Am I using Sine wave or Multiwave?

The Bay Area is having a heat wave this week, and the power grid was under serious stress yesterday (new records in many cities). I noticed THD of my P15 is over 2.2%, which might have been the highest I have seen.

So, the system naturally did not sound as good. But then I switched from Sine to Multiwave 4, it sounded better. Interestingly, when THD is lower I usually like Sine better (lately anyway).

1 Like

Hey dchang05…

My friend though the heatwave is bad…your thd at 2.2% is really pretty good…
at least compared to mine varying from 2% to 6.5% thd with no where near the heat
here in the southeast.

Even when thd reaches the 6% level…my ears overall prefer sine wave…but there
are some recordings that do require a mw of between 2-4…

If you are Bay Area Ca…then it is quite probable that electric power generation
is being taxed particularly with all the new electric vehicles needing to be charged.
Thus it would appear that may be the case…

Your P15 and entire system might be experiencing less than an adequate power
supply…perhaps stressing your P15 a little bit…

Just rambling my friend :innocent:

Wish you the best

1 Like

It could be due to the AC system in my house too. It was working extra hard this week and that may stress my audio system more. :thinking:

For no reason at all I switched back to Multiwave from Sine, and it is the first time with the new MK2. I like it and this setting will stay for a while before I make another change. Well, for one day anyway since we are leaving tomorrow for a week of vacation.

I am not doing any SQ comparison, but it surely sounds good. :man_dancing:

1 Like

Just tried MW too, you always make me test it after your posts.
Mmm still too much to my taste!
I already turned back to Sine, more natural to my ears.

Enjoy your sunny time!

2 Likes

I can’t tell the difference really on my P20

2 Likes

Iwill try a MW tonight. In the past SW always ruled like @luca.pelliccioli likes.

1 Like

With my P15 I used to be a 3 MultiWave guy but as my power got cleaner and cleaner and my source improved I became a SineWave or MultiWave 1 guy. MultiWave 1 is a nice setting.

I was a Multiwave 4 guy until a year ago. Then I turned into a happy Sine guy until today. With Mk2 I don’t know, the Multiwave 4 sounds more nature to me. But I have not gone back to compare, and I am about to shut down the system for a week.

When I comeback I will have a fresh pair of ears to judge the SQ more critically. But I am leaving it with Mutiwave 4 during its hibernation.

2 Likes

Multiwave 4 has always been my setting of choice. But what the heck. I’ve changes speakers, amps, DAC, cables and cords since I’ve played with the P20. I’ll give it a spin.

3 Likes

Same here!

1 Like

Safe travels. Enjoy!

1 Like

With Mk2 and the Mt Massive update, I can hear a clear difference between Sine and Multi wave changes.

In the past Multi-4 was the preference, but now Sine seems to give a more vivid presentation. I’ll stay with Sine for a couple of more days then I’ll switch back.

3 Likes

I’ve always been able to distinguish the sonic differences between Multiwave values and Sine. With Massive I find I can listen to Sine with more enjoyment. . . but my system still semms to prefer Multiwave at 3 or 4 most.

Hey Donald…

Somehow I had missed your post…

Glad your discovering the virtues of sine wave…

Since having owned the P5 then P12 and now P15…
Sine wave is my go to setting…however for thin, poorly,
brightly mastered recordings (I have few of those guys).
For those odd guys…then it is mw 4-6 setting.

Fun ain’t it? :thinking: :grin: :innocent:

Best wishes

1 Like

Sinewave always sounded cleaner and more focused and forward in my system. MW has a richer tone and harmonics which I prefer for my preferred music type. I guess is, it depends what you are listening to the most.

1 Like

It’s been years since I’ve played around with MW/Sine. It’s currently set at MW4. I’ll it another go-round.

That was my favorite setting too. I am on Sine for a tryout and I loved it last night. I am not sure what happened today, the SQ lost a bit of vividness, it is probably due to my bad round of golf. Or the break in on gears are going downward again.

5 Likes

My system has never ever sounded good right after a meal. fact.

3 Likes

Im at MW4, phase tune is at 3. winter days, I can get away with phase tune at 0

1 Like