BHK Stereo And Mono Amps With P10 Regenerator

The BHK manual states:

The BHK should be fed from a P10 Power Plant to improve its effectiveness.”

I assume that a P10 can comfortably run a BHK stereo amp. Can a P10 run two BHK monos or would a P10 be needed for each mono?

What kind of load (amp draw and % load) does a single BHK stereo amp put on a P10?

What kind of load (amp draw and % load) does a single BHK mono amp put on a P10?

What kind of load (amp draw and % load) does two BHK mono amps put on a P10?

You can certainly run two mono BHK from one P10 Power Plant, I have done it many times. When I have the luxury, of course, I pair P10’s with BHK monos for the best results.

The load depends on the what you’re doing with the amps. Just idling each BHK takes (I think) around 125 watts (total 250), so that ain’t nothin’ - where a single BHK stereo takes the same as a single. But, once you’re playing something, they are about the same. The only caveat is impedance of the speaker. If the speaker has big dips, the monos can deliver twice the current of the stereo - though it’s pretty rare they need to do that at power levels that stress the P10 under loud listening conditions.

Again, if you can manage separate P10’s, that’s the way to go - then you never lose any sleep. But a single will handle a pair quite well.

Thanks Paul.

One other question: Can a BHK 250 be stacked on top of a P10?

You bet!

1 Like

Will a P3 for each Signature 300 work?

Hey Mark. That’s not be my recommendation. A single P10 can run both, a P5 for each, but that’d be as low as I would recommend. Would it work? Yes, but again, not recommended.

So, a P5 would be ideal for a BHK 250 running a pair of Maggies???

No, not ideal. Ideal would be a P10. The P5 pair would work but for ideal, a single P10 would be better than even two P5.

Hi Paul,

What about P10 running 300’s and also supplying power to a pair of Quad 2905’s or would you be better off using the P10 simply for the 300’s?

Perhaps the P10 would do nothing for the speakers power supply?

Just thinking aloud.

Regards

Frank

frank7036 said Hi Paul,

What about P10 running 300’s and also supplying power to a pair of Quad 2905’s or would you be better off using the P10 simply for the 300’s?

Just thinking aloud.

Regards

Frank

Yes, I’ve posted some P10 related questions about peak current and suitability with some amplifiers in the Power Products section.

In addition to asking about the BHK’s capacitance and BHK peak current (I did try to find within the specifications), but I can only find a reference to “double” peak current.

frank7036 said Hi Paul,

Just thinking aloud.

Regards

Frank

A P10 would be fine running a pair of 300s - that’s the standard method of choice and makes a huge difference. You’ll see note about it somewhere in these forums when Richard Murrison, owner of Bit Perfect, added the P10 to power his two 300s and nearly fell over it was so good.

The Quads would be fine powered by the P10 and better off for it, though I don’t know if it would make any sonic difference. They’re electrostats and having a a steady voltage definitely helps, but sonic differences aren’t sure since I’ve never tried it.

I have noisy 120 volt AC. There is an aubible hum around 60 to 80 cycles in the speakers when plugging any of several amplifiers into the outlets even if there is no input connected. Would a PS 10 eliminate this noise from the power line?

Unlikely because it’s not typically caused by noise on the power line.

The P10 will certainly lower noise—and rather dramatically—but the type of noise you are describing is usually a ground loop.

You might try going here This tutorial will run you through the process of eliminating hum.

Let us know how it works out. We’re here to help.

Looked through the Power products forum about the P10 High current outputs but I couldn’t see an answer to my query;

Why does the USA P10 have 2 High Current zones with 4 outlets but the Australian P10 version (and I think the EU / Schuko) has 2 HC zones but only 3 outlets? Unless I’m reading the back of my P10 wrong??? I’m sure it is something simple.

Frank7036, not sure about the Australian version, but the EU/Schuko version has nine outlets versus the ten for the US version. I think the logic PS Audio used was six outlets for low power components (preamp, DAC, etc) and the rest for high power (amps). In the US they can fit four high current, on the EU (and presumably Audtralian version) they could only fit three high current. The Schuko outlets are much larger than the US outlets so there was no way to have ten, only nine, so one of the high current outlets had to be dropped. Make sense?

so just size of receptacle, nothing else. Thought it would be simple. Pain if you are using 4 amps though.

According to the manual, the only difference between the HC zones and the rest is that the former have an inrush limiter. From the manual:

“Zones D and E on the Power Plant 10 are marked “HC” for High Current. These zones are identical to Zones A, B, and C in terms of the quality of regenerated, regulated AC output, however also enjoy the benefits of an in-rush limiter. When capacitors or tubes are powered down for extended periods, they drain of their capacitance. Upon powering these devices up, they can demand a lot of current to both turn the unit on and to reintroduce this capacitance. The result in one’s home can, with very high-wattage-draw devices, go so far as to trip the circuit breaker in the residence. An in-rush limiter, such as the one found on Zones D and E of your Power Plant 10, slows the pace of initial AC output. A more gradual rise in output voltage allows the connected device to power up fully while not over-taxing either the P10 nor the mains power.”

Depending on your amps that may or may not be important. Once the amps are powered up, it shouldn’t matter whether they are plugged into an HC or regular outlet.

Just pulled the trigger on 2 x P10. Shunyata conditioners will go and I’ll be PS audio end to end, cabling excepted. Will report P10 impressions against the shunyata triton and hydra. Do these generators require break in?

I’ll be curious to learn what you hear. I replaced two Shunyata Hydra α models (a 4 outlet plus a 6 outlet) with a P5 to run my whole system. The P5 was clearly an improvement. It did get better with a little break-in, a couple of days maybe, nothing like the 200 hours or so that the BHK amps seem to need.

My BHK 250 is arriving tomorrow (yay!). I’ll hook it up to the P5. Even with the P10 on sale, it would be a bit extravagant to get one to run the BHK . . . tempting though.

How is getting a P10 for $3K extravagant relative to paying $3.5K for a P5?

I replaced two P5s with Shunyata, based on lot of shunyata hype. I was never quite sure about the wisdom of this move, based on results I got. I am hoping the P10s will take things up a notch.