Axpona 2023

I have decided not to go to Axpona. I have too much business travel this spring including a very long flight to India. I am going to use the funds I would have spent on the trip to Chicago towards something for my system.

I was really looking forward to meeting all of you. I’ll set my eyes on next year.

This who think business travel is fun have not done any.

6 Likes

Especially these days. I don’t relish wearing a mask for 6-8 hours at a time during US travel. The trip to India is already challenging, sleeping masked is next level hassle. But I am committed to not dragging anything home to my family. Elderly parents need to get more elderly.

5 Likes

I just learned today that at least one of the hospitals we transport to lifted the mask requirement in the hospital. It was strange walking in the ER seeing some if not most without the surgical masks. I honestly never thought I’d see the day.

3 Likes

Was looking forward to meeting you. There is a lot to see and hear at Axpona, and in my opinion, worth the trip.

2 Likes

Understandable, Vince. That sounds like a lot of travel. Stay safe.

1 Like

I have heard many funny stories from my leadership on trips to India. From monkeys and beggar’s to many food sickness. Good luck and stay safe.

1 Like

Hopefully you’ll be able to Attend Axpona 2024 as I was looking forward to meeting you.

Maybe a Seattle AudioFest, 2023 isn’t an option for me, but 2024 is a possibility.

Seattle AudioFest

1 Like

Worst trip ever for me:
I flew into Rome, had a meeting in a windowless room at the airport for three hours, got right back on a plane and came home, never leaving the airport property. Ugh.

2 Likes

It could have been much worse, if something similar to a Liam Neeson movie happened.

1 Like

Worst trip for me ever:
I was living in Virginia Beach and flew to Hawaii. I was supposed to be there for eight weeks. When I arrived at the hotel the red light was blinking in my room, it was a message from by boss. I called him, and he told me he needed me to be in Capetown as fast as possible. I replied “Capetown, as in South Africa Capetown?..no no, no…I am in Hawaii…ARGH!!!”

I called downstairs, had the bellman come up, and headed to the airport. By the time I got there our team admin had booked my flights. Two hours later we were wheels up. When I landed, I was so tired, the sun was so bright, the colors were so intense, I thought I was having an outer body experience.

Once I was situated in my room I slept 12 hours.

Fun factor = Zero.

4 Likes

Vince, sorry to hear you won’t make it. Maybe next year. I’ve been retired for ten years so work trips are somewhat of a distant memory. Most of my trips were to unexciting places. My only trip outside of the country was to Pakistan about 40 years ago. That was an eye-opening trip for a young suburban boy. I enjoyed it so much I brought home dysentery! It did put that “first world problem” quip we use into perspective!

1 Like

Just a heads up regarding Axpona, the Expo itself should not be affected however there is significant construction on the Kennedy Expressway going inbound. Inbound commutes are extended by 45 to 60 minutes. The cause, two lefthand lanes of the Kennedy are closed from Montrose to Armitage for construction through November. The two Reversible Express Lanes are dedicated to inbound traffic only for the duration of the construction. On a recent Saturday trip traffic was backed to Nagle, inbound, and moving at a crawl (a slow walk).

What this means - public transportation, arterial streets, and feeder streets are overloaded as drivers seek alternative routes, according to both daughters who live in the city. Forget using the Eisenhower Expressway as an alternative route as it is impacted as well.

Impact - those considering venturing into the city should seriously reconsider, especially those unfamiliar with navigating in Chicago traffic. Entertainment wise that leaves the venues around the Woodfield Mall, not a great alternative in my experience. Those seeking entertainment options could head Northwest to Barrington Hills or Barrington. A bit of a drive, but worth it. For taverns, there are a few old hangs that I’d frequent, Durty Nellies in Palatine, Penny Road Pub on Cuba Road in Barrington, Kelsey Road House in Barrington, The Village Tavern in Long Grove. Ruth Chris South in Barrington, The Barn of Barrington. For early risers, the best breakfast is Walker Brothers Pancake House in Schaumburg. It is far enough from the mall to be “safe”. If you have access to a rental car and want something with a bit of character these are recommended, versus Mall Fare.

Shriners hats are not mandatory attire.

2 Likes

I can still recall the aroma of dung, cotton candy and peanuts from the many Shriner’s Circus’s of my youth.

2 Likes

The elephants, oh the elephants at the Shriners Circus at The Amphitheater!

1 Like

Good to know. Fortunately I can easily avoid the Kennedy. I’ll be driving into Oak Park from Indy Friday morning, picking up my brother at his condo there, and heading to the venue via the Eisenhower and the Tri-State. Reverse that at the end of the day.

2 Likes

When you mention Shriners I immediately think of George Carlin and feel likewise. I’m outta here …

And for those who are confused by the road names, as a Michigander I have heard of them but could not tell you what is what, so as a public service I offer the following:

Kennedy Expressway - I-90 between downtown and Rosemount. Expressway is a misnomer, every time I have driven this (I have been to southern Wisconsin quite a few times to visit my wife’s relations) is always slow. Now it is just relatively slow, i.e., awful.

Eisenhower Expressway - I-290 between I-90 (see above) and I-294.

Woodfield Mall - about 1-mile due south of the AXPONA venue. I have stayed in this area several times and there a large number of restaurants, most of them are chains. I have never eaten at any of them since Friday and Saturday night they are packed. I don’t like eating alone in a noisy crowded restaurant.

4 Likes

You need to go with Al to his favorite margarita place!

3 Likes

Please share.

Great summary. As far as how traffic is moving on the Kennedy, I-90, those familiar with O’Hare Airport will get the analogy. The conveyor from the parking garage to the main terminal would be considered speedy in comparison.

2 Likes