Where did Brodric go?

Yeah, for sure.

What is somewhat amazing about the memory of St. Brodric (the patron saint of curmudgeons) is how the chatter about him continues on after he’s been Elk-puffed into sainthood.

Like Mr. Beef, back to listening chair . . .

1 Like

That’s made my day, possibly my year. Beautifully done. The idea of being on a cruise ship alone gives me suicidal thoughts. I’m told they charge for air. I won’t stay in a hotel with more than about 20 rooms other than under duress. Have vacated several hotels due to unremitting Muzak. In Seville recently we checked in to three different hotels in 6 hours (if anyone visits, go to The Mercer). On a trip that year somewhere near the Artic Circle I could have done with a few people. It was my son’s 21st, he was in Paris and I hadn’t sent him a card or message (I had paid for the trip). The only people I could find were 4 Chinese who said they were officials at the Chinese Embassy in Washington. By that I assume they meant they were spies. Looking at the collection of cameras, they almost certainly were spies. . . . by the time I got back to an internet signal a few hours later my son got his birthday message.

On the subject of B, the main problem for us foreigners is that the US$ is so strong and, as Paul indicates, the harsh reality is that overseas manufacturers are at a disadvantage to local ones, and PSA customers in the USA clearly get a level of service of which many would be envious. I remember when the £ was worth double what it is now and American products were cheap. I think there are a lot of UK audio companies making a lot of money with their prices in the USA given the favourable exchange rate to them.

The dollar is strong, particularly in relationship to the £. This certainly has a major impact.

And there is no way I will ever be on a cruise ship. Bleh.

I have only once been on a cruise; in the Caribbean 12 years ago. I thought it was impressive, and the food was good. It was actually just incidental. I was competing in the World Pokerbot Championship. My bot didn’t win, but the seasoned poker players admitted it gave them a hard time. I have never had any interest in gambling, so you can guess it was the culmination of a long and complicated story.

I like the name, Pokerbot.

The only thing lower on my list than cruises is Las Vegas, except we did once go there for 36 hours. The reasons are endless, but gambling is one of them. My answer to gambling is simply to burn the money on a bonfire in the back garden; it’s easier and you could probably get a barbecue out of it. We stayed at a place called Wynn. The only things that were not monitored by lasers were the pool towels, so we went for a swim. We had trouble checking out because the lady refused to believe anyone could stay and have an account that registered $0.00. We didn’t even use their parking lot. The manager was called.

The one redeeming moment was the Pen & Teller Show. Very enjoyable. The little one, it turns out, is a really competent jazz pianist. The other one was the size of a piano, but very nice and we got a photo with the kids.

Near the bottom of the list are Magico speakers, but let’s not go there. It’s a free world, mostly.

2 Likes

Las Vegas wasn’t built on people with zero balances due. I commend you for your restraint. Gamblers and their money are easily separated.

Gambling is a tax on those who did not pass basic math.

I have no interest in going to Las Vegas, but would happily go with someone who adores the place and really understand how it works. The behind the scenes/insider’s view would be fascinating.

3 Likes

I’ve only gone there on jobs, which is a chunk of their business, what with the monstrous convention facilities and so on. Which was cool, as I didn’t have to pay for any of it. Never been into gambling or hookers, so that helped. There are usually married clients who are like teenagers let out of the house for the first time, despite being in their 40’s-60’s. So it can be entertaining in a kitschy way.

Edit: Wait - sorry, said I wouldn’t post here. How did this suddenly become a fun thread? :man_shrugging:t2:

I bet they are like release teenagers - excellent simile.

1 Like

I sort of get the dislike for Vegas but you don’t have to gamble. Great restaurants, world class cocktail lounges, and really fun entertainment (enjoy the kitsch of Big Elvis).

Spend an afternoon at Carnival Court (outside bar at Harrah’s). If you don’t make a half dozen new friends in an afternoon, you’re not trying. Also enjoy the pool scene (some are just for the young and beautiful, others are for everyone and a blast)…guess being a boozer doesn’t hurt. There’s also a great, local art scene that can be really fun (first Friday of each month).

2 Likes

I do not have an objection to gambling, I just expect the place to be crowded and noisy (sound and visual) - not my idea of fun.

I was unaware of an art scene. Neat. They have a website, etc.

Order!

1 Like

I’ll have a burger, fries, and a chocolate shake.

2 Likes

Vegas First Friday

1 Like

Why the order doesn’t work?! Because the moderator of this “Culture Club” allowed himself to be seduced to violate about any rule he set for the regular forum members?
But I enjoy watching how far he gets carried away.

1 Like

I won a trip to Vegas about 10 years ago. Bellagio, where our bathroom was preposterously big; a 10 person shower for sure. Picasso restaurant, walls decorated with Picasso’s paintings, probably painted by Pablo’s cousin Harold. The most beautiful hotel pool I’ve ever seen, crazy expensive, so glad I didn’t pay a penny. But we had a blast. My GF wanted to try a slot machine. She lost $50 in the time it took me to roll my eyes. Done with that. But it was fun. Once.

2 Likes

Pissing me off, as I’m trying to find a phone snap I took there years ago of a really good fish dish I had outdoors at a restaurant on the Strip. If you don’t fall for the retiree cheap meal thing, there is a lot of good food available there.

Always the last word mr. B!

Here’s a couple great, and more local Vegas restaurants and a really cool cocktail bar (run by a couple really great hipster women).

https://carsonkitchen.com/
http://www.herbsandrye.com/

I’m a fan of the city for sure.