

1 Like

Jacqueline Du Pre Warner Classic Discogs Listing

Discogs shows only one Warners Classics release, a 2017 reissue. Under the notes it lists it as a digital 24 bit 96kHz remaster to vinyl. There may be others, but Discogs only lists one Warner Classics. I was originally leaning towards this one, but my preference was for a AAA sourced reissue, which the Testament satisfied. I’m looking forward to my copy, which is coming in FedEx from South Africa.

Serhan, could you share a few with us as I may pick-up a copy or two on vinyl.
Thanks.

I mentioned one above.

1 Like

All these sound great on my system.
Helene Grimaud, being a creative rubato artist, does it differently, and I like it. You may want to check her on Tidal or Qobuz before buying the physical media.

2 Likes

I have them both on CD, too, and like them a lot.

3 Likes

Thanks, Jazznut for this list. Since buying an aftermarket power cable for my Perfectwave SACD transport and reveling in the surprising enhancement of its live-like playback, I’ll check these out to augment my SACD library.

1 Like

Interestingly, cellist Robert Scheiwein performs the third movement of the second concerto with Ashkenazy / Haitink, Pollini / Abbado, and Pollini / Bohm. :ok_hand:t2:

Thank-you for sharing. I may be dating myself here a bit but the Brahms Piano Concerto Nr. 1 and Nr. 2 with Maurizio Pollini I picked up at Figaros, a classic record store, in Champaign, in the day. Both on vinyl and splendid! It has been a long time since I listened to either.

1 Like

Ha! I spent a ton of money at Figaro’s when I was in my 20s. There, and at their non-classical sister store, Record Service. (Also at Rosewood Music and The Little Professor.)

1 Like

…and Divinyl Madness and Discount Records, and who can forget, Charlie, also known as the Quaker Goes Deaf. I used to supply Mabel’s with Jazz spins as a friend was the manager and into jazz, he was more Spyro Gyra, and I was Coltrane, Ornette, Eric Dolphy, Sun Ra, and the ecm catalog.

1 Like

Sublime, detailed, lively and fun.

3 Likes

Divinyl Madness was where I got all my heavy-gauge clear sleeves for my album covers.

1 Like

Me as well, repurposed overstuffed couch protector material.

An old friend on new equipment= new music!

1 Like

5 Likes

I enjoy Kempff’s Appasionata performance! I have his 1964 cycle of LVB sonatas. Recording quality is average. The same can be said of all the other Kempff LPs and CDs in my collection. In my opinion, Philips and Decca recordings of the same era sound better.

1 Like

SACD on BMOP Sound

1 Like