Your drink of choice

And BTW @badbeef the appropriate amount of water in any good whisky/scotch/bourbon = 0 (for me at least). I’ve heard rumors that a few drops of water (as from an ice cube) can “open” the flavor. I’ve tried and went back to simply enjoying the spirit totally neat.

There are some amazing local choices as my favorite bourbon comes from Richmond, VA (Reservoir).

Well, Kurt - you’d be entitled to your wrong opinion on that. Ask any maker of single malt whiskies. There is a “drinking proof” that opens up the beverage, allowing for its full appreciation. You can of course noodle with that number to your heart’s content, and I wouldn’t seriously or strenuously argue that you can’t have it however you want.

In the case of this particular cask strength stuff, it is 114.29 proof. So - knock yourself out. Or at least your tastebuds.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I do understand adding a touch of water to the stronger stuff (Baker’s Bourbon for example). I stand “semi-corrected”.

And I do think bourbons are arguably a different case than single malts.

Adding a little water to Scotch, Rye, or Bourbon brings out the flavor. Effectively, less tongue burn, more taste. My rule of thumb is to cut the proof to around 60. 80 proof hooch gets mixed down 3 parts whiskey, 1 part water. 90 proof 2 to 1. 120 proof whiskey would go 1 to 1.

Baker’s Bourbon is good stuff. I found three bottles on a clearance rack at Ralph’s Grocery one time marked $3.50 a bottle. 107 proof stuff with great flavor. Needless to say, I left with all three.

1 Like

I first learned to cut good whisky with a bit of water from the distiller during a tour of Laphroaig. With a grin he noted ideally one uses the water from which the whisky is made, encouraging repeat visits.

He explained various percentage additions of water will taste different from each other and thus one should experiment.

2 Likes

Here’s a happy side effect of the pandemic. Having your recently graduated son living with you who also happens to make some killer beer. Latest result is this wonderfully tasty blueberry sour ale. I think this could be a backup career for him if his environmental science degree doesn’t pan out.

7 Likes

That looks fantastic Kurt. Now I’m hankering for something even close to what you have there.

There are some great commercial sours out there some with blueberry infusion. I’m sure you can find something to satisfy your pallet. US made micro and nano brewed beer options are almost too much and the quality is second to none. I’d argue that even Belgian beer (my former favorite) has been surpassed by “The Americans”.

2 Likes

I’m normally a red guy when I drink wine. I occurred to me that I’ve got some French Burgundies that will be getting a little past their prime. A sad consequence of buying more than you drink. I just don’t quaff very much anymore. I popped this open and sadly I’ll have to drink all of it😂. My wife is a teetotaler. My usual wine cohort is still at school until next week.

2 Likes

If you like sours, try something from The Lost Abbey in San Marcos CA.

I like IPA’s but for some reason they don’t like me. I will regret drinking this Vermont microbrew later, but right now I am enjoying it immensely.

4 Likes

I hope my good vices counter the bad, but I have a lot of bad vices. A solid rye for a great price. Tends to the sweet side of ryes.

4 Likes

Could be the 7%+ ABV…

Actually, it is the hops in IPA’s that do not agree with me.

1 Like

My son found this, and it’s quite nice considering it’s in a can.

4 Likes

+1/sadly. Found that over the last 5-10 years, I was less and less able to tolerate 'em. Or at least, certain varieties of them. From early on in its popularity, couldn’t metabolize Citra. Back in IL, used to hang out some with younger neighbors who seemed to have a very high tolerance for stuff like Resin. Ever the Sage Old Fart, I confidently prognosticated upon their future gut problems. But I frankly didn’t care, as they were Google employees :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also learned from a knowledgeable booze store employee that APAs in particular can have a very short shelf life, not always evident in the flavor. Like MI’s Bell’s Two Hearted (speaking of the 7% Solution) which was long a fave. Try not to buy it if over a month or so old. Hard to do in some parts of the country.

1 Like

Lagavulin Recommendations?
Of all the Scotch I’ve enjoyed, Lagavulin has by far been my favorite. Anyone have a recommendation of similar I might try? Criteria: Under a couple hundred $ and available in Canada… I’d like to put…er I mean find one under my Christmas tree… :evergreen_tree:
There’s a Bowmore 50 year old 1965 edition available at out provincial liquor store for a mere $45,000. It SHANT be that one. Wow!

If the pandemic has taught me one thing - it’s that you don’t need to have fun to have alcohol… :smirk:

1 Like

Two Scotch Whiskies I really like are Aberlour 12 year and Bladnoch 10 year. Both are around $50 USD.

3 Likes

Two Hearted is good ale!