WOW songs: post your favorite Krall, Barber, etc

Sorry, wrong word used…she finds it fascinating, but it’s not really music, it’s rather fascinating sound. :wink:

1 Like

I thought Bubbles was interesting until I was ambushed by Yosi’s Timbres. It’s a full range assault and really showcases low end control.

1 Like

Vanessa Fernandez - “Here But I’m Gone”

If you get a little heavy handed with the volume control, it does nothing but good things

Best,
-JP

Nice, vee! His Letters is also fun.

I forgot one wow track. Not because of extraordinary sound quality, but because of a head banging rhythm quality (it’s just a piano track).

OK-someone else likes Patricia Barber a fellow Chicagoan. Try her 2011 redo of her Cafe Blue album-Unmastered on a hybrid SACD disc. Done by none other than Gus Skinnas! Very interesting.

Mark.

1 Like

As many releases where Gus is mentioned, as far as I read on Discogs, it’s „authored“ by him, which seams to mean something like „he put the tracks in a sequence, leveled them“ etc. Doesn’t mean he mastered the release or „did it“.

I concur, Bubbles is not only sonically amazing but it’s very entertaining, actually the whole EP is pretty neat.

I have far, far too many to name one (or even two or three). I’ve been putting them all in a series of 20-song Qobuz playlists (those songs I can find on Qobuz, anyway) called “Craig’s Ear Candy 01” through “Craig’s Ear Candy 18” (so far). They’re all set for public access and can be found easily with their search function, so I won’t clutter things up here with a mass of links.

3 Likes

Here is one more I forgot. 1+ music and sound.

If you hear a few of your favorite songs from this one at concert volume and at the end „Back in the USSR“, I swear, you have tears in your eyes, so good it is.

Excellent arrangements.

When I want to show off I go for live recordings, so…

Sweet Jane by Cowboy Junkies
Squonk by Genesis from Seconds Out (Just because of the low end…)
The Knife by Genesis from Live

If someone asks to hear one of my systems, I put on what they know - ideally a CD with which they are familiar.

2 Likes

That’s always the best. The problem is, most people don’t even have a track in common with what’s available in a library of someone deep into music for longer. My experience is, most people usually know the radio hits of their 20’s and the current ones. May sound arrogant (though not meant so) but that’s my experience.

That is perfectly logical except when my niece and nephew asked to hear Sgt Pepper. When I played it, they winced and said “ewwww—what’s that?” They only knew the BeeGees version. Go figure.

Not on Qobuz? Boo. Also, with Craig’s post I’m noticing playlists are available through Qobuz, but Roon doesn’t “see” them. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

That’s interesting. Not being in the Roon camp myself, I’m not sure what to suggest.

No worries, but thanks. Interesting that you’re using qobuz without roon. I’d say that makes your situation unique among your peers in this community. I use qobuz directly when I walk my dog, and listened to a couple of your playlists that way. Good stuff that I wanted to hear on my main system, but should be able to access the songs quickly as it’s all qobuz. Couple of interesting cover songs! Cheers, mate.

CD! Love it.

I am not sure, but I think that if you « like » the playlists in Qobuz, they might show up in Roon.

1 Like

From a server, USB, whatever is good, too. Just so they know the music well enough to enjoy it.

1 Like